Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leyonhjelm to host Milo Yiannopoulos (Read 1936 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Leyonhjelm to host Milo Yiannopoulos
Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:28pm

David Leyonhjelm to host disgraced alt-right figure Milo Yiannopoulos

Disgraced alt-right figure Milo Yiannopoulos will speak at Australia's Parliament House next month at the invitation of libertarian senator David Leyonhjelm.

Yiannopoulos, whose fraternisation with American white nationalists was exposed last month by Buzzfeed, has been disowned by large swathes of the US right following multiple scandals.

Earlier this year the 33-year-old lost his job with right-wing publisher Breitbart, and his book contract was ripped up, after he appeared to condone paedophilia in some circumstances by arguing boys as young as 13 could consent.

But Senator Leyonhjelm, who also courts publicity with deliberately controversial missives, has invited Yiannopoulos to address MPs and staff in Canberra next month while the commentator is on a national speaking tour.

The NSW senator and leader of the Liberal Democratic Party promised a "very interesting event that is unlikely to be repeated" in an email sent to colleagues and parliamentary staff on Thursday.

He described Yiannopoulos as "a thought-provoking commentator, author of the New York Times best-seller Dangerous and self-described cultural libertarian".

Part of the Buzzfeed expose involved video tape of Yiannopoulos performing karaoke in front of a group of people who raised their arms at him in a Hitler salute.

His relationship with his former boss Steve Bannon – who was until recently US President Donald Trump's strategic adviser – has also reportedly soured.

In a recent interview with Observer magazine, Yiannopoulos – who is gay and of Jewish heritage – portrayed himself as essentially an internet troll whose words and actions could not be taken seriously or at face value.

He said the paedophilia scandal had inoculated him against further defamation and made him "literally invulnerable".

"I want the whole world to be like an internet comment section," he said. "I'm a presence. I'm an idea. And I'm gently nudging the pendulum back from speech codes and feminism. My real ability is activating cells in unexpected places and producing wonderful results."

As news of the event rapidly spread around Parliament House, Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young replied to all staff questioning why Yiannopoulos had even been allowed to visit Australia.

"It astounds me that a member of our Parliament would roll out the red carpet to a white supremacist and paedophilia apologist," she said.

In reply, Senator Leyonhjelm emailed all parliamentary staff telling Senator Hanson-Young to "get over it". "Milo has the same right to speak as you. It's not compulsory for you to listen or to agree," he said.

Senator Leyonhjelm was unavailable for an interview on Thursday afternoon but in response to questions from Fairfax Media said Yiannopoulos spoke about issues relevant to Australians including political correctness, gender identity and free speech.

"I am simply hosting this event. While I agree with about 90 per cent of what Mr Yiannopoulos says, I am not prepared to trawl through each and every pronouncement he has ever made and endorse or dis-endorse it," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

"This is simply an opportunity to hear Mr Yiannopoulos' views first-hand and to challenge those views with questions if you so wish."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/david-leyonhjelm-to-host-d...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Leyonhjelm to host Milo Yiannopoulos
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:30pm

Who said he was disgraced?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:35pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:30pm:

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:47pm

Can you categorically say he wasn't?

Isn't a pedophilia scandal enough for you?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:11pm

Hard getting media attention on the hard right of politics, and so the race to the bottom continues.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:34pm

Bam wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:47pm:

Can you categorically say he wasn't?

Isn't a pedophilia scandal enough for you?

Quote:
A note for idiots (UPDATED):

I do not support pedophilia. Period. It is a vile and disgusting crime, perhaps the very worst. There are selectively edited videos doing the rounds, as part of a co-ordinated effort to discredit me from establishment Republicans, that suggest I am soft on the subject.

If it somehow comes across (through my own sloppy phrasing or through deceptive editing) that I meant any of the ugly things alleged, let me set the record straight: I am completely disgusted by the abuse of children.
Some facts to consider:

1. I have outed THREE pedophiles in my career as a journalist. That's three more than any of my critics and a peculiar strategy for a supposed pedophile apologist.
(a) Luke Bozier, former business partner of Louise Mensch
http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/…/menshn-co-founder-embroile…/
http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/…/…/3746/luke-bozier-arrested/
(b) Nicholas Nyberg, anti-GamerGate activist who self-described as a pedophile and white nationalist
http://www.breitbart.com/…/leading-gamergate-critic-sarah-…/
(c) Chris Leydon, a London photographer who has a rape trial starting March 13 thanks to my reporting.
http://www.breitbart.com/…/tech-city-darling-chris-leydon-…/

2. I have repeatedly expressed disgust at pedophiles in my journalism.
http://www.breitbart.com/…/heres-why-the-progressive-left-…/

3. I have never defended and would never defend child abusers, as my reporting history shows. The world is messy and complicated, and I recognize it as such, as this furore demonstrates. But that is a red line for any decent person.

4. The videos do not show what people say they show. I *did* joke about giving better head as a result of clerical sexual abuse committed against me when I was a teen. If I choose to deal in an edgy way on an internet livestream with a crime I was the victim of that's my prerogative. It's no different to gallows humor from AIDS sufferers.

5. National Review, whose journalists are tweeting about this, published an article defending Salon for giving a pedophile a platform.

6. I did say that there are relationships between younger men and older men that can help a young gay man escape from a lack of support or understanding at home. That's perfectly true and every gay man knows it. But I was not talking about anything illegal and I was not referring to pre-pubescent boys.

7. I said in the same "Drunken Peasants" podcast from which the footage is taken that I agree with the current age of consent.

8. I shouldn't have used the word "boy" when I talked about those relationships between older men and younger gay men. (I was talking about my own relationship when I was 17 with a man who was 29. The age of consent in the UK is 16.) That was a mistake. Gay men often use the word "boy" when they refer to consenting adults. I understand that heterosexual people might not know that, so it was a sloppy choice of words that I regret.

9. This rush to judgment from establishment conservatives who hate Trump as much as they hate me, before I have had any chance to provide context or a response, is one of the big reasons gays vote Democrat.

10. In case there is any lingering doubt, here's me, in the same interview the other footage is taken from, affirming that the current legal age of consent is about right: "And I think the law is probably about right. It's probably roughly the right age. I think it's probably about ok. But there are certainly people who are capable of giving consent at a younger age. I certainly consider myself to be one of them, people who were sexually active younger. I think it particularly happens in the gay world, by the way."

https://www.facebook.com/myiannopoulos/posts/851263248344905

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:35pm

____ wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:11pm:
Hard getting media attention on the hard right of politics, and so the race to the bottom continues.

Milo is a poof who doesn't agree with poofter marriages.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 4:26am

I didn't hear mothballs etc say anything about the Arab man who got off the rape of a 10 year old because he said that the child consented... interesting..  Undecided

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 6:46am

Baronvonrort wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:35pm:

See. Sexuality is an aspect of a person, not a totality.

Milo's neo-nazism, misogyny, and his white supremacy, in other words the alt right agenda, is a stronger influence. Probably because he sees more money and fame in marketing to this segment, to drain their dumbarse deep white pockets.

As he flipped flop support from D.Trump at a whim, I smell a set up. Lets see if further down his career path, he turns on the alt right too.

That would sell a whole lot of new books to a complete new sector. What's that saying ... follow the money.

And Leyohjelm, his desperation is very unlikely to save him, when 0nation and Bernardi are far smarter at playing the media for attention.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 6:49am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 4:26am:
I didn't hear mothballs etc say anything about the Arab man who got off the rape of a 10 year old because he said that the child consented... interesting..  Undecided

People don't have to comment on everything. Like how the Islamophobes have been silent on the christian priests who rape their wives over many years, and the church looks the other way.

Doesn't mean the Isamophobes support the christian church's support of rape in marriage. No?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 7:59am

____ wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 6:46am:

Milo's neo-nazism, misogyny, and his white supremacy...

Milo is a jew with a black partner, how does that make him a neo nazi white supremist?

When the leftards have nothing they hurl ad hominems.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

bwood1946
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:10am

Baronvonrort wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 7:59am:

Milo is a jew with a black partner, how does that make him a neo nazi white supremist?

One homo right winger has the left running for the safe room

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

TPI  VETERAN
bwood1946 bwood1946  
IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:25am

Baronvonrort wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 7:59am:

Here's How Breitbart And Milo Smuggled Nazi and White Nationalist Ideas Into The Mainstream

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-w...

So should all Jews and people who are against Jew Hatred protest Leyonhjelm?

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:48am

Milo is just one of an increasing trend in the right. I doubt he ever believes anything that he actually says, its about money.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:52am

Disgraced alt-right figure Milo Yiannopoulos

Classic PC technique to try and imply a person is some how less worthy by attaching the loaded words "disgraces" 'alt-right"

It is an anti intellectual slur, pretty obvious that there will not be any real argument to back up this statement.
Why would you need to use a slur if there were more honest evidence.

If I were to say, "Oh you are just being homophobic" about Milo then I would be doing the same dishonest thing.

This is how the virtue signallers work.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print