Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pauline Hanson on gun laws in 1997 (Read 4881 times)
Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Pauline Hanson on gun laws in 1997
Jul 4th, 2016 at 9:58pm

Quote:
The uniform gun laws were ill conceived and rushed through without thought or consultation. Any proposed need has no basis in fact and is an affront to anyone who is even slightly informed of the facts and figures.

Australian Institute of Criminology has stated that banning semi auto firearms will do nothing to prevent the majority of Australia's gun deaths

gwb.com.au/onenation/speeches/sept97b.html

Pauline nailed it in 1997.

Australian bureau of statistics data showed the semi autos that were banned were responsible for 1.3% of all firearm deaths from 1980-1995.
abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/productsbytitle/9C85BD1298C075EACA2568A900139342?Op...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Pauline Hanson on gun laws in 1997
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 10:52pm

Interesting how you keep avoiding the post-1996 numbers, Baron.  I wonder why?

Fact check: Have firearm homicides and suicides dropped since Port Arthur as a result of John Howard's reforms?

The reality is, the number of Homicides in Australia since 1996 from firearms has seen a significant drop.   Learn to live with it, Baron, learn to live with it.   We are not going back to the pre-1996 laws nor even your dreamed of American "right" to have a firearm.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:05pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 10:52pm:

The reality is, the number of Homicides in Australia since 1996 from firearms has seen a significant drop.

You keep avoiding the fact non firearm homicides have declined at a far greater magnitude than firearm homicides since 1996 bwian.

Our firearm homicides have declined from 3 per million to 1.5 per million while non firearm homicides have declined from 16 per million to 8 per million.

Since 1996 for every 1.5 lives per million reduction in firearm homicides we have had a reduction of 8 lives per million in non firearm homicides.

What caused non firearm homicides to decline by a far greater magnitude than firearm homicides since 1996 bwian why do you keep avoiding this question? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 5:48pm

Quote:
Australian Institute of Criminology has stated that banning semi auto firearms will do nothing to prevent the majority of Australia's gun deaths

So it will only prevent a minority of gun deaths?

Why do we always see this idiotic line from people who want to reject the evidence? There is always some fool arguing that unless a law is 100% effective it is a bad idea.

Oh and baron, your stats like a 50% reduction in each to me. Using your logic, even if the gun laws were 100% effective you will still claim that non-firearm deaths reduced at a greater rate.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 6:10pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2016 at 5:48pm:
Quote:

Why do we always see this idiotic line from people who want to reject the evidence? There is always some fool arguing that unless a law is 100% effective it is a bad idea.

Oh and baron, your stats like a 50% reduction in each to me. Using your logic, even if the gun laws were 100% effective you will still claim that non-firearm deaths reduced at a greater rate.

Stating this is only because semi-autos only produce the minority of deaths, always have; the majority of gun death were and continue to be non-semi automatic rifles.

They were only banned because Australia have a massive vagina cramp causing it to over react.

The only smart thing that happen was loons and retards were restricted from owning any weapons, and that is the ONLY reason why there was a reduction in gun deaths.

It was never guns or gun owners, even though they paid the price it was sub intellectual lunatics getting guns and shooting up the place.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 6:46pm

Suppose there were three types of guns, each involved in 1/3 of gun homicides. Do you think it would make sense to argue that each type of gun should not be banned because it only accounts for a minority of gun deaths?

Note that I am no asking whether you agree with the argument or its conclusion. I am asking you whether it makes sense.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:24pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2016 at 6:46pm:
Suppose there were three types of guns, each involved in 1/3 of gun homicides. Do you think it would make sense to argue that each type of gun should not be banned because it only accounts for a minority of gun deaths?

Note that I am no asking whether you agree with the argument or its conclusion. I am asking you whether it makes sense.

As we saw here we banned the type of gun that caused 1.3% of all firearm deaths from 1980-1995.
Many of those who owned semi autos had other rifles as well so they were still armed after 1996 laws they only had to hand in a certain type of gun.
Our second worst mass shooting was done with a bolt action single shot .22lr which didn't need to be handed in back in 1996.

The FBI data show rifles which include those scary black semi auto ones are responsible for around 300 homicides a year while pistols cause over 6000 homicides, when people call for assault rifle bans do they want to ban the type of gun that causes the least homicides or the most?

When they talk assault rifle bans they show their hoplophobia and ignorance, assault rifles are selective fire between semi auto and full auto, they were never legal in Australia and the registry for owning these has been closed fr a few decades in the USA.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:31pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2016 at 5:48pm:
Quote:

This 50% figure gets thrown around a fair bit, some say it shows the success of our gun laws.
The USA has reduced firearm homicides by this same 50% since 1994 without draconian gun laws yet people are not satisfied with their 50% reduction and say they need tough laws.

What caused non firearm homicides to drop from 16 per million of population to 8 per million of population in the same time period firearm homicides went from 3 per million to 1.5 per million , what is your theory on this massive reduction in non firearm homicides FD?

The fact is for weapon type knives have killed far more people than guns in Australia, we only have 2 mass shootings with a higher death toll than what a woman could do with a knife in Cairns.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 11:01pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:05pm:

The reality is, the number of Homicides in Australia since 1996 from firearms has seen a significant drop.

You keep avoiding the fact non firearm homicides have declined at a far greater magnitude than firearm homicides since 1996 bwian.

In an argument about firearm homicides, they are immaterial, Baron.

Lets address the firearm homicides, shall we, in an argument about firearm homicides?  Nah, thats too hard for you it seems.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 8:12am

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 7th, 2016 at 11:01pm:

Lets address the firearm homicides, shall we, in an argument about firearm homicides?  Nah, thats too hard for you it seems.   Roll Eyes

What caused non firearm homicides to drop from 16 per million population to 8 per million population in the same time period firearm homicides declined from 3 per million  to 1.5 per million bwian?

Why are you ignoring that question bwian can we say you don't give a bugger about those who are killed by an offender who doesn't have a gun?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 3:32pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 8th, 2016 at 8:12am:

What caused non firearm homicides to drop from 16 per million population to 8 per million population in the same time period firearm homicides declined from 3 per million  to 1.5 per million bwian?

Why are you ignoring that question bwian can we say you don't give a bugger about those who are killed by an offender who doesn't have a gun?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

In a thread about firearm related homicides?   Guess what?  You're right.  Now, if the thread was about non-firearm related homicides, I'd say go for it.   Why don't you start a thread about non-firearm related homicides, Baron?

BTW, I was right, it is too hard for you.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 6:09pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 8th, 2016 at 3:32pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 8th, 2016 at 8:12am:

In a thread about firearm related homicides?   Guess what?  You're right.

The thread is about Pauline Hanson and gun laws, we can see your hoplophobia means only firearm homicides worry you and you don't give a bugger about those who are killed by offenders who don't use a gun.

AIC data shows no weapon kills more than double the amount of firearm homicides, lots of one punch deaths these days.

Why have non firearm homicides declined at a far greater magnitude than firearm homicides bwian, is that too difficult to answer?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 6:15pm

As I said, Baron, "Why don't you start a thread about non-firearm related homicides, Baron?"

Well, where is this thread, Baron?  I can't see it.   Or are you too foolish to know how to do that?  Mmmm?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GLII

Australian Politics

East of the divide
Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 6:26pm

I'm very pro gun control but I understand homicide rates were falling at a rate just a few % lower than before the ban.

Personally I'm much more anti handgun than guns that are big and look scary

I live out yonder where the snakes and scorpions run.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 7:50pm

GLII wrote on Jul 8th, 2016 at 6:26pm:
I'm very pro gun control but I understand homicide rates were falling at a rate just a few % lower than before the ban.

Personally I'm much more anti handgun than guns that are big and look scary

I agree with this. I like shooting, and i dont think that semi auto rifles cause that much mayhem(in the big picture). Its definitely handguns that are the main problem.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print