Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 22
Send Topic Print
David Attenborough gives dire warning on climate ! (Read 26263 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

David Attenborough gives dire warning on climate !
Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:04am

Who are you going to believe when it comes to climate change  ? Sir David Attenborough or Donald Trump who arrogantly thumbs his nose up at the latest warning on inaction on climate change !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: David Attenborough gives dire warning on climate !
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 10:53am

Sir lastnail wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:04am:
Who are you going to believe when it comes to climate change  ? Sir David Attenborough or Donald Trump who arrogantly thumbs his nose up at the latest warning on inaction on climate change !!

How many people will listen to Attenborough; climate change comes very slowly and people want only quick results; sad as it may be, Trump will prevail.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 10:57am

If anyone should know what is happening throughout the world's environments ... Sir David Attenborough should know. He's spent his whole life out there studying the environment.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:37pm

I would rather believe Sir David Attenborough, 97% of climate scientists and my own eyeballs rather than any politician or any of the many academics on this forum.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:48pm

I love David Attenborough-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:51pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:37pm:
I would rather believe Sir David Attenborough, 97% of climate scientists and my own eyeballs rather than any politician or any of the many academics on this forum.

Which 97% of climate scientists would that be?

Cook et al's?

"We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming."

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024

So 97.1% of 33.3% (32.6% + 0.7%) of abstracts expressed a position on AGW. So that would make it 32.3% of abstracts. And that is not even close to 97% of climate scientists.

Now about your eyeballs - you might want to get them checked. Wink

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:53pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 10:57am:
If anyone should know what is happening throughout the world's environments ... Sir David Attenborough should know. He's spent his whole life out there studying the environment.

And environmentalists know a lot about AGW? The science is settled? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Frozen Planet: Sir David Attenborough denies misleading viewers over 'faked' polar bear birth

Sir David Attenborough has denied misleading viewers over scenes from the BBC’s landmark Frozen Planet series, which appeared to be filmed in the Arctic but were actually shot in a zoo. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8950895/Frozen-Planet-Sir-Dav...

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:00pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm

lee wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:51pm:
Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:37pm:

Which 97% of climate scientists would that be?

Cook et al's?

"We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming."

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024

So 97.1% of 33.3% (32.6% + 0.7%) of abstracts expressed a position on AGW. So that would make it 32.3% of abstracts. And that is not even close to 97% of climate scientists.

Now about your eyeballs - you might want to get them checked. Wink

The 97% that agree are the ones that agree. Along with Dave.
Can you put that info in a bar graph chart form, it would be a little easier to decipher.
I have 20/20 vision when I am wearing my bifocals.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:09pm by Johnnie »  

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:10pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm:
The 97% that agree are the ones that agree.

No. 97% is the number of abstracts out of 33.3% of the abstracts that expressed an opinion; not  the climate scientists. Wink
And that is only on the fact that there is some climate change.

Only 64 papers out of 11944 thought that the AGW was greater than 50%. About 0.5%.

Can you put that info in a bar graph chart form, it would be a little easier to decipher.

So on what evidence do you rely that it is CO2 "wot dunnit"?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:24pm

lee wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
The 97% that agree are the ones that agree.

No. 97% is the number of abstracts out of 33.3% of the abstracts that expressed an opinion; not  the climate scientists. Wink
And that is only on the fact that there is some climate change.

Only 64 papers out of 11944 thought that the AGW was greater than 50%. About 0.5%.

So on what evidence do you rely that it is CO2 "wot dunnit"?

Do you have eyes or are they painted on.
Surveys of scientists' views on climate change – with a focus on human-caused or anthropogenic global warming (AGW) – have been undertaken since the 1990s.[1] A 2016 paper (which was co-authored by Naomi Oreskes, Peter Doran, William Anderegg, Bart Verheggen, Ed Maibach, J. Stuart Carlton and John Cook, and which was based on a half a dozen independent studies by the authors) concluded that “the finding of 97% consensus [that humans are causing recent global warming] in published climate research is robust and consistent with other surveys of climate scientists and peer-reviewed studies.”[2]

gtrxu1.JPG (29 KB | )
gtrxu1.JPG

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:58pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:24pm:
Surveys of scientists' views on climate change – with a focus on human-caused or anthropogenic global warming (AGW) – have been undertaken since the 1990s.[1] A 2016 paper (which was co-authored by Naomi Oreskes, Peter Doran, William Anderegg, Bart Verheggen, Ed Maibach, J. Stuart Carlton and John Cook, and which was based on a half a dozen independent studies by the authors) concluded that “the finding of 97% consensus [that humans are causing recent global warming] in published climate research is robust and consistent with other surveys of climate scientists and peer-reviewed studies.”[2]

yes petal. Now let's see we have discussed Cook and discovered it wasn't 97% of scientists but 97.1% of 33.3% of abstracts. That should be a blow to his credibility. Strangely to the alarmist it is not.

Doran in conjunction with Zimmerman had a previous paper. They sent out questionnaires. 10,257 Earth Scientists answered. From this they took 79 as their select group. Why so small? Probably it was party time somewhere so it needed to be done fast. What did they "discover"?

Q1. “When compared with pre-1800s levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?” - 76of 79 said risen.Pre-1800's? That was the LIA and 3 people didn't think temperatures had risen.

Q2: “Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?”   75 of 77 (97.4%) answered “yes.” How do you quantify significant? Is that like "more than 50%"? And yet Cook could only get 64 papers out of 11944 to come to that conclusion. The other thing was if they answered the survey with "remained relatively constant" to the fist question they weren't asked the second.

From the full set of questions -

"Q1. When compared with pre-1800's levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?
1. Risen
2. Fallen
3. Remained relatively constant
4. No opinion/Don't know"

Really strange way to do climate research.

Anderegg had his own prior survey too.

"Abstract: The study by Anderegg et al. (1) employed suspect methodology that treated publication metrics as a surrogate for expertise."

"Regarding Anderegg et al. and climate change credibility (PDF)"

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/52/E188

Oreskes as well.

That sure sounds like a circle jerk and confirmation bias to me. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:07pm

Neither. Isn't there a Climatologist out there competent enough to do that? It just seems condescending when you're relying on celebrities to explain why the current direction of the climate is an issue.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:13pm

lee wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:58pm:
Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:24pm:

yes petal. Now let's see we have discussed Cook and discovered it wasn't 97% of scientists but 97.1% of 33.3% of abstracts. That should be a blow to his credibility. Strangely to the alarmist it is not.

Doran in conjunction with Zimmerman had a previous paper. They sent out questionnaires. 10,257 Earth Scientists answered. From this they took 79 as their select group. Why so small? Probably it was party time somewhere so it needed to be done fast. What did they "discover"?

Q1. “When compared with pre-1800s levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?” - 76of 79 said risen.Pre-1800's? That was the LIA and 3 people didn't think temperatures had risen.

Q2: “Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?”   75 of 77 (97.4%) answered “yes.” How do you quantify significant? Is that like "more than 50%"? And yet Cook could only get 64 papers out of 11944 to come to that conclusion. The other thing was if they answered the survey with "remained relatively constant" to the fist question they weren't asked the second.

From the full set of questions -

"Q1. When compared with pre-1800's levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?
1. Risen
2. Fallen
3. Remained relatively constant
4. No opinion/Don't know"

Really strange way to do climate research.

Anderegg had his own prior survey too.

"Abstract: The study by Anderegg et al. (1) employed suspect methodology that treated publication metrics as a surrogate for expertise."

"Regarding Anderegg et al. and climate change credibility (PDF)"

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/52/E188

Oreskes as well.

That sure sounds like a circle jerk and confirmation bias to me. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Nah, what I just quoted was straight out of Wiki, not all of the scientists that agreed were climate scientists.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:15pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:13pm:
Nah, what I just quoted was straight out of Wiki, not all of the scientists that agreed were climate scientists.

And you believed Wiki? The wiki that used to be able to be changed to your views rather than others? Still bad, just not as bad. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:22pm

lee wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:15pm:
Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:13pm:

And you believed Wiki? The wiki that used to be able to be changed to your views rather than others? Still bad, just not as bad. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You should go and correct it then, with your obvious academic skills that shouldn't be too hard.
Wiki never changed my mind, I knew all along and so does Sir Dave.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 22
Send Topic Print