Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
132 nations have lower suicide rate than Australia (Read 1264 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
132 nations have lower suicide rate than Australia
May 12th, 2019 at 5:35pm

... and those countries don't have Ozpolitic denizens Yadda and Gordon et al.

A suicide every three hours in Australia, 8 a day.

"despite all the campaigns around suicide prevention staged in the past 20 years rates are continuing to rise."

"These high numbers can be largely attributed to a rise in the suicide rate among middle-aged and young women."

"In 2016, suicide was the leading cause of death among all people 15-44 years of age."

https://anglicaresa.com.au/6-startling-facts-about-suicide-in-australia/

Quote:
6 Startling Facts About Suicide in Australia

In Australia an average of eight people take their own lives every day; that’s one every three hours.

Over the years countless organisations have been created to bring this too often overlooked issue into the light, but despite all the campaigns around suicide prevention staged in the past 20 years rates are continuing to rise.

September 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day #WSPD2018, and this year’s theme is ‘Working Together to Prevent Suicide’.

In order to remind us of just how many Aussie families are touched by suicide each year we thought we’d compile a few startling facts that highlight the sheer scale of the issue.

1. In 2016, an average of 7.85 deaths by suicide in Australia each day
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) in 2015 our suicide rate hit a 13-year high, when  3,027 Australians took their own lives.

In 2016 there was a small reduction in this number, however there were still 2,886 people who died by suicide.

These high numbers can be largely attributed to a rise in the suicide rate among middle-aged and young women.

Suicide rate rise
2. Men are three times more likely to take their own lives
Consistently over the past 10 years, the number of suicide deaths was approximately 3 times higher in males than females. According to Mindframe, 75% of people who died by suicide in 2016 were male.

While we’ve recently seen an increase in the suicide rate among women, males remain 300% more likely to take their own lives than females.

Suicide Rates
3. Indigenous suicide rates are between two and four times those of non-Indigenous Australians in the 15 and 44 age groups
For those of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent in NSW, QLD, SA, WA and NT there were 162 deaths due to suicide (119 male, 43 female), which was the fifth most common cause of death.

While suicide is a big problem across our entire society, for Australia’s Aboriginal peoples, it’s at epidemic proportions.

As the esteemed suicide prevention researcher Gerry Georgatos recently wrote in The Guardian Australia the figures below may not even represent the full extent of the issue.

“Suicide accounts for more than 5% of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander deaths… In fact in my estimations, because of under-reporting issues, suicide accounts for 10% of indigenous deaths.”

Gerry Georgatos
Aboriginal Suicide Rates
4. According to hospital data, in the 2008-2009 financial year 62% of people who were hospitalised due to self-harm were female
Despite the fact that men are three times more likely to take their own lives than women, females account for more than 60% of hospitalisations from self-harm. And this is a phenomenon that is far from being exclusive to Australia.

According to UK based Psychology professor Daniel Freeman this discrepancy is largely due to the different means that the two genders use when attempting suicide.

Aus Inst of Health and Welfare
5. In 2016, suicide was the leading cause of death among all people 15-44 years of age
In 2016, suicide accounted for over one-third of deaths (35%) among people 15-24 years of age, and over a quarter of deaths (28%) among those 25-34 years of age.

According to the ABS, for those people 35-44 years of age, 16% of deaths were due to intentional self-harm.

The proportion of deaths due to suicide decreases in older age groups, as the likelihood of dying from natural causes of death increases.

6. There were decreases in rates and numbers across most states and territories in 2016 when compared to 2015
The biggest reduction in number was in Queensland, which has contributed to the overall decrease in the number/rate of Australian suicides in 2016. In South Australia the suicide rate decreased by 11 deaths.

Yet the story was all together different in 2014-15, when, with the exception of South Australia and Victoria, all states and territories saw their suicide rate rise.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: 132 nations have lower suicide rate than Australia
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2019 at 3:18am

Listening to the police radio, you would not be surprised at the figures. There was a suicide down the road from me, last week. Last night, I heard of police being dispatched on code 2s for a couple of separate incidents of people threatening suicides. The usual mental health issues being common themes.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:25am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 3:18am:
Listening to the police radio, you would not be surprised at the figures. There was a suicide down the road from me, last week. Last night, I heard of police being dispatched on code 2s for a couple of separate incidents of people threatening suicides. The usual mental health issues being common themes.

With all the LGBTIQSELFISH mentally ill persons around Australia, it's a wonder it's not higher.

We really need to help the LGBTIQSELFISH get their mental state back into normal healthy lifestyle, the suicide rate would drop dramatically.

But with the retard teachers spouting all this male destroying bull shite and doing everything they can to emasculate young men, the rates will only get higher.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:15am

Valkie wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:25am:

With all the LGBTIQSELFISH mentally ill persons around Australia, it's a wonder it's not higher.

We really need to help the LGBTIQSELFISH get their mental state back into normal healthy lifestyle, the suicide rate would drop dramatically.

But with the retard teachers spouting all this male destroying bull shite and doing everything they can to emasculate young men, the rates will only get higher.

Those people are committing suicide because they aren't accepted. Your proposal will make it worse

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:44am

Valkie's neighbors should be on a watch list.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:22pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 8:15am:

Those people are committing suicide because they aren't accepted. Your proposal will make it worse

Spot

What a load of crap. They're more accepted now than bloody hetros

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2019 at 1:35pm

Just about everyone has considered suicide at one or more times in their life

that's how bad things get

Eight Aussies a day are following through with that thought and succeeding

Eight a day, every day

And those in 132 nations, according to the OP, are coping better in life than Aussies

Why doesn't someone hit Morrison and Shorten in the face with it ?

or, why doesn't someone, preferably lots of someone's -- just hit them in the face

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2019 at 2:53pm

this thread needs

a bump

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2019 at 3:29pm

Actually, the highest rate for suicide falls in the geriatric male demographic.

I think this rate would be effected by legalised euthanasia.

The way we as a society treat our elderly is a disgrace.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2019 at 4:08pm

mothra wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 3:29pm:

Actually, the highest rate for suicide falls in the geriatric male demographic.

I think this rate would be effected by legalised euthanasia.

The way we as a society treat our elderly is a disgrace.

seems so

was it always this bad?  Are we just learning about it?  Or is it a symptom of the disposable attitudes and greed?

Woman in Wales was in the news last week.  Pension problems left her down to her last five pounds.  Didn't want to bother her family and pride etc.  Threw herself into a quarry

Oz has to get out of the Commonwealth.  Seems everything imposed by UK govt. on their own soon becomes the template for Australia

UK draconian attitudes to the sick and elderly now echoed in Oz.  Every second week in the UK, media reports that it's welfare depts. have instructed people with terminal illnesses that they're fit to work -- to be followed a few months later by the individual's death FROM that illness

So Centrelink Oz is in lockstep with the inhumane UK policies.  And probably NZ and Canada too, same

Sure, there are some malingerers who would rather live on the smell of a welfare greasy rag, but there are also those like the guy in Queensland whose leg was removed by a shark, being told he doesn't qualify for invalid pension ... him and his wife and kids in other words should live on air until the guy can get himself a paying job in an environment where paid work is thin on the ground

Government is robbing the poor, killing the poor and driving the desprate to kill themselves and save government the job

We should be more out there, screaming, threatening these employees of ours (government, politicians, public servants etc) and forcing a better deal for those in dire need

it's OUR money which govt. politicians and public service are living on

We need to get out of the Commonwealth Swamp.  And then we need to organise a revolution and make politicians and public servants feel our wrath before we boot them

until we get stuck in and mean it, frail, confused, eldery people are paying to be abused, bashed, killed, robbed and fed slop

too much red tape and 'commissions'

we need to be more involved at street level

until we put them on notice, nothing will change, just more platitudes and promises

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:32pm

2005-6 seemed 'lower' on the Suicide rate.
Was it the period where 'WAR' seemed a nice distraction via doing Mercenary missions for the USA's Oil Agenda in the Middle-East?

Here in the Region of Sahul - the most 'poisonous' region of the World. Little wonder that so many of the Suicides are Drug and Alcohol related - people 'poisoning' themselves.
Maybe people can't cope with the isolation that the Prison of Australia (Azlaroc) presents?

War
Peace
Suicide
Tranquility

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print