Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change (Read 3004 times)
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:38am
 
It is easy for simpletons and politicians to classify a complex issue into ‘yes and no’ or ‘true and false’ or some other variety of the black and white argument.  But life is never that easy and very few serious and complex issues are ever so easily and so conveniently classified.  Climate Change is certainly just such an issue. For starters, most people cannot even easily define the issue.

Just using the term ‘climate change’ is pointless since it is quite obvious that climate changes and always has.  Even adding ‘Anthropogenic ‘ (human caused) to the front doesn’t help much since it is a basic understanding of science that since we form part of the earth’s bio-system we inevitably affect it.  The truly telling word that makes all the change and causes all the debate is the word  ‘catastrophic’. Catastrophic Anthropogenic Climate Change (CACC).

CC is obvious. ACC is pretty certain although the degree of effect is very debatable and should be the core of the debate.  But CACC is where you lost me.

CACC essentially believes we are all going to fry, starve, drown or die in mass numbers unless we all do the IPCC’s bidding and spend hundreds of trillions of dollars changing our lives and lowering our standard of living.  Conveniently, the bulk of that money apparently needs to go to poor third-world countries. It wouldn’t be the UN if it didn’t involve criticising the West and doling out huge amounts of aid to African dictators and other left-wing dictatorships!

But is that C really all that credible?

I am naturally a cynic.  It is my personality trait.  Rather than viewing it as a failing, it is indeed very helpful in business, allowing me to see through the marketing hype and over-optimistic predictions to see the truth.  I don’t fall for scams because I always ask myself ‘where are the facts’ and the pertinent questions. Being a cynic means you don’t trust easily.  Faith isn’t your first resort, but rather your last and blind faith is simply asking too much, period.  So naturally, the word ‘catastrophic’ aroused my instant suspicion. To be honest, I’ve heard it all before.  Blah, Blah Blah.

We had the post World War 2 fear that we would all die in a global nuclear war.  Then we had the pollution global scare of the 1970s where we all expected to die in mounds of rubbish, breathing toxic air and drinking deadly acidic water.  Then we had Y2K, that truly embarrassing example of global hysteria and now, we have CACC.  Originally, we just had Global Warming, but apparently that wasn’t sexy enough and probably too easy to confront so it was renamed CACC.

I’m not a denialist - which is a truly offensive term - but rather a cynic, demanding evidence and proof.  I don’t blindly accept the CACC position and so I ask ‘prove it’.  And that is where we part company.

The default position is always that climate is not heading towards catastrophe and as support for that I refer you to tens of thousands of years of human history where we were not destroyed by climate change. This of course is not proof that we aren’t heading towards catastrophe, but it remains the default position that CACC proponents have to debunk.  As a cynic, I don’t have to prove anything, not a single solitary thing. Rather, it is the job of CACC proponents to prove their case and to be honest, it has been an epic fail.

A 0.89 degree rise in over 100 years doesn’t really concern me and I’m not sure why it should concern anyone.  It clearly hasn’t harmed us in any way and there are good arguments that it has actually been a good thing. When I see that that global warming has stabilised and has for the last 17 years I again question the hysteria over warming.  After years of doom-and-gloom predictions that the poles would melt, they have resolutely failed to do so and even now are increasing in size again. The predicted six metres of sea level rise is closer to 6mm.  The UN’s prediction of 50 million climate refugees by last decade has been off by... fifty million.

But still the hysteria rages unabated and hasn’t it gotten personal? Anyone who has ever debated or argued at length knows that once the debate gets personal you know the other side has lost. Superior, evidence-supported argument doesn’t need personal attacks.  So now I am a ‘denialist’., considered a criminal by some and a fool by many in the CACC crowd, all because I don’t accept on faith a belief that has no support from either history or science.

I’m not a fool.  I’m a cynic.  If you want me to be a believer then you need to prove your case and to date, the CACC crowd have not even gotten close.  The one-time ‘gold standard’ Hockey Stick Graph which once adorned the IPCC reports and backdrops at news conferences is now generously described as bad science, although fraud is a better word.  The Climategate scandals have shown that people are willing to game the system to maintain the momentum of CACC.  But even such reprehensible behaviour doesn’t comprehensively negate CACC, although it certainly severely damages its credibility.  The real nail in the coffin of CACC is climate itself.

The world’s climate is stubbornly refusing to follow the IPCC’s predictive models.  Temperature refuses to rise.  Ice caps refuse to melt.  Glaciers refuse to disappear.  Extreme weather remains at the same level as it has for centuries and in some areas lower.  Sea level rises are in millimetres, not metres. Reservoirs and dams continue to fill, even in dry countries like Australia
Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:38am
 
The world’s climate is stubbornly refusing to follow the IPCC’s predictive models.  Temperature refuses to rise.  Ice caps refuse to melt.  Glaciers refuse to disappear.  Extreme weather remains at the same level as it has for centuries and in some areas lower.  Sea level rises are in millimetres, not metres. Reservoirs and dams continue to fill, even in dry countries like Australia.

I don’t believe in CACC, not because of ideology or blind faith, but rather by observation and science. I see nothing more than minor changes to climate well inside the bounds that history records.  We are cooler than the Medieval Warm Period and warmer than the more recent Little Ice Age.  I know there are groups of scientists that passionately believe in CACC, but until such time as they provide concrete proof, then their hypothesis sounds more like the now-debunked theory of ‘ether’ that had also has the much-loved ‘consensus support’ among scientists for so long. 

Maybe if they got a single predictive model to accurately mirror climate they might have a point. But to date, they have gotten every single prediction wrong and by a large margin. I do not believe that the hypothesis has any scientific merit at all, based on the comprehensive failure of every single model and every single prediction.

That is why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Anthropogenic Climate Change. 
Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
Life_goes_on
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 4772
400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am
 
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?
Back to top
 

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.
 
IP Logged
 
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:48am
 
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?


because that is the term that is being used.
Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
Life_goes_on
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 4772
400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:52am
 
longweekend58 wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:48am:
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?


because that is the term that is being used.


By who?
A sh!t load of those like you who deny the science.
But apart from those, I can't say I've ever seen a scientific article that supports ACC that uses the term "catastrophic".
Okay, I've seen some green stinking hippy types use the term, but nobody that actually knows what they're talking about.

Care to provide an example or two?
Back to top
 

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.
 
IP Logged
 
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:55am
 
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:52am:
longweekend58 wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:48am:
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?


because that is the term that is being used.


By who?
A sh!t load of those like you who deny the science.
But apart from those, I can't say I've ever seen a scientific article that supports ACC that uses the term "catastrophic".
Okay, I've seen some green stinking hippy types use the term, but nobody that actually knows what they're talking about.

Care to provide an example or two?


https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=EO7SU9pLoY3xB4LMgbAM&gws_rd=ssl#q=catastrophic+climate+change

this will take you to EIGHT MILLION REFERENCES to the term including the IPCC.

Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:56am
 
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:52am:
longweekend58 wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:48am:
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?


because that is the term that is being used.


By who?
A sh!t load of those like you who deny the science.
But apart from those, I can't say I've ever seen a scientific article that supports ACC that uses the term "catastrophic".
Okay, I've seen some green stinking hippy types use the term, but nobody that actually knows what they're talking about.

Care to provide an example or two?


deny what science? the hypotheses that are wrong EVERY TIME? or the predictions based on these hypotheses that are wrong EVERY TIME.
Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:00am
 
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?

Well no it is not...  that is a lie.
Thermageddonists use such language all the time.
(Tipping point, critical, runaway, catastrophic, deniers, greatest threat, disease, famine, flood, cyclones, bushfires, death, destruction, ruin, war, etc, etc, etc....)  just to quote a few. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Why do you think they are now collectively called Climate Alarmists?  Or Thermageddonists?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:03am
 
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:52am:
longweekend58 wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:48am:
Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Why is it that the use of the word "catastrophic" in relation to climate change, is usually only used by those on the denial side of the fence?

Why?
Moving the goal posts?


because that is the term that is being used.


By who?
A sh!t load of those like you who deny the science.
But apart from those, I can't say I've ever seen a scientific article that supports ACC that uses the term "catastrophic".
Okay, I've seen some green stinking hippy types use the term, but nobody that actually knows what they're talking about.

Care to provide an example or two?

yet another lie...
People like Plimer and Carter et al, have been called denialists and worse...  but they do not deny Climate Change or Warming at all...  the Thermageddonsists continually lie and slander and libel these people who merely dissent fromtheir opinions re AGW.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:05am
 
Gotta love this quote...

Quote:
“For the continued survival of Earth’s plant, animal, and, indeed, human life, that kind of runaway ignorance is a frightening prospect and one that we can no longer afford to discount,” she continued. “If we don’t contain climate change skeptics soon, we’re putting the very planet at risk.”


http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-climate-change-skeptics-could-reach-cata...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:08am
 
Grendel wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:05am:
Gotta love this quote...

Quote:
“For the continued survival of Earth’s plant, animal, and, indeed, human life, that kind of runaway ignorance is a frightening prospect and one that we can no longer afford to discount,” she continued. “If we don’t contain climate change skeptics soon, we’re putting the very planet at risk.”


http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-climate-change-skeptics-could-reach-cata...


onion news can be so awesome.  they use biting satire to great effect.  the trouble is that with the limited IQ of many on here (eg skippy or bobbY0 they would assume it is a genuine news report.
Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
MOTR
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 6646
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:12am
 
Interesting post, longy, since we've just lived through the hottest June on record. Which followed the hottest may on record.



...
Back to top
 

Hunt says Coalition accepts IPCC findings

"What does this mean? It means that we need to do practical things that actually reduce emissions."
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:15am
 
Quote:
Climate inaction catastrophic - US
The costs of inaction on climate change will be "catastrophic", according to US Secretary of State
John Kerry.


Mr Kerry
was responding to a major report by the UN which described the impacts of global warming as "severe, pervasive and irreversible".

He said dramatic and swift action was required to tackle the threats posed by a rapidly changing climate.

Our health, homes, food and safety are all likely to be threatened by rising temperatures, the report says.

Scientists and officials meeting in Japan say the document is the most comprehensive assessment to date of the impacts of climate change on the world.

In a statement,
Mr Kerry
said: "Unless we act dramatically and quickly, science tells us our climate and our way of life are literally in jeopardy. Denial of the science is malpractice.

"There are those who say we can't afford to act. But waiting is truly unaffordable. The costs of inaction are catastrophic."

Rajendra Pachauri,
chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which produced the report, told BBC News: "Even in rich countries, the impacts of climate change could lead to greater incidents of pockets of poverty, even in rich countries could lead to impoverishment of some particular communities.

"However there is an equity issue, because some of the poorest communities in the poorest countries in the world are going to be the worst hit."


Quote:
Some impacts of climate change include a higher risk of flooding and changes to crop yields and water availability. Humans may be able to adapt to some of these changes, but only within limits.

An example of an adaptation strategy would be the construction of sea walls and levees to protect against flooding. Another might be introducing more efficient irrigation for farmers in areas where water is scarce.

Natural systems are currently bearing the brunt of climatic changes, but a growing impact on humans is feared.

Members of the IPCC say it provides overwhelming evidence of the scale of these effects
.

Quote:
Be it the melting of glaciers or warming of permafrost, the summary highlights the fact that on all continents and across the oceans, changes in the climate have caused impacts on natural and human systems in recent decades.

In the words of the report, "increasing magnitudes of warming increase the likelihood of severe, pervasive and irreversible impacts".

"Nobody on this planet is going to be untouched by the impacts of climate change,'' said
Mr Pachauri.


http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26824943
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
longweekend58
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 45675
Gender: male
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:16am
 
MOTR wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:12am:
Interesting post, longy, since we've just lived through the hottest June on record. Which followed the hottest may on record.



http://s.imwx.com/dru/2014/07/8a143ff7-8290-4824-a4e1-95d73a02ac4a_320x180.jpg


a record of a few decades at best.

and Ive been hearing of these 'hottest since...' records for years now but amazingly when the final outcomes are tallied up the annual change in temperature is NIL. even the UK METs global temperature records say the same thing - no warming. 

but isn't it time for you to tell us how MH17 was a US plot?  After all, isn't it amazing how many climate hysterics are also conspiracy theorists!!!
Back to top
 

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."
 
IP Logged
 
tickleandrose
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 4201
Gender: female
Re: Why I don’t believe in Catastrophic Climate Change
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:17am
 
Even if you dont believe in climate change, the continued burning of fossile fuels is just not viable for the future of the human race.   Already, since the start of the industrial evulotion, our planet's biodiversity had been decreasing sharply.   the rate of extinction is now approach if not greater than of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.   In the past, it was caused by catastrophic events like asteroid strikes, volcanic eruptions.  But we are living in between ice age period, life supposed to be prosper rather than dying out. 

All over the Earth, you can see natural environments like forests, sea beds, farmable lands gave ways to large mines.  And with increasing population, even a primary school student can see that this cannot go on forever. 

We have to reduce our blueprint on this planet.  We have to start seriously turn away from our dependence on non renewable energy to clean and renewable ones.  Even if you dont belief in climate change, then you should still agree with this sensible transformation.    Our ancestors survived many cycles of extinction through luck, and the ability to adapt.  Well, if we want to advance our civilization to the next level, then we need to adapt and change again.  Dont be the weak link. 
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print