Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
South Africa - Johannesburg (Read 1582 times)
Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
South Africa - Johannesburg
Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:52pm

I have been travelling to Joburg over the last few months and need to go there again this weekend.

Warning, Warning...

It is the worst place I have every travelled to and I have travelled quite a bit.

It is dangerous, you cannt walk the streets safely in most areas. Where i stay is quite affluent but they don't want me to walk 150M to a shopping center from the hotel.

I talk to the locals and they say... you just have to be "ware of your suroundings" took me a while to realize what they meant and it is always be on the look out for risking situations and be prepared to run like hell.

Pity really, went to a safari park and it was great. A real pity thungs have deteriated.

Taxi drivers killings each other weekly.
many money trucks highjacked.
Life is worth nothing.

I prefer Saudi and that is saying something. I can walk the streets safely at least.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: South Africa - Johannesburg
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:47am

Shame to hear.
I've known many South Africans (Boers).
Alas, two wrongs don't make a right and now the place is very out of control.
What's worse, that 'anger-hatred' is heading toward Australia (bypassing the already defeated Boers)!

South Africa, traditionally was a great country in some respects. It's still a popular Tourism nation, but like you said - a bit more 'security' orientated.

The way many of them see it. It's one thing to have land that the Boers and Zimbabwean (British) tried to steal (and failed). It's another to see Australia 'stolen' from their 'fellow blacks' (Aboriginals). Their wrath will be like Japs attacking North Americans.
As an Australian. I would be 'very' VERY cautious in South Africa. Always stay within the boundaries of an 'organised' Holiday.
I still have friends and family visit South Africa. No problems, but very restrictive.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:21am

It just sucks. I will do an update next week when I am there.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 9:17am

Super Nova wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:21am:
It just sucks. I will do an update next week when I am there.

Yes - that would be great SuperNova. I think this is one country that does need an update.

Besides my understanding of the country through Boer aquaintences...
Lived with one of the original Anti-Apartheid dissidents that were hounded to Australia (the other two were shot) - where he predicted Kevin Rudd (back in 03') would be our next PM by 07' and taught me Politics with a spanner in his hand.
Worked for a few in the Food & Farming Industry. They said I work like a Boer.
Most Boer's I find are more 'achiever' than Australians - they are very dedicated, hard working guys. Far more 'technical' in their ways than Australians. They are excellent 'Farmers' - but then again, they learned all this by their 'integration' with the Xhosian tribes back before the British came and corrupted the country with 'Politics'.
Having also read "The Washing of the Spears." I have no doubt that it was the British and their Politics that upset the applecart there (as in Zimbabwe too), while the Boers had integrated and assimilated well (and peacefully) with the Bantus. Once the British saw the Boers as a threat - they 'bought' the Coloureds first to be on their side, then some Black Tribes. Of course, the Boers fought the Britishised 'Blacks' and they had Bantus on their side as well. The British then brought in the Aust/NZ'ers as well.
So really, it was their 'Politics' that stuffed things up and the Media propaganda of Politics saving the country through their 'Mandela' is a sad irony to go with it.
Still, its Politics (Media) - that the negative aspect of South Africa thrives on...
...the
'Farming'
aspect seems to have been supressed and forgotten.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 6:02pm

I'm back.

My update.

It was confirmed to me that this place is a real dangerous place to work. Mainly because of the murder rate and muggings.
2 weeks before i got there, my hotel is in Sandton, the business/banking area of Joburg, a man just walking from the shop to the office, that is walking across the street, was mugged in the business area, in the middle of the day, a security guard intervened and was just shot in the head on the spot. A message to the security guards. They will no longer help.

The locals are just waiting for it to get worse. Some predict a civil war. It is no longer back vs whites. It is haves vs have nots.

The corruption is the killer there. They have destroyed their country with corruption.

It is a shithole with an exterior of western civilization in many places. I have to go back a couple more times this year and hopefully never return.

I spoke to a black guy last Friday at the office over Friday drinkies, he said last year he was car jacked. They took everything. He was on the side of the road and there was a little depression. As they were leaving, they started shooting at him, he said he was lucky, he fell into the depression, they rained bullets at him, he didn't move once he fell, they drove off, he was luck because he was protected my a small bump in the dirt between them. Man.... they leave no witnesses. I could go on, we spoke for about 1/2 hour of his experience and the precautions he now takes just to travel to work. He was lucky.

1. Murder
Murder is considered to be the most reliable crime statistic, because most murders can be independently verified, Gareth Newham from the Institute for Security Studies explains.
In South African law, murdered defined as the unlawful and intentional killing of another person.
In 2016/17, the police recorded a total of 19,016 murders. The statistics for 2017/18 show it has increased to 20,336 murders.

In 2017/18, an average of 56 people were murdered every day.

https://allafrica.com/stories/201809110568.html
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:39am by Super Nova »  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:10am

Sorry for the late reply.
Got banned for calling a Troll something it deserved.

Anyway.
I think your post is amazing. How truly the 'Politicisation' of South Africa has ruined it.

I totally agree with you. I can easily see BLACKS V BLACKS Civil War on the horizon, approaching. I'm putting my money on the Zulu Inkatha as being one of the successful fractions to emerge from the upcoming mess.

When one race want's to 'outbreed' another race - it must split in two (war) to breed. While the other race inherits 'Power', rather than 'Family'.
...it's the same process around the world.
Australians 'fighting' over Moslems, etc.

South Africa WILL fall into Civil War and with Zimbabwe suddenly about to 'change' also...

Well, 100 years from now. Australia V Africa might be War on the high seas too.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:16am

Johannesburg has been noted as a very dangerous place since Apartheid ended and the whites were/and are treated as second class citizens.........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:19pm

Every race has its role to play in different parts of the world.
Take a 'sporting' analogy - In Africa, a certain race could be the half-back, but in North America, it's the Full Forward.

And when you say 'white' - are we talking the 'real' whites with blonde hair and 'white' skin, or just the red rangas, blue brunettes or grey raven haired 'pale faces'???

Regardless, I think travel/tourism in South Africa would be a costly experience - just for the intense security.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print