Send Topic Print
Property is theft (Read 1272 times)
|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Property is theft
Sep 11th, 2014 at 12:59pm

Property is theft - discuss.

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Property is theft
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 2:11pm

I am surprised, no one willing to discuss the concept of property?  Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 10:12pm

What's the property?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:41pm

Property is part of  a system to share limited resources, calling it theft is almost self-contradictory. How can someone steal something if owning it isn't allowed in the first place?

The basis of property and governments for that matter is force. There is no fundamental reason that one person should control property and another should not. My ancestors killed a bunch of people and circumstance has left me in control of this property is hardly convincing.

The next argument - that you worked and earning money and exchanged it for the property also suffers from the same flaw, at some point, somewhere force was used. Current owners and controllers of property are not based on free exchange, but on significant power influences.

The order and time of your birth does not give you innate rights to property.

It's power first and justification after the fact.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 6:34am

|dev|null wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 2:11pm:
I am surprised, no one willing to discuss the concept of property?  Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

It's not the concept - it's you.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 11:05am

We are talking in fundamentals here, right? The problem with the term "theft" is that it is associated with right and wrong. Title to real estate is not theft in itself. Title may be questionable though. The authority to confer title is a matter of social organisation. If our allegiance is given to the title creating authority calling property theft is contradictory. Territory is held by force. Like Pi in the lifeboat. He was not stealing from the animals. He was organising things in a way he thought was better, and benefited him. The rights and wrongs are different subjects.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:46pm

|dev|null wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 12:59pm:

Your premise is flawed. Theft presupposes property. No property, no theft. By defining property as theft you're setting up a mouse-wheel nobody wants to get stuck on. Hence, no takers.

Discuss.

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print