Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Increasing fish stocks via whaling? (Read 690 times)
easel
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 3120
Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Sep 8th, 2015 at 12:13am
 
Have you ever considered, that plankton and krill, that the whales suck up by the bucketload, is also food to smaller pelagic fish, which are in turn food for larger fish and so on?

By removing whales from the equation, fish stocks increase and food for all is more abundant.

Maybe whaling is good? Certain species always need a cull.
Back to top
 

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.
 
IP Logged
 
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 26906
Canberra
Gender: male
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 9:49am
 
easel wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 12:13am:
Have you ever considered, that plankton and krill, that the whales suck up by the bucketload, is also food to smaller pelagic fish, which are in turn food for larger fish and so on?

By removing whales from the equation, fish stocks increase and food for all is more abundant.

Maybe whaling is good? Certain species always need a cull.


Stick to intelligence.
Back to top
 

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)
 
IP Logged
 
Lisa Jones
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 39047
Sydney
Gender: female
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:27am
 
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 9:49am:
easel wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 12:13am:
Have you ever considered, that plankton and krill, that the whales suck up by the bucketload, is also food to smaller pelagic fish, which are in turn food for larger fish and so on?

By removing whales from the equation, fish stocks increase and food for all is more abundant.

Maybe whaling is good? Certain species always need a cull.


Stick to intelligence.


Ha! Aint gonna happen  Tongue
Back to top
 

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)
 
IP Logged
 
Lisa Jones
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 39047
Sydney
Gender: female
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:38am
 
Anyway, the REAL reason behind me popping by was to ask a few questions.

Where in/around NSW can you catch good fish these days? Oh and preferably somewhere where it won't take an entire day just to catch one fish.

I also need to know what to do with a fish after I've caught him. Do I just throw him in a bucket of water and take him home? Or do I gut him there and then? What's safer? Also, what is the esiest way to gut a fish? Right now, using my little/no knowledge on the matter, I assume you would cut off his head then cut across the scales to produce 2 fillets. But don't they have guts etc?

Sorry for the many questions. I just want to catch a big beautiful fish for my mum. She can then show me how to cook it the Greek way.
Back to top
 

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)
 
IP Logged
 
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 26906
Canberra
Gender: male
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:52am
 
My experience of Greek fishing involves catching small fish.
Back to top
 

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)
 
IP Logged
 
freediver
Gold Member
*****
Online


www.ozpolitic.com

Posts: 53378
At my desk.
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 8:04pm
 
It is my understanding that whales do most of their eating at the poles. Not to many tuna down there.

We should eat the whales regardless.
Back to top
 

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
WWW  
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21603
Gender: male
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 8:42pm
 
Yes, and stop eating Krill as a dietary supplement.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
easel
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 3120
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:02pm
 
If whaling doesn't increase food availability for fish that are a part of our diet by increasing their food stocks, then I don't see the point of it.

But if it has the potential to increase available food for human consumption by increasing food for commercially significant fish, and therefore assist in mitigating a potential global food shortage due to over population, I support it.

It's not a nuclear weapon discussion. Any opinion is fine. Even if you just like whale songs for the reason to oppose whaling.
Back to top
 

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.
 
IP Logged
 
pjb05
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 1404
Gender: male
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 7:21am
 
There would be little competition between whales and our fish stocks for food. On the other hand one species of shearwater eats more than the entire Australian commercial catch. The seal colony on Montague Island eats more than the entire rec catch in the area. This goes to put the impact of fishing in some perspective (and the marine park mania).
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
pjb05
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 1404
Gender: male
Re: Increasing fish stocks via whaling?
Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 7:24am
 
Lisa Jones wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:38am:
Anyway, the REAL reason behind me popping by was to ask a few questions.

Where in/around NSW can you catch good fish these days? Oh and preferably somewhere where it won't take an entire day just to catch one fish.

I also need to know what to do with a fish after I've caught him. Do I just throw him in a bucket of water and take him home? Or do I gut him there and then? What's safer? Also, what is the esiest way to gut a fish? Right now, using my little/no knowledge on the matter, I assume you would cut off his head then cut across the scales to produce 2 fillets. But don't they have guts etc?

Sorry for the many questions. I just want to catch a big beautiful fish for my mum. She can then show me how to cook it the Greek way.


Almost anywhere in NSW you can catch a good fish, it comes down to knowing what you doing.
As to caring for your catch you should either keep it alive or put it on ice. You don't have to gut it straight away if it is put on ice.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print