Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
11,000 scientists declare climate emergency ! (Read 3323 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

11,000 scientists declare climate emergency !
Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:16am

and yet the LNP and co wants everyone to believe the exact opposite Sad

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/11-000-scientists-from-around-the-world-unite-to-dec...

Quote:
11,000 scientists from around the world unite to declare global climate emergency

More than 11,000 scientists from 153 countries have come together to declare a climate emergency and create a six-step plan to help humanity mitigate the effects of man-made global warming.

A group of 11,000 scientists from over 153 countries have formally declared a 'climate emergency' after analysing over forty years of global data.

The data showed immediate action needs to be taken to stop global warming or else widespread human suffering is likely to occur, they said.

The team of scientists, which included Australian Dr Thomas Newsome from the University of Sydney, analysed a range of measures - including surface area, population growth, fertility rates, carbon emissions and energy use - before they came to their declaration.

Dr Newsome is hopeful the report published on Wednesday in the journal BioScience will prompt a global response, particularly from governments who he believes have lacked initiative.

"There's been little movements globally in terms of tackling the issue of climate change and so our major goal was to really come up with a new and broad set of graphical indicators to illustrate both the impacts that the humans are having on the climate and also the negative feedback loops associated with climate change," Dr Newsome said.

The declaration not only warns of the dangers of climate change but provides six areas humanity should immediately act on if they want to mitigate the impacts of global warming, these being energy, short-lived pollutants, nature, food, economy and population.

Dr Newsome is confident with the right federal policy, global warming can be combatted.

"A clear policy that signals to the business community that they are going to act on climate change and a clear policy to the people that they are going to act on climate change in a way that is going to change the trajectory of these graphs both at a country level and a global level,” he said.

“I think they could also be encouraging individuals to change their individual behaviour to help meet those goals because lots of small steps will help meet those global goals as well."

‘The first step towards fixing a problem is admitting you've got a problem’
The declaration has been welcomed by Australian environmental advocacy groups and politicians alike.

Leader of the Greens Party Adam Bandt is hopeful federal parliament will follow in the footsteps of the thousands of scientists and finally declare a climate emergency in Australia before it is too late.

"We've got farmers who are suffering through record drought, we've got towns that have been told they might run out of water, we had parts of Australia start burning barely a couple of weeks out of winter, we are in a climate emergency and the first step towards fixing a problem is admitting you've got a problem,” Mr Bandt said.

“If the parliament follows the lead of the scientists and declares a climate emergency then we can refocus the whole of the countries efforts into stopping the climate crisis getting worse,” he said.

Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF) CEO Kelly O'Shanassay also wants to see the government address the climate emergency, as everyday Australians, not only scientists are calling for immediate climate action.

"Business is speaking up, the head of the defence force, celebrities around the world are speaking up, investors are speaking up, 300,000 students last month in the streets of Australia are speaking up,” Ms O’SHanassay said.

“Everyone is now saying that climate change is here: 'I can see it outside my window, I can see the drought, I can see the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef'.”

“People are really worried about it and it is now pretty much everyone, from every walk of life is saying to our government please take action, because our lives depend on it," she said.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 11,000 scientists declare climate emergency !
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:18am

Quote:
‘How good is mining for Australia!’

https://sl.sbs.com.au/public/image/file/0d6f3447-85d5-432b-bcd2-05c3659af283

It looks unlikely the coalition will take immediate action with the declaration occurring just days after Prime Minister Scott Morrison reiterated his government's commitment to supporting Australia's mining industry as he believes it is integral to the nation’s economy and future.

"Nothing more clearly defines, I think, a Liberal-Nationals coalition government than our strong, full-throated support for traditional industries like mining. How good is mining for Australia,” he said.

The burning of coal, however, is one of the leading causes of global warming, a fact ACF CEO Kelly O’Shanassay warns the government cannot afford to continue to ignore.

"Science is very clear on it, they've been told that, yet our Prime Minister as Treasurer go's into parliament, holds up a lump of coal and his government are very keen to continue to build new coal mines and new coal plants,” Ms O’Shanassay said.

“This is very, very dangerous for our future, especially when we've got the renewable energy that we can build now, that is cheaper now, that is reliable now.”

“This is not a choice between the environment and jobs - we can actually have electricity, we can have the jobs that they all produce but from renewable sources," she said.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/11-000-scientists-from-around-the-world-unite-to-dec...

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:22am

Hi Nail,
This should be in the Environment forum.

If CO2 is the cause then the real problem
is over population.
How can we stop men from putting it in?

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 10:19am

I agree that Climate Change is an issue. However, if we indeed had a climate emergency, the IPCC would've mentioned it years ago based on their accumulation of data over the last 40 years. This "Climate Emergency" is being driven by a bunch of fear mongering hippie wannabes and a sixteen year old sook! All they're doing are playing into the hands of the Natural Gas and Mining Industries, who stand to benefit the most through large scale renewable energy development.

Geoengineering would be your best and most affordable way to stop Climate Change tomorrow if everyone was serious about stopping it.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:03am

Geothermal energy  has hardly
been looked at in the world.
If you drill down deep enough the
temperatures can easily be over
500 degrees Celsius anywhere
on the planet.
In fact the interior of Earth is
hotter than the surface of the sun.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:46am

Those 11,000 scientists are not all climate scientists. remember it was they who said only climate scientists should pontificate on climate.

And the CO2 theory is just that. The world use of fossil fuels burgeoned from the 1940's to the 1970's. And what happened? There was a fear the earth was tring a new ice age as temperatures cooled.

Now without fossil fuel remember that to mine, refine ores you can't rely on batteries.

A single 1.8-MW onshore wind turbine requires over 1,000 tons of steel, copper, aluminum, rare earth elements, zinc, molybdenum, petroleum-based composites, reinforced concrete and other raw materials.

And solar panels require silica for the glass and semiconductors.

IP Logged

Dwayne

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 3:21pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:22am:

Men "putting it in" isn't the problem. Wink

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 2:18pm

minarchist wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 10:19am:
I agree that Climate Change is an issue. However, if we indeed had a climate emergency, the IPCC would've mentioned it years ago based on their accumulation of data over the last 40 years. This "Climate Emergency" is being driven by a bunch of fear mongering hippie wannabes and a sixteen year old sook! All they're doing are playing into the hands of the Natural Gas and Mining Industries, who stand to benefit the most through large scale renewable energy development.

Geoengineering would be your best and most affordable way to stop Climate Change tomorrow if everyone was serious about stopping it.

so where actually is this "large scale renewable energy development" ??

If I can charge up an electric vehicle from my own rooftop PV system WTF do I care about some big oil conspiracy trying to rip me off on my energy needs ? I'm just not going to buy anything from them period when I can create it myself in my own backyard Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 2:57pm

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:10pm

Hey I agree................... Smiley

Lets clean up pollution

Lets stop deforestation

Lets clean the plastic in the oceans

Lets convert to green energy making it cheap for everyone

Lets stop corporations from polluting creeks, rivers and oceans

Lets re-cycle

Lets do everything to remedy what man has been doing to the environment for years

But don't try and seel me a quick one by saying that mans emissions of CO2 are the net cause of climate change.

In other words don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

Or that a carbon derivatives market will save us, just keep on polluting but now you pay, yeah sure that is the antidote for sure.

Climate change has and will always happen, man cannot stop it or control it.

All these activist are just brain washed sheeple.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:12pm

Hi Nail,

is over population.

Don't wish too hard.

The UN might tell all women to shut up shop.

Then what will you do....???

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:22pm

Ajax wrote on Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:12pm:
Hi Nail,

is over population.

Don't wish too hard.

The UN might tell all women to shut up shop.

Then what will you do....???

If we don't do something to stop the population explosion
then nature will do it for us -
but in a very cruel way.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:40pm

Ajax wrote on Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:10pm:
Hey I agree................... Smiley

Lets clean up pollution

Lets stop deforestation

Lets clean the plastic in the oceans

Lets convert to green energy making it cheap for everyone

Lets stop corporations from polluting creeks, rivers and oceans

Lets re-cycle

Lets do everything to remedy what man has been doing to the environment for years

But don't try and seel me a quick one by saying that mans emissions of CO2 are the net cause of climate change.

In other words don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

Or that a carbon derivatives market will save us, just keep on polluting but now you pay, yeah sure that is the antidote for sure.

Climate change has and will always happen, man cannot stop it or control it.

All these activist are just brain washed sheeple.

Half the CO2 in the atmosphere is attributable to human activity. Ignoring or denying it won't make it go away or fix the underlying problems.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:45pm

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 4:11pm

From their manifesto -

Quote:
Energy. Implement massive conservation practices; replace fossil fuels with clean renewables; leave remaining stocks of fossil fuels in the ground; eliminate subsidies to fossil fuel companies; and impose carbon fees that are high enough to restrain the use of fossil fuels.

Except of course renewables are neither "clean" nor "green". From child labor in the Congo for the cobalt to the mess in China for the neodymium.

Quote:
Short-lived pollutants. Swiftly cut emissions of methane, hydrofluorocarbons, soot and other short-lived climate pollutants. This has the potential to reduce the short-term warming trend by more than 50 percent over the next few decades.

Now all we have to do is find a way to stop the termites and the mangroves emitting the dreaded methane.

Quote:
Nature. Restrain massive land clearing. Restore and protect ecosystems such as forests, grasslands and mangroves, which would greatly contribute to the sequestration of atmospheric carbon dioxide, a key greenhouse gas.

So mangroves are good despite the methane emissions.

Quote:
Food. Eat mostly plants and consume fewer animal products. This dietary shift would significantly reduce emissions of methane and other greenhouse gases and free up agricultural lands for growing human food rather than livestock feed. Reducing food waste is also critical – the scientists say at least one-third of all food produced ends up as garbage.

Animal products - eggs,dairy foods. Roll Eyes

Quote:
Economy. Convert the economy’s reliance on carbon fuels to address human dependence on the biosphere. Shift goals away from the growth of gross domestic product and the pursuit of affluence. Curtail the extraction of materials and exploitation of ecosystems to maintain long-term biosphere sustainability.

So those Congolese kids should not aspire to anything better; nor the Chinese. Australians should forego their wage rises.

And of course no more metals for wind generators, solar panels, batteries.

Quote:
Population. Stabilise global population, which is increasing by more than 200,000 people a day, using approaches that ensure social and economic justice.

And this social and economic justice will be determined by whom?

And apparently Professor Mickey Mouse and Professor Dumbledore appeared as signatories.

They also don't define "uninhabitable", what temperature is "cold" or "hot". The fact none of the 11,000 helped write or review the IPCC reports certainly doesn't add any credence. But they did manage to get the facts wrong using the IPCC. Mistaking "Carbon taxes" with "Carbon prices"  and others.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2019 at 4:21pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print