Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Andrew Dessler, Daniel Cohen on Climate Change (Read 1703 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Andrew Dessler, Daniel Cohen on Climate Change
Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:18pm

Quote:
We're scientists. We know the climate's changing. And we know why.

"At this point, just about everyone recognizes that the climate is changing. Even Donald Trump says, "I think something's happening." Now, the question being debated is why the climate is changing.

Though there may be a public debate, there's no debate among scientists like us — decades of research have demonstrated that human activities, primarily the emission of carbon dioxide from the combustion of fossil fuels, are driving the climate change we are experiencing.

To understand why we are so confident, it's useful to think about climate change as a whodunit. Climate does not change by itself, so scientists are detectives trying to solve the mystery of what has been warming the Earth for the past century."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/science-climate-chan...

Hmm. One wonders why climate changes at all then. It wasn't CO2, apparently, previously. One also wonders why they concentrate on the last century only.

Ans why they ignore the global cooling scare of the 60's and 70's.

Then of course the recent paper that says CO2 is causing cooling over Antarctica.

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Andrew Dessler, Daniel Cohen on Climate Change
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 10:46am

Number of articles in scientific journals published between 1965 and 1979 predicting Global Cooling : 7
Number of articles in scientific journals published between 1965 and 1979 predicting Global Warming : 44

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:55am

minarchist wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 10:46am:
Number of articles in scientific journals published between 1965 and 1979 predicting Global Cooling : 7
Number of articles in scientific journals published between 1965 and 1979 predicting Global Warming : 44

So you are going with the consensus view on climate science? Wink

BTW - Where did you get your info from? Ah I see that blog Skep Sci, that has the misinterpretation of data. From 97.1% of 33.6% of climate papers to magically 97% of scientists. Wink

"What follows is a list of over 285 papers published during the 1960s, 70s and 80s showing there was a near consensus of an imminent global cooling – a point that some activist scientists falsely dispute. They should have been far more careful in their review of the literature."

http://notrickszone.com/285-papers-70s-cooling-1/

http://notrickszone.com/285-papers-70s-cooling-2/#sthash.SxQ2cmJb.dpbs

http://notrickszone.com/285-papers-70s-cooling-3/#sthash.rTVF3ylB.dpbs

From what you wrote over 278 papers must have been published in the 1980's.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:01pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:16pm

Quote:
Climate does not change by itself

So shouldn't we still be a molten piece of rock....??...then

When scientist bend the truth so much you know its BULLSH!T.... Cheesy

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 11:11am

lee wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:55am:
So you are going with the consensus view on climate science? Wink

BTW - Where did you get your info from? Ah I see that blog Skep Sci, that has the misinterpretation of data. From 97.1% of 33.6% of climate papers to magically 97% of scientists. Wink

"What follows is a list of over 285 papers published during the 1960s, 70s and 80s showing there was a near consensus of an imminent global cooling – a point that some activist scientists falsely dispute. They should have been far more careful in their review of the literature."

http://notrickszone.com/285-papers-70s-cooling-1/

http://notrickszone.com/285-papers-70s-cooling-2/#sthash.SxQ2cmJb.dpbs

http://notrickszone.com/285-papers-70s-cooling-3/#sthash.rTVF3ylB.dpbs

From what you wrote over 278 papers must have been published in the 1980's.

For a long time, I was a MMGW skeptic and believed that the drop in sunspot would see a downward shift in global temperatures that would result in a mini ice age. As we approach the end of this decade and as sunspot numbers continue to drop, I questioned whether we'd see this mini ice age by the mid-late 2020's as currently predicted. Reviewing the information that is out there on Climate Change, my current interpretation of the data is that there has been a disconnect between global temperatures and solar output over the last 30 - 40 years, suggesting that CO2 is currently the main driver of global temperatures.

Given that rate of increase in global temperatures has reduced somewhat, but appears to continue in an upward trend, I believe that the continual drop in sunspot numbers will result in a stagnation or a possible drop in global temperatures, which we are currently seeing since cooler ocean waters results in more CO2 absorption. This will probably continue until sunspot numbers begin to increase again. I don 't think that Gore - like predictions relating to Global Warming will come to pass but I think that implementing technologies that reduce CO2 are warranted, although probably not at the rate that some want them to be implemented.

In regards to your links regarding to what the consensus was during the 70's in relation to climate, I think the links demonstrate that was many more papers pointing towards a global cooling trend based on the data and science at the time, which contradicts what was said in the video.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 7:27pm

lee wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
Quote:
We're scientists. We know the climate's changing. And we know why.

"At this point, just about everyone recognizes that the climate is changing. Even Donald Trump says, "I think something's happening." Now, the question being debated is why the climate is changing.

Though there may be a public debate, there's no debate among scientists like us — decades of research have demonstrated that human activities, primarily the emission of carbon dioxide from the combustion of fossil fuels, are driving the climate change we are experiencing.

To understand why we are so confident, it's useful to think about climate change as a whodunit. Climate does not change by itself, so scientists are detectives trying to solve the mystery of what has been warming the Earth for the past century."

Hmm. One wonders why climate changes at all then. It wasn't CO2, apparently, previously. One also wonders why they concentrate on the last century only.

Ans why they ignore the global cooling scare of the 60's and 70's.

Then of course the recent paper that says CO2 is causing cooling over Antarctica.

hey, Lee-who do you work for?

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 7:36pm

Pho Huc wrote on Nov 12th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
hey, Lee-who do you work for?

Not the IPCC. Was there something you disagreed with?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:12pm

Ajax wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:16pm:
Quote:
Climate does not change by itself

So shouldn't we still be a molten piece of rock....??...then

No
I'm perplexed why you and lee would make such a big deal about this quote
It's a fact

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:42pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:12pm:
No
It's a fact

So you have evidence of something that forces climate to change?

You do know the difference between evidence and supposition?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:53pm

lee wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:12pm:
No
It's a fact

So you have evidence of something that forces climate to change?

You do know the difference between evidence and supposition?

Are you saying that the climate changes by itself?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:00pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:53pm:

I am saying no one knows.

let's see "it is the sun". "No it's not"
"It is CO2". "H2O has a larger impact than CO2"
"It is volcanic action". "Volcanic action has short term effects"

But I await your learned response.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:04pm

lee wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:00pm:

You were the one who highlighted the quote in your OP
For once in your life lee why don't you actually state your position on something instead of all this spineless "no one knows"

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:20pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:04pm:

exactly right. And the answer is still the same "no on knows".The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:04pm:
For once in your life lee why don't you actually state your position on something instead of all this spineless "no one knows"

Ah you want me to make something up to appease your sensibilities about man knowing everything. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:29pm

lee wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:20pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:04pm:
lee wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:00pm:

exactly right. And the answer is still the same "no on knows".

You are a jellyfish lee
Too spineless to state your position on anything, just happy to snipe at others who do.
This is why it is a complete waste of time trying to have an honest debate with you

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:36pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:29pm:
You are a jellyfish lee
Too spineless to state your position on anything, just happy to snipe at others who do.
This is why it is a complete waste of time trying to have an honest debate with you

Oh you want an honest debate. Give us YOUR view on the causes of climate change. There must be more than the simplistic CO2 dunnit.

A debate is at least two sides exchanging ideas. So far you have done nothing but "snipe" at my perceived weak response.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print