Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Great Barrier Reef recovering,better than expected (Read 2009 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Great Barrier Reef recovering,better than expected
Oct 2nd, 2017 at 2:44pm

"Optimism is rising among scientists that parts of the Great Barrier Reef that were severely bleached over the past two years are making a recovery.

Scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science this month surveyed 14 coral reefs between Cairns and Townsville to see how they fared after being bleached.

The institute's Neil Cantin said they were surprised to find the coral had already started to reproduce.

"We're finding corals that are showing early signs of reproductive development, really visible eggs that we can see under the naked eye," Dr Cantin said.

"[It's] very surprising as previous studies have shown a two-to-three year delay in reproductive activity following bleaching events.

"It means they have enough energy, they've recovered the zooxanthellae and the symbiosis and they even have energy to invest in reproduction and egg development."

Nearly two thirds of the Great Barrier Reef was affected by bleaching in 2016 and 2017, killing up to 50 per cent of coral in those parts."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-29/coral-regeneration-raises-hopes-for-great-...

Of course they didn't perform an autopsy on any part of the reef. it just looked white and dead.

But that's what happens when the symbionts get ejected.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Re: Great Barrier Reef recovering,better than expected
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 2:51pm

Talk about iconic... Symbolism does matter !

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 8:32pm

Lee great topic-  have dived on the reef ( snorkeles  no equipment ) and been out at night in a tinny with spotlight looking for swordfish- there was dead reef  ( bleached white)to be found- amazingly beautiful place and the reef was teaming with beautiful weird crazy life - we camped on that beach for 6 months and dived almost every day and fishing as well on the way back to NSW got caught in a hurricane

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:43am

lee wrote on Oct 2nd, 2017 at 2:44pm:
"Optimism is rising among scientists that parts of the Great Barrier Reef that were severely bleached over the past two years are making a recovery.

Scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science this month surveyed 14 coral reefs between Cairns and Townsville to see how they fared after being bleached.

The institute's Neil Cantin said they were surprised to find the coral had already started to reproduce.

"We're finding corals that are showing early signs of reproductive development, really visible eggs that we can see under the naked eye," Dr Cantin said.

"[It's] very surprising as previous studies have shown a two-to-three year delay in reproductive activity following bleaching events.

"It means they have enough energy, they've recovered the zooxanthellae and the symbiosis and they even have energy to invest in reproduction and egg development."

Nearly two thirds of the Great Barrier Reef was affected by bleaching in 2016 and 2017, killing up to 50 per cent of coral in those parts."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-29/coral-regeneration-raises-hopes-for-great-...

Of course they didn't perform an autopsy on any part of the reef. it just looked white and dead.

But that's what happens when the symbionts get ejected.

Awesome news.

Lee, just so you know, I do read everything you post.

And its informative content makes it a pleasure to do so.

I may not always comment....but I'm always interested to read what you have to say.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 9:06pm

That's great news that it is starting to recover

Lets hope that we don't have a 3rd bleaching event this summer

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:49pm

That Catalyst episode last night on the GBR was great.
Very informative and offered something totally new.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:19pm

Great to hear.

Following with interest.

Edit.
I do have one queation.
Was the exact cause of the bleaching ever identified?
I know heat stress from warmer water, fresh water and run off can cause this but was it ever narrowed down to one particular thing?
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:26pm by Captain Caveman »  

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 10:06pm

There has been a link to extremely low tides. Shallow water heats faster.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 11:28am

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:19pm:
Great to hear.

Following with interest.

Edit.
I do have one queation.
I know heat stress from warmer water, fresh water and run off can cause this but was it ever narrowed down to one particular thing?

One of the main reasons for bleaching is agricullture

1. millions of tonnes of topsoil runs off the the land and into the sea every wet season and has don't for decades. That soils settles on top of the coral effectively chocking it out.

2. Along with the soil goes the phosphate fertiliser which causes algae blooms and population explosions of the Crown of thorns starfish

3. The CoT starfish has been destroying the reef for decades and is the main cause of bleach of the past 3 decades.

The death of the reef is being used by the global warming mob to meet their political ends, it is pretty fkked up, but people are gullible as sh1t when it comes to what has been killing the reef.

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/agriculture/sustainable-farming/canefarming-i...

https://theconversation.com/crown-of-thorns-is-a-symptom-of-reef-decline-lets-ad...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2561462/Invasion-carnivorous-star...

Prolly why you see farmers standing beside dumb fkk rent a crowd greenies at adani protests.  Angry Angry

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2017 at 11:36am by BigOl64 »  

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 12:33pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:19pm:
I do have one queation.

The clue is that both the 2016 and 2017 bleaching events happened in March, which is when ocean temperatures are at their warmest in the southern hemisphere. Satellite measurements confirmed that the bleaching was caused by unusually warm sea temperatures.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 1:49pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
The clue is that both the 2016 and 2017 bleaching events happened in March, which is when ocean temperatures are at their warmest in the southern hemisphere

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
Satellite measurements confirmed that the bleaching was caused by unusually warm sea temperatures.

No big spike at Agincourt Reef.

"Why do you not understand Satellites measure only the top bit of the ocean?Sea Surface Temperature (sst) is a measure of the energy due to the motion of molecules at the top layer of the ocean. Depending on the sensor, spaceborne measurements give us an unprecedented global measurement of sea surface temperatures every few days to a week.   Temperatures are measured from approximately 10 µm below the surface (infrared bands) to 1mm (microwave bands) depths using radiometers."

https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/SeaSurfaceTemperature

SST's tell you nothing of the sub-sea surface.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 3:43pm

lee wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 1:49pm:
No big spike at Agincourt Reef.

Are you sure about that lee?
The scale on the graph is completely useless but if you look at 2016 and 2017 you will notice that the temperature got a lot closer to 30 degrees and as I'm sure you are very aware coral is very sensitive to temperature. Another own goal by lee

lee wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 1:49pm:
"Why do you not understand Satellites measure only the top bit of the ocean?Sea Surface Temperature (sst) is a measure of the energy due to the motion of molecules at the top layer of the ocean. Depending on the sensor, spaceborne measurements give us an unprecedented global measurement of sea surface temperatures every few days to a week.   Temperatures are measured from approximately 10 µm below the surface (infrared bands) to 1mm (microwave bands) depths using radiometers."

https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/SeaSurfaceTemperature

SST's tell you nothing of the sub-sea surface.

You mean that satellite data that you promoted when you thought it supported your argument but then did a massive backflip when you realised that it didn't  Wink
If you have an issue with the Bureau of Meteorology satellite data then you should take it up with them. They spent millions on it so I'm sure they would like to hear from some right wing keyboard warrior about where they went wrong.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 3:58pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 3:43pm:
The scale on the graph is completely useless but if you look at 2016 and 2017 you will notice that the temperature got a lot closer to 30 degrees and as I'm sure you are very aware coral is very sensitive to temperature.

Very close to average. NO SPIKE. Wink

Corals have been around for 450 million years, they have survived warmer and cooler temperatures. That doesn't seem overly sensitive to temperature per se.

hey are however susceptible to sudden increases and decreases in temperature.

You mean that satellite data that you promoted when you thought it supported your argument but then did a massive backflip when you realised that it didn't

You want to argue the science of infrared penetration of the ocean? Go right ahead.

If you have an issue with the Bureau of Meteorology satellite data then you should take it up with them.

Are you talking Satellite data overall or merely the depth it can penetrate the ocean?

They spent millions on it so I'm sure they would like to hear from some right wing keyboard warrior about where they went wrong.

What satellite data does BoM own? Not what it has access to but control. If they don't own it they haven't spent millions anywhere.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 10:45am

lee wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 3:58pm:
The scale on the graph is completely useless but if you look at 2016 and 2017 you will notice that the temperature got a lot closer to 30 degrees and as I'm sure you are very aware coral is very sensitive to temperature.

Very close to average. NO SPIKE. Wink

What were you expecting? A spike to 50 degrees?  Roll Eyes
As you already know, coral becomes stressed when water becomes just a couple of degrees warmer than it's average maximum and if you have a look at your graph that is exactly what has happened in 2016 and 2017.

Admit it lee you have been proven wrong again, this time by your very own graph.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
The bleaching events in 2016 and 2017 were caused by warmer than normal sea temperatures

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 10:48am

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 8th, 2017 at 10:45am:
Admit it lee you have been proven wrong again, this time by your very own graph.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

opps.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print