Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hillary -"President" of California (Read 310 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hillary -"President" of California
Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:27am

The Importance Of The Electoral College

" .... I here give you an example of what could, and would in fact have happened on November 8, 2016 if we had a national popular election instead of the Electoral College. This, I hope, will help one understand the true wisdom of the writers of our constitution. These numbers were put together on November 28 and there might have been a small number of votes still being tabulated in a few counties across some states. Sources are, Election results from The Associated Press, Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections, and The Cook Political Report:

The total popular vote count shows Donald Trump won the popular vote in 30 states and Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 20 states plus D.C.. The total count for all states, Trump was 62,510,659,------Clinton was 64,817,808. the difference is Clinton winning by 2,307,149. However, totaling all states excluding California, Donald Trump won the popular vote. In California the vote count was Clinton...8,292,775----Trump...4,276,750. Now, let's deduct Clinton's California vote from her national vote..64,817,808 - 8,292,775 = 56,525,033.Now let's deduct Trump's California vote from his national vote..62,510,659 - 4,276,750 = 58,233,909. The difference is Trump winning by 1,708,876.

So, in effect, Hillary Clinton was elected president of California and Donald Trump was elected president of the rest of the country by a substantial margin. This is the finest example I can relate to you of the wisdom of the Electoral College system of electing the American President. It prevents the vote of any one densely populated state from overriding the vote of all the others. Ask yourself, "Do I really want California, or any other state, electing the president for the rest of us?" Without the Electoral College that is exactly what will happen."

John Porter
Harrison, Arkansas
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:44am by Bias_2012 »  

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Hillary -"President" of California
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:04pm

Meanwhile, the President elect appoints Aussie from Darwin ....

Donald Trump appoints Dow Chemical chief Andrew Liveris as head of manufacturing

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-10/trump-appoints-dow-chemical-chief-liveris-...

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:18am

Thank you, I am sure this will go over the heads of many here.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:59am

Yes it boiled down to this one overriding indisputable fact ....

totaling all states excluding California, Donald Trump won the popular vote.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 12:06pm

I tried to explain this concept to the willfully ignorant who were insisting that as Clinton had won the popular vote she somehow had been cheated by Trump.   They simply refused to listen or acknowledge that the system that had been in place for some 200 years had not suddenly been set up purely to cheat Clinton of her rightful victory.  Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 2:36pm

Belgarion wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 12:06pm:
her rightful victory

She won California, that's her rightful victory. Unfortunately for her though, she needed to win more States than Trump for total victory

I posed this reasonable question (below) to a number of anti Trump posters, got no response from any of them, except their usual griping, but no proposal as a substitute voting system was put forward for the US. They lost all credibility at that point

Bias_2012
Gold Member
Re: Why did hillary lose so badly
Reply #134 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:54pm Quote

What do you think Karnal? does the US election system need changing? If so, what to, a direct total vote winner takes all system?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print