Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recycling may be history (Read 1951 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9200
The Great State of Mind
Gender: male
Recycling may be history
Apr 19th, 2018 at 1:44pm
 
As Ipswich Council is forced to send recycling to landfill, the problem of disposable consumerism is about to get much worse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-19/queensland-council-recycling-dump-to-start...

Everything we see in any main street commercial enterprise, is headed for the dump. At best in 10 year, but more likely 0 to 3: electronics, clothing, furniture, supermarket packaging, construction debris, tires, toys. You name it.

One of the worst is the plastic drinking straw. One use, and into the garbage. When I was a kid, drinking straws were made out of waxed paper spirals. They were plenty strong enough for a milkshake. Why do they have to be made out of plastic now?
Back to top
 

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.
 
IP Logged
 
greggerypeccary
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 155998
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:24pm
 

My rubbish will be on display soon.

"Suburbs around Perth are set to trial transparent bins in a push to spark conversations between neighbours about what we’re binning.

"The clear bins will replace traditional green ones at select homes in Joondalup, Perth, Stirling, Vincent, Wanneroo and Victoria Park over the next two months."
Back to top
 

GOP = Guardians Of Paedophiles
 
IP Logged
 
issuevoter
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9200
The Great State of Mind
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm
 
I've got more pressing affairs than checking my neighbours garbage.
Back to top
 

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.
 
IP Logged
 
greggerypeccary
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 155998
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:31pm
 
issuevoter wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
I've got more pressing affairs than checking my neighbours garbage.


I might put off recycling my Playboy collection.

Back to top
 

GOP = Guardians Of Paedophiles
 
IP Logged
 
Unforgiven
Gold Member
*****
Offline


I have sinned

Posts: 8879
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 4:04pm
 
issuevoter wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
I've got more pressing affairs than checking my neighbours garbage.


Ironing business?
Back to top
 

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan
 
IP Logged
 
Unforgiven
Gold Member
*****
Offline


I have sinned

Posts: 8879
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 4:05pm
 
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:31pm:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
I've got more pressing affairs than checking my neighbours garbage.


I might put off recycling my Playboy collection.



I would have to be careful not to bin Valkie or be accused of dumping toxic waste.
Back to top
 

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan
 
IP Logged
 
greggerypeccary
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 155998
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 5:40pm
 
Unforgiven wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 4:05pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:31pm:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
I've got more pressing affairs than checking my neighbours garbage.


I might put off recycling my Playboy collection.



I would have to be careful not to bin Valkie or be accused of dumping toxic waste.


Use this bin:

...
Back to top
 

GOP = Guardians Of Paedophiles
 
IP Logged
 
issuevoter
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9200
The Great State of Mind
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 2:07pm
 
The Ipswich council's immediate turnaround smacks of political pressure, and rightly so, but our mounting garbage problem is not going away. It is largely due to rampant consumerism, which would be nice, if it all didn't end up in landfill within 10 years.

We now throw away glass pepper and salt shakers after they run out. And chain pharmacies now give standard prepackaged drugs of half again as much as necessary to save on dispensing time. Boxes, blister packs, and drugs, straight into landfill from manufacture.
Back to top
 

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.
 
IP Logged
 
Benson
New Member
*
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 8
England
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 7:26am
 
The human race survived thousands of years without plastic packaging, not sure why we can't manage again. I remember drinks were in either glass bottles or aluminium cans.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Ajax
Gold Member
*****
Offline


CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Posts: 11070
Australia
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 10:26am
 
We could use plastics to fire the boilers of power stations instead of coal.......???

Clean energy....!!!!!

Money to be made here.

Wont be long before someone figures it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidized_bed_combustion
Back to top
 

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos
 
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21590
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:06pm
 
Aluminium burns.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Ajax
Gold Member
*****
Offline


CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Posts: 11070
Australia
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:13pm
 
lee wrote on Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:06pm:
Aluminium burns.


HHmmmm dont know about a technology that uses aluminium as a fuel.

But fluidized bed boilers can eat up paper, cardboard and plastic................ Wink

For fuel.
Back to top
 

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos
 
IP Logged
 
UnSubRocky
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Posts: 26426
Rockhampton
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2018 at 12:47am
 
If Australia can't get its recycling in order that we can't recycle every bit of rubbish we throw away, then we really lack the capacity to look after our country. I don't care the costs. We should be investing in recycling what we have, instead of just running out of things we need in the future. This is getting ridiculous.
Back to top
 

At this stage...
WWW  
IP Logged
 
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Cool Stuff

Posts: 2782
Australia
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2018 at 5:50am
 
In some of the workers camps now they supply plastic reusable containers for everyone's lunches, they used to have Chinese takeaway containers and some guys would use 4-6 a day,  400 man in the camp that's a lot of throw away plastic that's not being lost.
Maybe Tax breaks for companies that use reusable containers that customers can return for reuse. I doubt if many companies would do it out of concern.
Back to top
 

I am me
 
IP Logged
 
miketrees
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 6492
Gender: male
Re: Recycling may be history
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:18am
 

China stopping taking our rubbish is a good thing.

We have been slack in controlling the quality of our packaging because we had someone else to clean up the mess.

Now we need to put some effort into packaging so that recycling is easy.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print