Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Uber's D/less car kills (Read 5561 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Uber's D/less car kills
Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:02am

Link.

Quote:
A woman is believed to have become the first pedestrian killed by a self-driving car, prompting Uber to suspend testing of its autonomous vehicles.

Police in a Phoenix suburb said a self-driving vehicle struck and killed the woman overnight Sunday (local time).

The vehicle was in autonomous mode with an operator behind the wheel when the accident occurred, Tempe police Sergeant Ronald Elcock said.

The woman, 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg, died of her injuries at a hospital.

Cry

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Uber's D/less car kills
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:10am

Very sad, but moving forward driver-less cars are the way to go.

IBI

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:11am

Aussie wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:02am:
Link.

Quote:
A woman is believed to have become the first pedestrian killed by a self-driving car, prompting Uber to suspend testing of its autonomous vehicles.

Police in a Phoenix suburb said a self-driving vehicle struck and killed the woman overnight Sunday (local time).

The vehicle was in autonomous mode with an operator behind the wheel when the accident occurred, Tempe police Sergeant Ronald Elcock said.

Cry

So uber wants to get rid of the actual drivers? That will bugger up a lot of jobs.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:14am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:11am:
Link.

Quote:

Cry

So uber wants to get rid of the actual drivers? That will bugger up a lot of jobs.

Spot

Absolutely.  Always has.  It is the only way their business model can work.  However, I doubt the public will buy using any Public Transport thing which is driverless.  Planes can fly themselves now, but the cockpit is still fully crewed.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:15am

Link.

Quote:

Cry

Spot

Don't single out Uber. Just about all car manufactures are working on various levels of automation.

IBI

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:46am

My question

These cars are very accurate and track all movement as well as possible collision

How did the woman get in the road of this vehicle?

Did she walked out zombi like from behind another vehicle while playing with he phone?

Pedestrians truly need to get with the programme
Cars should have the right of way on the road
The only exceptions should be where there is a crossing or traffic lights

This crap about pedestrians always having the right of way is insane and only in place so that the grubberment can blame someone to pay for the idiots injuries.

I taught my children and grandchildren to know that the road is a dangerous place and to stay off it
And if you do have to cross it, keep a wary eye out and never assume the driver sees you

Something this pedestrian should have learned
It might just have saved their life.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:42am

Link.

Quote:

Cry

Spot

In Malaysia Grab has taken off in a big way and is overtaking Uber. Everyone with a late model car is jumping on the bandwagon and is either doing it full time or part time to supplement their income. The fares are dirt cheap, I mean really dirt cheap and it makes no different if it is one passenger or four passengers, it's the same price. 9RM gets you a fare into the city or about 10km's. That's equivalent of $3 AUD !! Lots of people who didn't have a job now have a job and it's basically decimated the taxi industry. Hardly a taxi in sight now !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:48am

Johnny Cab anyone?
(Not too dissimilar to using your Navcom/Tom Tom, etc)

th50C4N1PP.jpg (18 KB | 41 )
th50C4N1PP.jpg

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:50am

Sir lastnail wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:42am:
Link.

Quote:

Cry

Spot

In Malaysia Grab has taken off in a big way and is overtaking Uber. Everyone with a late model car is jumping on the bandwagon and is either doing it full time or part time to supplement their income. The fares are dirt cheap, I mean really dirt cheap and it makes no different if it is one passenger or four passengers, it's the same price. 9RM gets you a fare into the city or about 10km's. That's equivalent of $3 AUD !! Lots of people who didn't have a job now have a job and it's basically decimated the taxi industry. Hardly a taxi in sight now !!

There have been a lot of women sexually and physically assaulted in Grab Cabs.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:05am

I must admit - the whole Uber/Grab/etc style of commution is the Godsend of alleviating traffic congestion in the name of
CAR POOLING.
Grin

You know 'Cities' have become pretty sad, when things have to be 'Car-Pooled' (and paid for).  Grin Grin Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:07am

Gordon wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:15am:
Link.

Quote:

Cry

Spot

Don't single out Uber. Just about all car manufactures are working on various levels of automation.

Im not singling out anyone - it was the first i heard of it.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 1:40pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:14am:
Absolutely.  Always has.  It is the only way their business model can work.  However, I doubt the public will buy using any Public Transport thing which is driverless.  Planes can fly themselves now, but the cockpit is still fully crewed.

The public has 'bought' using them for ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Grade...

The new Sydney metro will be driverless too  Grin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:36pm

Report in today's Courier Mail says that the Car, in self drive mode, was speeding and that the supervising human had a serious criminal record, and seemed very inattentive, looking down and out the window...saw the pedestrian too late.

'Driverless' Goober car in autonomous mode exceeding the speed limit.  Gawd, if they can't get that right......?????

I'll chase a link.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 1:27am

We will just have to counter those killer driverless cars with gigantic mutant killer cats. But... at what cost?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 1:29am

Jasin wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:48am:
Johnny Cab anyone?
(Not too dissimilar to using your Navcom/Tom Tom, etc)

But as you might recall. Johnny Cab went homicidal when Quaid dicked him for the fare.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print