Send Topic Print
Cyclist safety (Read 4314 times)
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Cyclist safety
Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:05pm

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/on-the-road/the-truth-abo...

There’s little love lost between most motorists and cyclists in Australia, and drivers have a long list of gripes about how some riders behave.

A campaign by news.com.au this week, highlighting the legacy of safety activist Cameron Frewer, who was hit by a car and killed last week, has raised plenty of complaints by readers.

But perhaps the biggest issue people on four wheels have surrounds the practice of cyclists riding two abreast on the open road.

The feeling is that riders jutting out into the lane is dangerous and there’s also a perception among many that it’s illegal.

Before this death, Mr Frewer — a campaigner for greater awareness of safe pass laws, requiring motorists to leave at least 1m when passing a bike — spoke about riding two abreast.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Cyclist safety
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:11pm

Anyone who went to primary school in the '60s and '70s, as I did, will remember these safety messages on the back of their school exercise books:

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:34pm

Most lycra clad loonies are their own worst enemies.

They ride like they are made of iron, but in an altercation between a bike and a cor/truck, they will always lose.

I rode a motorcycle for 35 years.
I survived
Do you know why?

I did not take my right of way
I did not harass drivers
I did not cut drivers off expecting them to GIVE ME MY RIGHTS.

I was trained in defensive riding, learning to read the road, avoid incidents and ride safely.

Car drivers do not see bikes.
Now for the lycra clad loonies out there
CAR DRIVERS DO NOT SEE BIKES.

Now this isn't deliberate.
A driver scans the road looking for possible obstructions or danger.
Cars, trucks all move quite fast, and present a clear and present danger.

Pedestrians however move (in comparison to cars) quite slowly and present little danger to the car driver ( as he sees it)
And, as much as you may hate it, bike riders have a similar profile to pedestrians, and they do not differentiate.

Now this isn't because he hates pedestrians, or bikes or dogs or cats, it's just that in his mind it's not an immediate danger.
Remember, a driver has quite a bit on his mind at any given time.
Velocity, traffic, traffic lights, vehicle performance, speed monitoring, road surface etc, etc.
So when he looks in the mirror or looks up the road to make a decision to pull out, he has a fraction of a second, easily missed.

Now, some riders and pedestrians believe their bright colours and the fact that THEY ARE IN THE RIGHT has some influence on the drivers attention, it don't.
We riders are taught to make eye contact, no eye contact, they dont see you.
But lycra clad loonies are so focussed on watching their front wheels, this is impossible.

You have two choices when you hop on a bike, motorised or not
And those choices are
To survive
Or
To be a statistic.

On a final note
I have also seen how bike riders treat pedestrians.
They yell at them to get out of the way, they bump them, scream at them and demand right of way when, in reality, the pedestrian has right of way.

It seems they treat pedestrians as car drivers treat them.

Perhaps it's just a bit of Karna perhaps.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:49pm

Valkie wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:34pm:
They yell at them to get out of the way, they bump them, scream at them and demand right of way when, in reality, the pedestrian has right of way.

This is true.

I've been abused by bike riders several times, out the front of my office, for simply being on the footpath.

Some are unbelievably rude.

They're the ones who make it bad for all the good bike riders out there.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:50pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
Anyone who went to primary school in the '60s and '70s, as I did, will remember these safety messages on the back of their school exercise books:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/ca/86/c4ca86bf0c6c07b043f2f927690f1094.jpg

LSD was also legal back then.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:51pm

On a final note

This is either 1. confirmation bias or 2. the shithole you live in.

Here in Canberra 99% of the time there is no problems. Its the 1 % of dickheads (pedestrians, cyclists, drivers) that are the issue.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:57pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
On a final note

This is either 1. confirmation bias or 2. the shithole you live in.

Here in Canberra 99% of the time there is no problems. Its the 1 % of dickheads (pedestrians, cyclists, drivers) that are the issue.

I hate to do this, but I'm with Valkie on this one.

Here in Perth, bike riders are incredibly rude to pedestrians.

Sure, not all of them, but a fair chunk of them are.

As I said before, I (and others) get abused regularly in the CBD for simply being on the footpath.

I've certainly noticed bike riders getting more aggressive in the last 12 months or so.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:59pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:50pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:11pm:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/ca/86/c4ca86bf0c6c07b043f2f927690f1094.jpg

LSD was also legal back then.

Hey, I'm just tellin' ya how it was.

Every school exercise book had that on the back cover, so we had 'single file' drummed into us as kids.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:46pm

Perhaps cyclist need to revise their safety equipment
If that bloke in the article didn't ride his bike on the road he'd still be alive. I won't ride a motorbike on the road because I am clever enough to work out that it won't be me that kills me...it'll be another motorist. My brother got hit years ago on his motorbike. Motorist took him out on a corner. He didn't die but he no longer rides out there. To dangerous.

Anyway...this is a debate that will never sleep. Roads are built for motor vehicles, simple as that. If you ride a bicycle...walk or whatever out there then you do at your own risk....as the bloke in the article eventually found out.
You're all part of the temporary Australian group.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:51pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:46pm:
If that bloke in the article didn't ride his bike on the road he'd still be alive. I won't ride a motorbike on the road because I am clever enough to work out that it won't be me that kills me...it'll be another motorist. My brother got hit years ago on his motorbike. Motorist took him out on a corner. He didn't die but he no longer rides out there. To dangerous.

Anyway...this is a debate that will never sleep. Roads are built for motor vehicles, simple as that. If you ride a bicycle...walk or whatever out there then you do at your own risk....as the bloke in the article eventually found out.

So essentially you're saying that if I go out onto the road, its my fault I get crashed into. Cool.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:03pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:51pm:

So essentially you're saying that if I go out onto the road, its my fault I get crashed into. Cool.

Not at all.

If you go out on the road...don't be surprised if you do get crashed into....or worse, killed.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:06pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:03pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:51pm:

Not at all.

If you go out on the road...don't be surprised if you do get crashed into....or worse, killed.

Cheers, I will keep that in mind.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:53pm

Who would deliberately drive close to a bike rider and risk an accident....Giving them as much room as possible is common sense....More cycle paths along main roads are required???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:13pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:49pm:

This is true.

I've been abused by bike riders several times, out the front of my office, for simply being on the footpath.

Because motorists are always so polite and respectful, and never use their horns in anger  Wink

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:15pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:13pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:49pm:

This is true.

Because motorists are always so polite and respectful, and never use their horns in anger  Wink

99% are.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print