it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Earth Has Another Moon
Oct 20th, 2017 at 12:09pm

Small Asteroid Is Earth's Constant Companion

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/small-asteroid-is-earths-constant-companion

A small asteroid has been discovered in an orbit around the sun that keeps it as a constant companion of Earth, and it will remain so for centuries to come.

As it orbits the sun, this new asteroid, designated 2016 HO3, appears to circle around Earth as well. It is too distant to be considered a true satellite of our planet, but it is the best and most stable example to date of a near-Earth companion, or "quasi-satellite."

"Since 2016 HO3 loops around our planet, but never ventures very far away as we both go around the sun, we refer to it as a quasi-satellite of Earth," said Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Center for Near-Earth Object (NEO) Studies at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "One other asteroid -- 2003 YN107 -- followed a similar orbital pattern for a while over 10 years ago, but it has since departed our vicinity. This new asteroid is much more locked onto us. Our calculations indicate 2016 HO3 has been a stable quasi-satellite of Earth for almost a century, and it will continue to follow this pattern as Earth's companion for centuries to come."

In its yearly trek around the sun, asteroid 2016 HO3 spends about half of the time closer to the sun than Earth and passes ahead of our planet, and about half of the time farther away, causing it to fall behind. Its orbit is also tilted a little, causing it to bob up and then down once each year through Earth's orbital plane. In effect, this small asteroid is caught in a game of leap frog with Earth that will last for hundreds of years.

The asteroid's orbit also undergoes a slow, back-and-forth twist over multiple decades. "The asteroid's loops around Earth drift a little ahead or behind from year to year, but when they drift too far forward or backward, Earth's gravity is just strong enough to reverse the drift and hold onto the asteroid so that it never wanders farther away than about 100 times the distance of the moon," said Chodas. "The same effect also prevents the asteroid from approaching much closer than about 38 times the distance of the moon. In effect, this small asteroid is caught in a little dance with Earth."

Asteroid 2016 HO3 was first spotted on April 27, 2016, by the Pan-STARRS 1 asteroid survey telescope on Haleakala, Hawaii, operated by the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy and funded by NASA's Planetary Defense Coordination Office. The size of this object has not yet been firmly established, but it is likely larger than 120 feet (40 meters) and smaller than 300 feet (100 meters).

The Center for NEO Studies website has a complete list of recent and upcoming close approaches, as well as all other data on the orbits of known NEOs, so scientists and members of the media and public can track information on known objects.

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Francis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Earth Has Another Moon
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 6:37pm

Amazing they only just found it !

No tenemos miedo!

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 10:46am

Francis wrote on Oct 20th, 2017 at 6:37pm:

It's amazing they found it at all considering that it never gets closer than 38 times the distance of the moon and it is no more than 100 metres in size.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 3:58am

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 21st, 2017 at 10:46am:

It's amazing they found it at all considering that it never gets closer than 38 times the distance of the moon and it is no more than 100 metres in size.

You never really see space junk or certain satellites, unless you are really looking for it. So, something only 100 metres in size and so far away would be easy to miss.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 4:37am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 3:58am:

You never really see space junk or certain satellites, unless you are really looking for it. So, something only 100 metres in size and so far away would be easy to miss.

That is a pretty big object to just find out about, were the astronomers on a coffee break, maybe it will become another moon of ours.
If a big asteroid comes from behind the sun we are gone, we are in the lap of the gods.
If a big asteroid comes from anywhere we are gone, NASA needs to take steps to defend the human race from the gods.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:14pm

Johnnie wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 4:37am:
If a big asteroid comes from anywhere we are gone, NASA needs to take steps to defend the human race from the gods.

It is something that has already been thought about
What exactly do you suggest that they do? Call Bruce Willis?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 3:11pm

If something 100m in size were to be hidden behind the sun I would have thought the sun would capture it.

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 3:51pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:14pm:

It is something that has already been thought about
What exactly do you suggest that they do? Call Bruce Willis?

Blow it off course, if it came from behind the sun it would probably take only three days to reach us, boom.
The asteroid belt is full of big rocks subject to various gravitational influences and could collide and come our way, if a comet came our way boom, 18000 meteors hit us each year,  the big one is around the corner.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 4:57pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 3:11pm:
If something 100m in size were to be hidden behind the sun I would have thought the sun would capture it.

It would depend on its trajectory. From what I can gather.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 5:00pm

That is a pretty big object to just find out about, were the astronomers on a coffee break, maybe it will become another moon of ours.
If a big asteroid comes from behind the sun we are gone, we are in the lap of the gods.

I sat in the grandstands of Suncorp Stadium to watch the Mighty Qld Maroons play the Moronic Multicultural New South Wales Boos in State of Origin. As I sat in the stands, I marvelled at how small the field (100 metres long goal post to goal post) seemed so insignificant from a perspective being up in the stands. I have seen helicopter footage from 500 metres in the sky, and the entire stadium did not look that big.

So, an object 100 metres in length would not likely be found orbiting the earth from a great distance.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 5:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 5:00pm:

I sat in the grandstands of Suncorp Stadium to watch the Mighty Qld Maroons play the Moronic Multicultural New South Wales Boos in State of Origin. As I sat in the stands, I marvelled at how small the field (100 metres long goal post to goal post) seemed so insignificant from a perspective being up in the stands. I have seen helicopter footage from 500 metres in the sky, and the entire stadium did not look that big.

So, an object 100 metres in length would not likely be found orbiting the earth from a great distance.

It is estimated that the one that wiped out the dinosaurs was ten kilometers across, that would look pretty small in comparison as well.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:14am

Johnnie wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 5:35pm:

It is estimated that the one that wiped out the dinosaurs was ten kilometers across, that would look pretty small in comparison as well.

An asteroid 10km across would be capable to wipe out a city and surrounding areas, if it impacted with Earth. But it would take a much larger one to cause a worldwide extinction level event.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:14pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:14am:

An asteroid 10km across would be capable to wipe out a city and surrounding areas, if it impacted with Earth. But it would take a much larger one to cause a worldwide extinction level event.

Depending on the region of impact.  If the asteroid defile gravity, and happens to land in Antarctica, perhaps 10 to 20kmg would do it. 

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:34pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:14am:

THe KT extinction was likely a 10 km asteroid

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:52pm

With so much space junk up there circling around the planet...

...Earth has it's own 'Ring' to it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print