The Power of Now (Read 4479 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
The Power of Now
Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:46pm

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, by Eckhart Tolle

The Power of Now translates the Buddhist philosophical approach to happiness into plain English. It comes across as pop psychology, and is a similar concept to mindfulness, which has had a bit of a run in clinical psychology lately. Tolle tries to incorporate some spirituality and references to most religions (though not mindfulness), but there is a very practical underlying message, especially in the first half of the book. This could be reduced to "stop and smell the roses", except that he explains how to actually do this and what people typically do wrong. I suspect this is the wisdom that some people acquire with age, though they don't necessarily know it, or know how to communicate it. The book is short, because the message is simple. Tolle seems to struggle with language a bit, as if English does not contain the words he needs. The book is written as a series of questions and answers, which gives you the impression Tolle works as some kind of guru. Most of what he says rings true with me, and I could see how some people would get a lot of benefit from it.

The basic message is:

People are unhappy or dissatisfied because they define themselves by their mind - their thoughts and emotions. Their true identity is the (uncritical) observer of these thoughts and emotions, rather than the thoughts and emotions themselves. People struggle to let go of this narrow identity because they have so much invested in it emotionally, and their false identity (their mind) will react with hostility to a challenge to its existence. The mind is focussed on the past and future, rather than simply being in the present - hence the title. This creates a barrier to happiness. For example, dwelling on past wrongs or insults becomes an excuse for self imposed misery. Goals or desires become barriers to happiness. We convince ourselves that we cannot be fulfilled until we have gained or achieved a particular goal, but it is either elusive, or unsatisfying when attained, or simply replaced with a grander goal. Alternatively, the uncertainty about the future can create fear that pre-occupies the mind and hence our identity.

Some previous book reviews:

Sapiens
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1534554530

Why the West Rules ~ For Now
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1404336014

Why Nations Fail
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1394832229

Guns, Germs and Steel
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1198305859

networks vs hierarchies in global power struggles
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1516488950

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Power of Now
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:38pm

It's the truth, FD. Become aware, and you become happy.

This is the only message worth repeating or discussing: the power of now. Forget the Muselman, sustainable fishing policies and the tinted races, if you're not mindful, you're confused.

Eckhardt Tolle has only found a succinct way of saying this. Prophets have said the same for Millenia.

If anyone's interested, let's discuss ways to increase our awareness. I'd like to hear your techniques.

Tolle himself describes a very useful one: ask yourself what your next thought is. Be curious. Wait and see.

Know thyself. You?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:42pm

We'll let master Light comment when he returns.

I read it but it didn't make me feel any better.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:52pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:42pm:

Arise, Master Bobby, the truth is within thee.

Does this fact comfort you?

Either way, be at peace.

And so it is.

Namaste.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:56pm

Sounds like more Enlightenment rubbish. Gross generalisations about what is wrong with humanity, and yet more claims that there are levels of perception. There is no proof that Buddhists are happier than anyone else.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:20pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:52pm:

Arise, Master Bobby, the truth is within thee.

Does this fact comfort you?

Either way, be at peace.

And so it is.

Namaste.

many blessings brother Karnal

and so it is

namaste

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:23pm

Well for the true concept and example of 'Spirituality',
the word 'FASHION' comes to mind.
Have a look at all the 'spiritual' people and they express it mostly via their 'Fashion' and feeling 'cool', etc.
This is where Spirituality mostly exists and can be 'believed'.

Joseph Campbell though, once said "Follow your Bliss"
which basically says "Do what you most enjoy doing (and own it)."

I push this further by saying "Follow your strength, don't chase your weakness."
Basically: A 'physically' handicapped person would be better attaining a few honours degrees rather than try to enter the para-Olympics.  Wink
...like a Blind person takes up Music/Singing (Audio)
...like a Deaf person takes up Art (visual)

Religion & Spirituality (Fashion) are akin.

Alas, the Gays seem to have corrupted Fashion to be considered a 'Gay' thing during Mardi-Gras.
Many 'Work-wear' places and other uniformal, fashion business's must be cringing at the Mardi-Gras Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:49pm

There's no fashion, JaSin. I've visited monasteries that have been going for over 500 years. And they're based on texts that go back 2500 years.

Tolle refers to an age-old universal truth - the truth contained in all major spiritual teachings, including - FD might get a bit cranky - Islam.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:24am

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:49pm:
There's no fashion, JaSin. I've visited monasteries that have been going for over 500 years. And they're based on texts that go back 2500 years.

Tolle refers to an age-old universal truth - the truth contained in all major spiritual teachings, including - FD might get a bit cranky - Islam.

Like I said: Religion & Fashion (Spirituality) are akin.
They go hand in hand - like a 'couple'.
Much like Cooking and Medicine both use 'a blade/knife/scalpel/etc'.  Wink

Writing and Fashion are two 'visual' things. You look to 'read' and same with Fashion.
Hence why in one 'holy' book - a couple (of Jews) were naked in the garden ...and then 'clothed'.  Wink

I've hung out in 'monasteries' up there in the Himalayas.
Yep - they have books and they have 'ceremonial' dress codes to go with it.
Sorry to bring it back down to earth ...but that's really what 'spirituality' is.

Take a look at Australia's 'alternative' people who consider themselves 'spiritually' superior to others ...its all based on how they look (fashion). Nothing more.

The Fashion (Spirituality) of...

Politics/Aquatic (Navy, oceanography, etc) is WHITE
Military/Conservation (protection of animals) is GREEN
Maths (Economics/Money)/the Land is BLACK
Science/Entertainment (Music) is GREY
Medicine/Cooking is BLUE
Art/Aerial (Astronomy, Flight) is RED
Religion/Fashion is BROWN
Sport/Cities is YELLOW

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:43am

did they ask for ID?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:51am

rhino wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:43am:

did they ask for ID?

No. But they did show me how they've been scamming foreigners for decades with their little 'Yeti' skull of yak-hide (and seek WinkGrin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:01am

Quote:
This is the only message worth repeating or discussing

Karnal why have you not been repeating or discussing it?

Why? Were you already 'mindful'?

Do you think he is correct?

Quote:
and yet more claims that there are levels of perception

Not really, unless you think the ability to pay attention to your own thoughts and emotions is somehow special.

Quote:
There is no proof that Buddhists are happier than anyone else.

I am pretty sure the book does not claim there is. In fact I think Tolle puts more effort into linking it with Christianity, but this might be more about his target audience. He claims that many Buddhist sects have effectively abandoned this wisdom.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:16am

ekhardt is one side of the ying yang.

from memory, the guy sat on a park bench for 2 years coming up with his theories.
i think he watched ducks fighting and then immediately forgetting the fight and just getting on with it and thought that nature lived in the NOW so we should too.
its a fair point.

he's a bit too weak sauce to base your whole "direction in life" on.

a lot of spiritual people use the spiritual ideology as an excuse not to get out there and grind it out, up the "narrow road to success".

i would say, combine both.

be that guy who grinds it out, perseveres, loves the harshness of the journey, busts thru barriers and seeks to lead a charged existence but also , learn from ekhardt to spend 20 minutes a day, in peace and gratitude for where you are on that journey.

the good thing about meditation is that, no matter what is going on, for that 20 minutes every day, everything is the same.

this is the contraction phase that fuels the next expansion.

ynig yang and the dao....i think ekhardt just stole these ideas and sold them to Oprah  Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:30am

The duck example is in the book somewhere. I'd like to know how he knows the ducks have forgotten about the fight, or that they are no longer stressed.

This is the path, not the direction, and Tolle does not give any advice on direction. He does devote significant time to explaining how his philosophy does not lead to fatalism and preclude motivation to change. He even argues that his philosophy will make you more likely to achieve the change you want. He makes a sound argument, but history does not necessarily support his claims.

Yuval Harari (who presents Tolle's ideas almost word for word, but attributes them to Buddhism) argues that all the"advances" in human history actually left people worse off than their ancestors, until very recently at least. This is both in terms of happiness as well as more objective measures such as health and workload.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 10:00am

freediver wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:30am:
The duck example is in the book somewhere. I'd like to know how he knows the ducks have forgotten about the fight, or that they are no longer stressed.

This is the path, not the direction, and Tolle does not give any advice on direction. He does devote significant time to explaining how his philosophy does not lead to fatalism and preclude motivation to change. He even argues that his philosophy will make you more likely to achieve the change you want. He makes a sound argument, but history does not necessarily support his claims.

Yuval Harari (who presents Tolle's ideas almost word for word, but attributes them to Buddhism) argues that all the"advances" in human history actually left people worse off than their ancestors, until very recently at least. This is both in terms of happiness as well as more objective measures such as health and workload.

i didnt mind the Power of Now.
his book A New Earth was quite biblical.

i think you have to be very wary when going down the 'spirituality " route that you arent using it as an excuse to put your feet up.

the world is harsh as f**ck.
the world is as unfair as f**ck.

to stay motivated and passionate is damm near impossible.

the advertisers sell this BS about the "golden years of retirement".
the welfare addicts see the DSP as the "big prize".
its tragic.

if you arent very careful, you can use spirituality as an excuse to sit on your arse and not get out there and enjoy the harsh reality of the game.
thats what i see when i see some pot smoking spiritual guy who thinks he is superior to a Wall Street stockbroker because he doesnt need all that cash.
i see a guy who is using spirituality to justify the fact that he was too gutless and too lazy to get in the ring and compete .
i cant see 'the call to adventure" in the ekhardts books.
yet, the bible constantly tells useless individuals to get off their ass and move out...moses, abraham,jonah, isaac...all were told to go on adventure , not sit on their ass and navel gaze  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print