"Those results are consistent with the 97% consensus reported by Cook et al (Environ. Res. Lett. 8 024024) based on 11 944 abstracts of research papers, of which 4014 took a position on the cause of recent global warming. '"
link removed by me
"However, inspection of a claim by Cook et al. (Environ Res Lett 8:024024, 2013) of 97.1 % consensus, heavily relied upon by Bedford and Cook, shows just 0.3 % endorsement of the standard definition of consensus: that most warming since 1950 is anthropogenic."
link removed by me
"As can be seen on the above example for Endorsement Level 1, only 65 papers are identified as “quantifying AGW as 50%+”. Excluding the “No Positions”, there are 4011 papers classified in total, so we find that the number of papers agreeing that “humans are the primary cause of recent global warming” is only a tiny 1.6%, far from the 97% claimed."
link removed by me
Included in the last is the methodology used. I have no idea if SKS still allows access to the study or if it has materially changed.
Will take me a while to absorb this, your argument hangs on the position expressed in the Spinger published paper, and I'm not sure I am equipped to critique the author (David Legates).
I will say that what I have read of him so far (he appears to be a creationist, and a Scott Pruitt supporter) are ringing alarm bells for me.
I can't post links yet (or I would) to the sources.