Send Topic Print
Worthy GG passes (Read 297 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Worthy GG passes
Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:05pm

One of Australia’s finest: former governor-general Michael Jeffery dead at 83

Former governor-general and decorated soldier Major General Michael Jeffery, who died on Friday, has been remembered as “one of Australia’s finest leaders”.

Major General Jeffery, 83, was a “brave soldier, a dedicated governor and governor-general and a passionate defender of causes”, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Friday.

“Major General Jeffery was a great Australian who served Australia throughout his adult life. He was a remarkable man who I am proud to call a friend,” Mr Morrison said.

“(He) left an impressive legacy. He will be remembered both for his many achievements, and as a man of faith, integrity, decency and warmth.

“On behalf of the Australian people, I express my deep gratitude for one of Australia’s finest leaders and most devoted servants.”

Major General Jeffery was governor-general from August 2003 until 2008, having previously served as governor of Western Australia from 1993 until 2000. It is understood he died after a prolonged battle with illness.

Comments

Samuel
28 MINUTES AGO
I briefed the then GG when I was the comander of the main access point at Camp Smitty (camp Smythe), Southern Iraq, on Christmas day 2005.

It was an 8 hour shift. During the early stages of that shift, I was visited by no less than 3 members of the senior CoC who asked me to rehearse with them the brief I was to give to the GG when he arrived. PC was big even back then.

It was a long boring, pointless brief.

When the GG arrived I got 3 words into my brief before he stopped me and said "LCPL Clarke, I don't need to hear that, just tell me how this works".

I shot a sideways glance at the boot licking entourage before getting into it lol.

A real combat soldier, he saw straight through thier Bullshit lol.

Im now a WO2, and cherish these memories.

RIP soldier.
Likethumb_up7
Mark
39 MINUTES AGO
A grateful nation thanks you Sir. An honour and privilege to have served with you in our Army. Mark 63A
Likethumb_up5
Truth seeker
43 MINUTES AGO
As Governor-General, he presented me with my OAM. He was a true gentleman as General Hurley said.

He astonished me by having committed to memory each of the bios, including mine, of all those who received awards during my investiture ceremony.

A remarkable man and an outstanding Governor-General and an example to all of how one should perform in public service.
Likethumb_up9
Warren
1 HOUR AGO
He was the best Officer we have had since the WW 2 vintage. A real soldier and leader.
He was one of the best Governors Generals. Unfortunately this has made it easy for lesser men to occupy similar positions. Peter Cosgrove excluded.
Peter Jeffery has also taken great interest in the work of Alan Savory with conservation grazing.
Adhering to this would make a difference to our environment. Look it up on TED.
One of the truly great honest Australians ever.
Likethumb_up7
Ian
1 HOUR AGO
Your duty is done with distinction Sir.  We thank you sincerely for your exemplary service to our nation.
May you Rest In Peace. 🇦🇺🇦🇺

- ex serving Australian Army officer and quiet Australian.

Likethumb_up5
Paddyboy
1 HOUR AGO
Maj. Gen Jeffrey demonstrates why former serving military officers are invariably the best people to serve as Governors and GGs. People who’ve put their lives on the line and had to send others into harm’s way in service of their country tend to be grounded individuals with no agendas. RIP

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Worthy GG passes
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:10pm

Never knew him. Sounds decent though.
Fan of Sir Isaac Isaacs.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:27pm

The arsehole was an unworthy Freemason. Members of secret societies should not hold government positions.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:38pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:27pm:
The arsehole was an unworthy Freemason. Members of secret societies should not hold government positions.

Idiots like you make Freemasonry  more 'mysterious' than it really is.  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:45pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:38pm:

Idiots like you make Freemasonry  more 'mysterious' than it really is.  Roll Eyes

It is a secret society that accepts both criminals and police as members who associate out of view of the public.

That is not a mystery. It is corrupting.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:59pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:45pm:

It is a secret society that accepts both criminals and police as members who associate out of view of the public.

All human endeavours are corrupt to some degree be it for sex like Islam or power like Israel.
The rest you lay at Freemasonry is up there with the Loch Ness Monster.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 12:11am

Jasin wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:59pm:

All human endeavours are corrupt to some degree be it for sex like Islam or power like Israel.

Are you a Freemason?

Do you want to be?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 7:14am

another freeloader living of an obscene pension bites the dust......too many more to count.

But one little turd in particular is living far far too long

howard the coward.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 7:51am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 19th, 2020 at 12:11am:
Jasin wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:59pm:

Are you a Freemason?

Do you want to be?

You're a pheckin Free Loader ... jog on numpty.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print