Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Rape in "Last Tango in Paris" (Read 2574 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rape in "Last Tango in Paris"
Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:39am

Why we should no longer consider Last Tango in Paris ‘a classic’

Bernardo Bertolucci’s Last Tango in Paris has long been considered a classic film, a boundary-breaking meditation on 20th-century loneliness and sexual politics. Released in 1972, it stars Maria Schneider (1952-2011) and Marlon Brando (1924-2004) as Jeanne and Paul, two strangers who begin a torrid sexual relationship.

Bertolucci shot the erotic scenes in vivid detail, a directorial choice that was equally lauded and vilified at the time. However, a recently resurfaced 2013 interview with him revealing an instance of sexual abuse in the making of the film (WARNING: graphic content in linked video) invites us to reassess its value and consider how abusive masculinity permeates the movie industry.

Australian streaming service Stan has already removed the film from its catalogue in response. And film scholars – who have long regarded this film as part of the canon – must surely reassess this judgement now that we know the appalling means by which one of its key scenes was created.

It is now impossible to rewatch the movie without the air of a snuff piece about it. As viewers, we are witnessing actual abuse. It is difficult to imagine a way around that.

In the interview, Bertolucci reveals that a key scene in which Brando uses butter as a lubricant for sex was shot without Schneider’s consent. Rather, Bertolucci and Brando conspired to get a “real” reaction from the actress, who repeatedly says “no” during the scene.

We now know that it was Maria the woman and not Jeanne the character who was fighting to get Brando’s imposing figure off her back. What we see onscreen is not a simulated rape but an actual instance of sexual abuse. In the interview, Bertolucci says that he felt guilty but that he didn’t regret having shot the scene in such a deceitful way.

First things first: there are potential legal ramifications stemming from this revelation. It may be that Stan’s removal of Last Tango in Paris is only the first in a number of consequences for the film. For the film community, both the revelation and the response to it also raise several important questions.

Firstly, in a world where men dominate the film industry and perpetuate its status quo, film scholars must carefully consider the kinds of stories we tell about its history and achievements. Nor should women be left to critique the industry’s gender politics alone – one reason why we, as two men, feel the need to write this article.

D.W. Griffith’s film The Birth of a Nation (1915), for instance, was picketed at its release by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People for its racism and is now widely thought to have spearheaded the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan. However, it still holds a place in many film scholars’ lists of the all-time greats for its technical and aesthetic achievements.

This should not be allowed to happen with Last Tango in Paris. We should not revere artistic achievement over the genuine suffering of others.

Bertolucci’s actions are a contradiction to his persona and his body of work. Having lived and denounced fascism through films such as The Conformist (1970), it is surprising that he was such a gender fascist himself. But it is not enough simply to say that because Last Tango reaches aesthetic heights it is worth championing.

A further key question is why it took the recirculation of an interview with the film’s male director for this treatment to be taken seriously – when Schneider herself spoke about the scene and its impact on her for years. In a 2007 interview, Schneider, who suffered from mental health issues throughout her life, said that she felt “a little raped” by Brando and regretted not having refused to shoot the scene or called her agent.

But how could she refuse? There was a clear power differential between Schneider, and Brando and Bertolucci. She was an aspiring young actress, while Brando was the biggest movie star in the world and Bertolucci was considered a master filmmaker. Brando was 48. Schneider was 19. Let that sink in: she was 19 years old, barely an adult.

According to numerous acquaintances, the experience of shooting Last Tango in Paris haunted her for life. While it advanced both Brando and Bertolucci’s careers, earning them Oscar nominations, it left Schneider’s in shambles.

It is also worth remembering that Schneider, Brando and Bertolucci were not the only people present on the set for this scene. How many camera, sound and production crew have stayed silent for decades and remain complicit?

https://theconversation.com/why-we-should-no-longer-consider-last-tango-in-paris...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Rape in "Last Tango in Paris"
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:49am

He should be charged with rape.  Simple as that.  Arsehole!

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:50am

Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:49am:

Agreed, And Last Tango in Paris should earn the reputation of a snuff movie.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:54am

both of them

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:03am

John Smith wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:54am:

both of them

Actress is dead.  So is Brando.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:08am

This is very disturbing, and totally unacceptable to all reasonable, morally sound people.

However, stand by for all the usual suspects in here (we all know who they are) to make excuses for this rape, just as they have bent over backwards to defend Trump against allegations of child gang rape as well as his confessions of sexually abusing scores of women.

The truth of the matter is, the deplorable members in here who defend these sort of crimes would never have the intestinal fortitude to repeat what they say in here to their partners.

Apologists for murderers, rapists, and white-collar criminals, and cowards to their very core.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:09am

Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:03am:
John Smith wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:54am:

both of them

Actress is dead.  So is Brando.

ahh  ... that makes sense now. I was wondering why he would admit it publicly after all this time.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:34am

According to the director the only objection was to the use of the butter.

BY
Peter Sblendorio
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, December 5, 2016, 4:37 PM

The "Last Tango in Paris" director is trying to re-write the script two days after a resurfaced video captured him admitting that part of the movie's rape scene was filmed without the lead actress' consent.

Bernardo Bertolucci attempted to chalk up the escalating backlash against him as a "ridiculous misunderstanding" after a 2013 interview, in which he admitted he and actor Marlon Brando chose not to tell actress Maria Schneider that her character would be raped with a stick of butter, began circulating the internet.

"I would like for the last time to clear up a ridiculous misunderstanding that continues to generate press reports about 'Last Tango in Paris' around the world," Bertolucci said in a statement Monday, according to Deadline. "Several years ago, at the Cinematheque Francaise, someone asked me for details on the famous butter scene. I specified, but perhaps was not clear, that I decided with Marlon Brando not to inform Maria that we would (use) butter."

"We wanted her spontaneous reaction to that improper use (of butter)," he continued. "This is where the misunderstanding lies. Somebody thought, and thinks, that Maria had not been informed about the violence on her. That is false."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/tango-director-rape-scene-commen...

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:05pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:34am:

BY
Peter Sblendorio
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The "Last Tango in Paris" director is trying to re-write the script two days after a resurfaced video captured him admitting that part of the movie's rape scene was filmed without the lead actress' consent.

Bernardo Bertolucci attempted to chalk up the escalating backlash against him as a "ridiculous misunderstanding" after a 2013 interview, in which he admitted he and actor Marlon Brando chose not to tell actress Maria Schneider that her character would be raped with a stick of butter, began circulating the internet.

"I would like for the last time to clear up a ridiculous misunderstanding that continues to generate press reports about 'Last Tango in Paris' around the world," Bertolucci said in a statement Monday, according to Deadline. "Several years ago, at the Cinematheque Francaise, someone asked me for details on the famous butter scene. I specified, but perhaps was not clear, that I decided with Marlon Brando not to inform Maria that we would (use) butter."

"We wanted her spontaneous reaction to that improper use (of butter)," he continued. "This is where the misunderstanding lies. Somebody thought, and thinks, that Maria had not been informed about the violence on her. That is false."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/tango-director-rape-scene-commen...

Reads like a tremendous backpedal.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:27pm

Quote:

I think the misunderstanding is on Bertolucci's part. Informed about the violence or not - the act was clearly non-consensual, and this is really the only point that matters. While I haven't seen the movie, presumably it depicts a reaction of terror from the girl - and if this was what she was genuinely feeling as a result of this non-consensual act, then I see no meaningful difference between this scenario to the so called "misunderstood" scenario.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:35pm

The old left versus the new left. Bertolucci was a Marxist, who was, like many other Marxists of his time, trying to subvert norms and shock people. Enter the new left, who revise all old literature and movies for signs of sexism, racism etc.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:49pm

mothra wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:05pm:

BY
Peter Sblendorio
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Dug up by Gordon, no less    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:53pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:49pm:

BY
Peter Sblendorio
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Dug up eh ? I didn't even have to scroll down for this article Smiley

lt.jpg (46 KB | 33 )
lt.jpg

IBI

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 2:01pm

mothra wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:50am:

Agreed, And Last Tango in Paris should earn the reputation of a snuff movie.

Agreed. Utterly disgusting.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 3:20pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:53pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:49pm:

BY
Peter Sblendorio
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Dug up eh ? I didn't even have to scroll down for this article Smiley

Apologist.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print