SSM Reversed (Read 2281 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

SSM Reversed
Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:35am

Bermuda abolishes same-sex marriage after legalising it a year ago

Lindsey Bever

In an unusual move, Bermuda has abolished same-sex marriage less than a year after it was legalised, replacing same-sex unions with domestic partnerships.

On Wednesday, Bermuda Governor John Rankin signed into law a bill that reverses an earlier Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage.

The new law gives domestic partners in the British island territory similar rights as married couples - but without the legal title

The government said the Domestic Partnership Act was "intended to strike a fair balance" between opposing parties on the conservative island.

"While the majority of Bermudians do not agree with same-sex marriage," according to a statement on the government's website, "it is the Government's belief that this Act addresses this position while also complying with the European Courts by ensuring that recognition and protection for same sex couples are put in place.

"The Act is intended to strike a fair balance between two currently irreconcilable groups in Bermuda, by restating that marriage must be between a male and a female while at the same time recognising and protecting the rights of same-sex couples."

The British government said it disapproved of the move but couldn't rightfully intervene, and critics called it a dark day for civil rights.

"This is not equality," Joe Gibbons, a gay Bermudian who is married to his partner, told The Guardian. "And the British government has obviously just said, 'This is not our fight.' "

A spokesman for British Prime Minister Theresa May said Britain was "seriously disappointed" by the new law, the Associated Press reported. But, the spokesman said, the bill "has been democratically passed by the Parliament of Bermuda, and our relationship with the overseas territories is based on partnership and respect for their right to democratic self-government".

Rankin was appointed by the United Kingdom.

The Supreme Court of Bermuda ruled in May 2017 that same-sex couples could legally marry. Since that time, a handful of couples have done so, The Guardian reported. Despite the new law, marriages of those couples will still be recognised.

Same-sex marriage has been a sensitive issue in Bermuda. Voters previously opposed it in a referendum, and, in December, Bermuda's Senate and House of Assembly approved the Domestic Partnership Act.

The government said this week that the act guarantees gay couples "equivalent" rights as married couples when it comes to inheritance, pensions and property, as well as the right to make important medical decisions for the other partner.

The Human Rights Campaign denounced the new law.

"Governor Rankin and the Bermuda Parliament have shamefully made Bermuda the first national territory in the world to repeal marriage equality," Ty Cobb, director of Human Rights Campaign Global, said in a statement.

"This decision strips loving same-sex couples of the right to marry and jeopardises Bermuda's international reputation and economy. Despite this deplorable action, the fight for marriage equality in Bermuda will continue until the day when every Bermudian is afforded the right to marry the person they love."

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: SSM Reversed
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:31pm

A judicial determination legislated out by Government.  Not a reversal of Government decision.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:41pm

Are you arguing with yourself or the article? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:45pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:41pm:
Are you arguing with yourself or the article? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wassup, English not your first language?  Get a four year old to help you out, and stop wasting my time.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:49pm

stop wasting my time.

Yes dont take his job!

IP Logged

Dr Mengele

Australian Politics

The Fourth Reich
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:59pm

The world should be exterminating homos not giving them rights to get married.  Cool

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Dr Mengele wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:59pm:
The world should be exterminating homos not giving them rights to get married.  Cool

Your family should just let you waste your life smoking crack and laughing at you...  Wink

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:18pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:45pm:
Grendel wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:41pm:

Wassup, English not your first language?  Get a four year old to help you out, and stop wasting my time.

I'm sorry are you arguing with yourself or the article...

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:36pm

Perhaps this will be the start of the world waking up to the sickness that is poofterism

We can only hope

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:37pm

The tide is at its ebb, common sense will dictate the future of mankind, SSM is just a flash in the pan soon to be ridiculed and overturned by all countries.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:10pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:36pm:
Perhaps this will be the start of the world waking up to the sickness that is poofterism

We can only hope

Valkie woke up next to a man?

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:29pm

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:10pm:

We can only hope

No rational argument un4? No positive input or disabuse of what he said? Slights at people or name calling will not win others over to your way of thinking.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:38am

Setanta wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:29pm:

We can only hope

No rational argument un4? No positive input or disabuse of what he said? Slights at people or name calling will not win others over to your way of thinking.

Valkie complaineth too much methinks. Valkie doesn't make any positive or rational posts. He only whines incessantly.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:25am

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:38am:
Setanta wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:29pm:

We can only hope

Valkie complaineth too much methinks. Valkie doesn't make any positive or rational posts. He only whines incessantly.

He did at least stay on topic, whether we agree with him or not, and he did not slip into ad hom. Calling people names or insinuating they are gay does not advance your position. Would you agree?

edit: I'm not sure a short term rush of self righteousness is a goal one should aim for when trying to make a point.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:31am by Setanta »  

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:06am

Good.

SSM is an insult to humankind. These people are psychologically unstable. I have no problem with them pretending to be normal, but they're not. I will not pretend to accept them as normal when clearly they are not right in the head.

It's getting out of control so it's rime to cut the crap and get them the help they need.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print