Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Immigration cut within weeks (Read 4215 times)
Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Immigration cut within weeks
Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:27pm

Finally the politicians are catching on to the discontent within the Australian population.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Immigration cut within weeks
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Almost half of Australians want Muslim immigration cut, given that many are undecided and some are happy with present levels the ayes have it.
Pyne has said any cuts will not be on a discriminatory basis,
what happened to national security being a #1 priority.
If he replaced the word "discriminatory" to national security then he would be more true to his words.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:57pm by Johnnie »  

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:51pm

Johnnie wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:33pm:
Almost half of Australians want Muslim immigration cut, given that many are undecided and some are happy with present levels the ayes have it.

If you subtract extremists and dupes the figure is probably less than 20%.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:52pm

Johnnie wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 12:33pm:

"many"?

Only about 5% seem to be undecided.

14% want an increase, and 35% are happy with the current levels.

Moreover, Australians overestimate the size of the Muslim population in Australia.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:03pm

Rehashing figures is not cutting it any more, immigration is to be cut due to overwhelming demand, the politicians can't avoid it any longer.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:09pm

Johnnie wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
Rehashing figures is not cutting it any more, immigration is to be cut due to overwhelming demand, the politicians can't avoid it any longer.

"overwhelming demand" ?

23% want to see a rise, and 29% are happy with the status quo.

Only about 3% are undecided on total immigration numbers.

And, as I said before, Australians overestimate the current size of the Muslim population in Australia.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:21pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:09pm:

"overwhelming demand" ?

And, as I said before, Australians overestimate the current size of the Muslim population in Australia.

Your figures are just the same old tiresome rehash of an apologist. Changes are imminent.
How do you know Australians are overestimating, perhaps its what they see with their own eyeballs, nobody actually knows how many Muslims are here BTW.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:28pm

Johnnie wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:21pm:

"overwhelming demand" ?

Your figures are just the same old tiresome rehash of an apologist. Changes are imminent.
How do you know Australians are overestimating, perhaps its what they see with their own eyeballs, nobody actually knows how many Muslims are here BTW.

Apologist?  Apologist for what?  That makes no sense at all.

First of all, I wouldn't object to an indiscriminate cut to immigration numbers.

And secondly, the latest Fairfax-Ipsos poll says that Australians are overestimating the current Muslim population.

The 2016 census put the figure at 2.6% (so maybe 3% now).

Australians estimate it to be as high as 17%.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:37pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:28pm:
Johnnie wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:21pm:

"overwhelming demand" ?

Apologist?  Apologist for what?  That makes no sense at all.

First of all, I wouldn't object to an indiscriminate cut to immigration numbers.

And secondly, the latest Fairfax-Ipsos poll says that Australians are overestimating the current Muslim population.

The 2016 census put the figure at 2.6% (so maybe 3% now).

Australians estimate it to be as high as 17%.

That is if every Muslim decides to declare they are Muslim, that would be disadvantageous to their cause. What would Allah say to that!

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:39pm

To give Gregg the benefit of a doubt that he probably doesn't deserve, he might not be trying to obfuscate,  he may have just missed the last part of the first paragraph.  Smiley

Quote:
Australian voters are split on whether to cut the number of migrants coming from Muslim countries, as the Morrison government considers an overhaul of immigration and population rules within weeks.

A special Fairfax-Ipsos survey finds only 14 per cent of voters support an increase in the number of immigrants from Muslim countries while 35 per cent believe the intake should stay the same.

But another 46 per cent believe the intake should be reduced a lot or a little - a position backed by a clear majority of Coalition voters and one third of Labor voters.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/fairfax-ipsos-poll-australians-split-on-muslim-migration-ahead-of-new-population-policy-20181118-p50gt0.html

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:46pm

Secret Wars wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:39pm:
To give Gregg the benefit of a doubt that he probably doesn't deserve, he might not be trying to obfuscate,  he may have just missed the last part of the first paragraph.  Smiley

Quote:
Australian voters are split on whether to cut the number of migrants coming from Muslim countries, as the Morrison government considers an overhaul of immigration and population rules within weeks.

A special Fairfax-Ipsos survey finds only 14 per cent of voters support an increase in the number of immigrants from Muslim countries while 35 per cent believe the intake should stay the same.

But another 46 per cent believe the intake should be reduced a lot or a little - a position backed by a clear majority of Coalition voters and one third of Labor voters.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/fairfax-ipsos-poll-australians-split-on-muslim-migration-ahead-of-new-population-policy-20181118-p50gt0.html

Greg is blind in one eye and he can't see out the other.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:51pm

Quote:

I didn't need to include it.

I said:

Quote:

5 + 14 + 35 = 54.

Anyone with a basic understanding of maths would know that that leaves 46% who want immigration numbers reduced.

I hasten to add that 54 is more than 46.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Heheheh, you just can't help yourself can you.

Just under half, 46% of those surveyed believe the immigration intake from Muslim countries, (note I am not conflating with immigration numbers  Roll Eyes), should be reduced.

46%. 

And I spoke too soon, you didn't deserve the benefit of a doubt.   Wink

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:05pm

Secret Wars wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:02pm:
Heheheh, you just can't help yourself can you.

Just under half, 46% of those surveyed believe the immigration intake from Muslim countries, (note I am not conflating with immigration numbers  Roll Eyes), should be reduced.

46%. 

And I spoke too soon, you didn't deserve the benefit of a doubt.   Wink

That's right - 46%.

I don't remember saying anything to the contrary.

54 is still more than 46, though.  Wouldn't you agree?

(And again, I'm not against an indiscriminate cut to immigration numbers.)

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 3:41pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:51pm:

Quote:

I didn't need to include it.

I said:

Quote:

5 + 14 + 35 = 54.

Anyone with a basic understanding of maths would know that that leaves 46% who want immigration numbers reduced.

I hasten to add that 54 is more than 46.

Why would you add that 5.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print