Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman (Read 20798 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman
Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:03am

What should the Scotts do with this one Gandalf?

Glasgow mosque leader praises extremist killer

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35893123

The religious leader at Scotland's biggest mosque has praised an extremist who was executed for committing murder in Pakistan, the BBC can reveal.

Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman of Glasgow Central Mosque used the messaging platform WhatsApp to show his support for Mumtaz Qadri.

Qadri was hanged in February after murdering a local politician who opposed strict blasphemy laws.

In a statement the imam said the messages had been taken out of context.

He said that he was expressing his opposition to capital punishment.

In messages seen by the BBC, Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman says that he is "disturbed" and "upset" at the news of Qadri's execution, before writing "rahmatullahi alai", a religious blessing usually given to devout Muslims and meaning may God's mercy be upon him.

In another, he says: "I cannot hide my pain today. A true Muslim was punished for doing which [sic] the collective will of the nation failed to carry out."

Maulana Habib Ur Rehman is the most senior imam at Glasgow Central Mosque, a role which involves leading prayers and giving religious guidance and teachings.

The BBC has confirmed with members of the group that the messages come from the imam.

Qadri was employed as a bodyguard for the governor of Punjab province in Pakistan, Salman Taseer, before turning on him in 2011 and shooting him 28 times.

After the shooting Qadri reportedly told journalists that he was "proud" and that he had killed a "blasphemer".

Analysis

BBC Religious Affairs Correspondent Caroline Wyatt

The support for Qadri expressed in the UK by some Muslims from a group within Islam that is generally regarded as moderate was unexpected.

Those supporting his actions came from within Sunni Islam, and a group known as Barelvis, who control just under 40% of mosques in the UK.

These Sufis are not generally connected with jihadist groups, and present themselves in Pakistan and elsewhere as defenders of a moderate, peaceful Islam.

However, on the day of Qadri's funeral, one of the co-directors of the Association of British Muslims, Paul Salahuddin-Armstrong, was so shocked by comments on social media in the UK praising the killer that he wrote a blog post.

"Horrified… I honestly don't know where to begin," he said.

He said he was also "appalled" to find a prominent mosque in Birmingham - the Ghamkol Sharif - had termed Qadri a "martyr" on its website.

The Barelvis' reverence for the Prophet Muhammad is one of great intensity, and goes back to the founder of their movement, Ahmad Raza Khan Barelvi, in the 19th Century. So the issue of blasphemy is one that is likely to rouse strong emotions among Barelvi wherever they live.

Nonetheless, the public support for a convicted murderer by some of their religious leaders in the UK will worry some observers of Islam here.

Pakistan has some of the strictest blasphemy laws in the world, which can carry a potential death sentence for those judged to have insulted the majority religion of Islam.

Human rights campaigners and liberal politicians, including Taseer, have criticised the laws as draconian and believe that they are abused to target minority groups.

The laws do, however, have mainstream support in the country and an estimated crowd of more than 30,000 people attended Qadri's funeral earlier this month.

Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman told the BBC: "The assassination of Salman Taseer is widely condemned.

"Whether I agree or disagree with the views he expressed, as an Imam and as a human being I express abhorrence at the manner in which he was executed.

"The execution was not in accordance with Islamic teachings and principles."

'Nazi' comparison

The Imam also likens Qadri's actions to those fighting Nazi occupation during World War Two.

"Just when France was occupied by Nazies [sic], French did all they had to in order to protect their nation," he writes.

"They were national heroes. Hanging Mumtaz Qadri has raised serious questions about Pakistan's independence."

And he links his execution to the issue of Pakistani nationhood.

"The issue is not of an individual. The issue is of national identity and Islamic spirit."

"The fact that the nation chose to settle the issue of Reymond Davis [sic] by forcing his relatives to accept the blood money, and sending Mumtaz bhai [brother] to gallows is a source of grief and immense pain."

Raymond Davis was a contractor with the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Pakistan.

In 2011, he was arrested and imprisoned in the city of Lahore after he was accused of shooting dead two men, triggering a diplomatic incident between the two countries.

He was released after the families of the two men were paid compensation of $2.3m, which many in the country considered to be "blood money".

The WhatsApp messages are the latest controversy at Glasgow Central Mosque, which is the largest place of worship of any religion in Scotland.

The mosque was plunged into turmoil last month when seven members of its executive committee resigned amid claims of intimidation by more conservative figures at the mosque.

The allegations were denied by those accused.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:05am

give him to the paki's so they can execute him too

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:37pm

File this one under: What Muslims really think.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:13pm

G had better get this one right, FD.

You’ll be asking supplimentary questions.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:15pm

The real story is the pathetic response by the British authorities to these kinds of people.

It's the same mentality of political cowardice that was shown by a score of leading authorities in the town of Rotherham during the years that 1,400 children were being groomed for sex by a group of Pakistani Muslims.

For every Muslim who goes astray - there are scores of British politicians, law-makers, academics, leading journalists, and police commissioners who counsel that 'tolerance and understanding' should be the correct response, and not thoughts of retribution lest this be seen as 'racist'.

The divide between what the British ruling classes think about these things and what the public thinks about these instances of Muslim mischief is growing ever wider by the day.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:21pm by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:51pm

FD I thought you might have learned by now how to spell 'Scots' properly.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:57pm

islam can never defend itself with truth, reason and logic.

They use of lies is the first line of defence utilized to excuse the filth and depravity of islam (it doesn't really mean what it says - islam is a religin of peace - islam is tolerant - etc.etc.etc.)

If the lies are rejected then force is the order of the day, kill the sceptical for blasphemy, apostasy, disbelief etc.

This goes back to the foundations of islam, muhammad had people murdered for rejecting his depravities (including innocent women with young children, one of whom was still a suckling)

islam is utterly evil

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:14pm

freediver wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:03am:
What should the Scotts do with this one Gandalf?

I'm actually a bit perplexed by this question FD. Normally when someone here asks this sort of question, the correct answer is "deport him" and/or ban him. Yet I wouldn't have figured you for advocating that sort of thing - quite the opposite in fact. I would expect you to be standing up for his right to say these sort of things.

So would you agree that what "the Scotts [sic] should do with this one" - is to defend his right to free speech?

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:23pm

Sure. But there are certainly things that can be done that do not violate his freedom of speech.

But I wasn't asking you what you think I think.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:30pm

Its a nothing question FD - if we both agree that 'the Scots' shouldn't do anything to violate his right to free speech. So we get on to the bleeding obvious stuff like condemn his views and say how wrong they are. And in case I'm not clear enough, that course of action (condemn and say he is wrong) is my final answer to the original question.

But far more relevant is to ask what the muslim community that he represents should be doing - in which case I would answer that they should democratically move to have him removed from his position, or at the very least censure him.

Quote:

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:30pm

Free speech doesn't include treasonous speech during a time of War on Terror.

And this dude was renting that Prayer Hall from the Scott family who lived next door.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:34pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:30pm:
Its a nothing question FD - if we both agree that 'the Scots' shouldn't do anything to violate his right to free speech. So we get on to the bleeding obvious stuff like condemn his views and say how wrong they are. And in case I'm not clear enough, that course of action (condemn and say he is wrong) is my final answer to the original question.

But far more relevant is to ask what the muslim community that he represents should be doing - in which case I would answer that they should democratically move to have him removed from his position, or at the very least censure him.

You would be happy censuring him?

You seemed to support the closure of French mosques. What makes this one different?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:49pm

I made a general point that inciters to violence should be shut down - thats true.

To be honest I didn't really consider that the comment was incitement, more about expressing his support for Pakistani blasphemy laws. In hindsight though, praising a murderer could be considered incitement - I'm not sure. But not really any more so than praising the drone operators who routinely slaughter children in Pakistan.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:54pm

What sort of person thinks it's alright to kill somebody  for insulting religion?? That's nuts. Religion doesn't care who insults it. That's like insulting soccer or a wardrobe.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:01pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:54pm:
That's like insulting soccer

try it in the wrong part of Colombia and see how long you live  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print