- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: North Carolina
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 9:12am

“Currently the unspoken plan is to wait until the situation is catastrophic and then respond.”

I heard where  they also believe firing a gun at a Hurricane  will scare it away....

they are already lining the beaches.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 10:02am

Wealthy Americans build homes on risky coastal areas and the government gives them a housing subsidy. That is the kind of welfare that Republicans love.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 1:03pm

"Subsidence along the Atlantic Coast of North America: Insights from GPS and late Holocene relative sea level data"

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2016GL068015

I guess subsidence is outside the remit of "science".

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 8:12pm

And there's another one too:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/14/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-philippines-intl/index....

Philippines evacuates thousands ahead of Super Typhoon Mangkhut.

(CNN)The Philippines is evacuating thousands of people, deploying soldiers and positioning emergency provisions as Super Typhoon Mangkhut threatens more than four million people in the country's north.
The massive storm, the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane, has prompted alerts across east and southeast Asia as both Mangkhut and a second storm, Typhoon Barijat hit the region.
Mangkhut -- stronger than Hurricane Florence which is currently lashing the US East Coast -- is expected to make landfall on the Philippines island of Luzon island early on Saturday. Current wind speeds are up to 285 kilometers per hour (180 mph).

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 12:21am

AiA wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 10:02am:
Wealthy Americans build homes on risky coastal areas and the government gives them a housing subsidy. That is the kind of welfare that Republicans love.

Tell me about this subsidy you speak of. As the owner of two homes I have felt I have been hit really hard on the cost of insurance. Fortunately We no longer own the vacation home which would cost between eight and eleven THOUSAND dollars per year for flood insurance if we had a mortgage! According to the elevation certificate if the first level were eight inches higher the flood insurance would cost just a few hundred dollars per year. Just home owners and windstorm insurance cost over three thousand per year. It's about risk or so they claim! Maybe you don't own property but have read about how unfair subsidies benefit the Wealthy, whoever they are! What constitutes Wealthy today?

Global warming and the fudge they have gone to of Climate change is junk science. These so call experts you believe have a financial stake in supporting it. The Farmers Almanac does a better job of predicting the weather than the National Weather Service. Flood waters have always had a path to lower levels such as coasts and rivers but we have interfered by building where we shouldn't. Water always seeks its own level and will find a path around or through populated areas depending on developments.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 10:21am

Mortdooley wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 12:21am:
AiA wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 10:02am:

Tell me about this subsidy you speak of.

The Federal Flood Insurance Program.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 2:08pm

There is flooding in NC.  There have been some deaths. Which is always sad.

Some of the Newscastors have had their OMG moments.

A little comic relief -

The Weather Channel

Anderson Cooper CNN - standing in a drain.

I'm not sure why they felt the need to over-egg the pudding.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print