Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Muslims and Pigs (Read 4821 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Muslims and Pigs
Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:35pm

I note in the other thread about attacks on Mosques in Australia and sometimes Islamophobes defile Mosques or land intended for a Mosque with a pig's head.

Now, I'm aware of the Islamic injunction against eating Pork and I'm also aware that Muslims regard pigs in general as "unclean", however it appears it is quite easy to purify oneself and objects/places from contact with Pigs/Pork.   All you need do is wash your hands or in the case of your mouth if having eaten it, with water (and according to some pundits, Earth).

So, are the Islamophobes acting out of ignorance, in the belief that by placing the Pig's head where they do, they are going to render the site unclean for ever?   It appears so to me.

I am sure the usual crowd will respond in the usual way.  However, I'm genuinely interested to understand this phenomena.  Anti-Semites appear to believe the same thing and occasionally defile Synagogues in a similar manner.

Do both groups believe it is impossible for Muslims or Jews to simply clean up the mess and dispose of the Pig's head?   Of course they could just employ a non-believer I suppose to do it for them.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Muslims and Pigs
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:42pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:35pm:
So, are the Islamophobes acting out of ignorance ...

Yes.  Always.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:43pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:42pm:

Yes.  Always.

Thanks, Greg, I know I can rely on you to state the bleedin' obvious.   Grin

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:47pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:43pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:42pm:

Yes.  Always.

Thanks, Greg, I know I can rely on you to state the bleedin' obvious.   Grin

Wink

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:49pm

I don't think they're trying to render the site unclean. They are simply making sure that their message is understood by using something Muslims specifically find offensive.

I also think you underestimate the psychological effect of pigs and pig products for a lot of Muslims as a result of centuries of indoctrination.

While I certainly don't think this is the case for everyone, when I was a Muslim I had nightmares about accidentally eating pork. I very rarely eat pig products even now because of some mild residual revulsion. My atheist husband rarely eats it since we met because of how I feel about it. I handle bacon a lot at work and found it quite confronting in the beginning. I did, however, make bacon and eggs for my husband and I on the weekend.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 7:02pm

Annie,
Quote:
when I was a Muslim

Shock  horror.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 7:18pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 7:02pm:
Annie,
Quote:
when I was a Muslim

Shock  horror.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shock horror what?

IP Logged

wally1
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:02pm

I note in the other thread about attacks on Mosques in Australia and sometimes Islamophobes defile Mosques or land intended for a Mosque with a pig's head.

Now, I'm aware of the Islamic injunction against eating Pork and I'm also aware that Muslims regard pigs in general as "unclean", however it appears it is quite easy to purify oneself and objects/places from contact with Pigs/Pork.   All you need do is wash your hands or in the case of your mouth if having eaten it, with water (and according to some pundits, Earth).

So, are the Islamophobes acting out of ignorance, in the belief that by placing the Pig's head where they do, they are going to render the site unclean for ever?   It appears so to me.

I am sure the usual crowd will respond in the usual way.  However, I'm genuinely interested to understand this phenomena.  Anti-Semites appear to believe the same thing and occasionally defile Synagogues in a similar manner.

Do both groups believe it is impossible for Muslims or Jews to simply clean up the mess and dispose of the Pig's head?   Of course they could just employ a non-believer I suppose to do it for them.    Roll Eyes

There are a few good youtube clips by various christian pastors who talk about the filth of swine and that christians shouldnt eat pork.

Although muslims dont eat pork its doesnt make a place of worship impure.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:35pm

wally1 wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:02pm:

So I understood, so I was trying to fathom the point of using a Pig's head.

Annie, thanks, I thought it was some sort of attempt at emphasis by the Islamophobes.

However, as I noted, it appears quite easy to purify oneself after eating/coming into contact with pork.  Indeed, the verse on being forgiven for inadvertently eating pork appears pretty mild really.   If you purify yourself, it seems all is forgiven so I'm not sure why you'd be having nightmares, Annie.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 9:45pm

There's a silly myth going around that islamophobes love - that jihadists allegedly believe that if they are shot and killed with a bullet laced in pig fat, they will go to hell. I believe it was actually done, or at least threatened by British colonialists trying to quash a muslim revolt in India in the 19th century.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:21pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 9:45pm:
There's a silly myth going around that islamophobes love - that jihadists allegedly believe that if they are shot and killed with a bullet laced in pig fat, they will go to hell. I believe it was actually done, or at least threatened by British colonialists trying to quash a muslim revolt in India in the 19th century.

Considering all the other primitive ideas Islam inflicts on its devotees, this rouse makes perfect sense.
I bet it worked.

IP Logged

Datalife
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:27pm

I think you will find the genesis of that story is muslim militants telling other Muslims not to use the British bullets because the casings were waterproofed in pig fat.  It genuinely horrified loyal but devout soldiers, when the NCOs attempted to get the officers to explain it was not pig fat they were rebuffed which added to the simmering resentment.

"If they’re out there in the high seas, what you would do is seek to turn them back through the agency of the Australian Navy".

Kevin Rudd on 2GB, July 12, 2007

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 11:22pm

Close but not quite as to one of the causes of the Indian Mutiny of 1857:
Quote:
Tallow and lard-greased cartridges

The final spark was provided by the ammunition for the new Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle.[20] These rifles, which fired Minié balls, had a tighter fit than the earlier muskets, and used paper cartridges that came pre-greased. To load the rifle, sepoys had to bite the cartridge open to release the powder.[21] The grease used on these cartridges included tallow derived from beef; which would be offensive to Hindus,[22] or lard derived from pork; which would be offensive to Muslims. At least one Company official pointed out the difficulties this may cause: "unless it be proven that the grease employed in these cartridges is not of a nature to offend or interfere with the prejudices of caste, it will be expedient not to issue them for test to Native corps".[23] However, in August 1856, greased cartridge production was initiated at Fort William, Calcutta, following a British design. The grease used included tallow supplied by the Indian firm of Gangadarh Banerji & Co.[24] By January, the rumours were abroad that the Enfield cartridges were greased with animal fat. Company officers became aware of the rumours through reports of an altercation between a high-caste sepoy and a low-caste labourer at Dum Dum.[25] The labourer had taunted the sepoy that by biting the cartridge, he had himself lost caste, although at this time such cartridges had been issued only at Meerut and not at Dum Dum.[26] There had been rumours that the British sought to destroy the religions of the Indian people, and forcing the native soldiers to break their sacred code would have certainly added to this rumour, as it apparently did. The Company was quick to reverse the effects of this policy in hopes that the Indians would be quelled.[27][28]

On 27 January, Colonel Richard Birch, the Military Secretary, ordered that all cartridges issued from depots were to be free from grease, and that sepoys could grease them themselves using whatever mixture "they may prefer".[29] A modification was also made to the drill for loading so that the cartridge was torn with the hands and not bitten. This however, merely caused many sepoys to be convinced that the rumours were true and that their fears were justified. Additional rumours started that the paper in the new cartridges, which was glazed and stiffer than the previously used paper, was impregnated with grease.[30] In February, a court of inquiry was held at Barrackpore to get to the bottom of these rumours: native soldiers called as witnesses complained of the paper "being stiff and like cloth in the mode of tearing", said that when the paper was burned it smelled of grease, and announced that the suspicion that the paper itself contained grease could not be removed from their minds.[31]

[Source]

There is also another myth about burying Muslims sewn into the skins of Pigs during the Philippine–American War (1899–1902).  However, this was later proved to be a myth by Snopes.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 6:27am

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
wally1 wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:02pm:

If you purify yourself, it seems all is forgiven so I'm not sure why you'd be having nightmares, Annie.

Me either. I also had nightmares about going out without my scarf on when I wore it, which makes even less sense because I used to take it off at the beach as I kept losing it in the surf. So it's not like I never appeared in public without it.

That's the power of religion - there's a shitload of guilt involved.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 6:28am

oink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print