Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Selfish drivers should be banned ! (Read 4046 times)
fractalign

Australian Politics

Selfish drivers should be banned !
Jul 1st, 2014 at 5:42pm

You know the ones, always driving at 10 or 20 kilometres below the speed limit because they feel like it. And no they are not towing a trailer or caravan. They are not driving an old underpowered car either, so that excuse goes out the window as well. What they are doing is holding up a line of frustrated motorists who are just trying to get to work or get their kids to school. They are either unaware of their arrogance or very much aware of it.

The ones who are aware of it are the most dangerous of all. While they are content to have everyone play follow the leader, the minute anyone tries to get past them look out. As soon as the long overdue overtaking lane appears you better plant your foot because they do not want you to get past them. They will accelerate as fast as they can to stop you and anyone else from getting away from them and failing that they will merge back into the main lane early.

If you are fortunate enough to get past them they will blast their horn at you or flash their lights as if you are the bad guy.
The saddest thing is that our government actually encourages this behaviour, while it is illegal to speed, there is no law saying you can't drive as slow as you want and hold up as many people as you can in the process. The state rewards stupidity by allowing these selfish motorists to be on our roads. They drag out the same cliche about how speed kills with out ever looking at what may cause some to speed in the first place. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Re: Selfish drivers should be banned !
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 6:16pm

I believe that some state and territory police DO have such powers, and even occasionally use them. I've never heard of a successful prosecution, though perhaps it's an on the spot fine?

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

fractalign

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:34pm

austranger wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 6:16pm:
I believe that some state and territory police DO have such powers, and even occasionally use them. I've never heard of a successful prosecution, though perhaps it's an on the spot fine?

Yeah I can imagine they would throw it out of court. I could just imagine the defences case. '' The defendant broke no laws, he drove in a manor befitting for the conditions and in doing so he was hounded by those selfish motorists only concerned with getting to work on time or getting their kids off to school. Perhaps they should have left earlier.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 1:32am

fractalign wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:34pm:

Yeah I can imagine they would throw it out of court. I could just imagine the defences case. '' The defendant broke no laws, he drove in a manor befitting for the conditions and in doing so he was hounded by those selfish motorists only concerned with getting to work on time or getting their kids off to school. Perhaps they should have left earlier.

That wouldn't work, he would be in court precisely because he had broken the law, by obstructing the steady and safe flow of traffic, which is what those laws are designed to enable.

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:01am

I thought you could only travel at 10% above and below the speed limit?!!?

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:57am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:01am:

police used to turn a blind eye if you were doing less than 10% over the speed limit, but these days, with the push for revenue raising, that rule no longer applies ... they'll book you for doing 1km over the limit ....

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:00am

John Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:57am:

police used to turn a blind eye if you were doing less than 10% over the speed limit, but these days, with the push for revenue raising, that rule no longer applies ... they'll book you for doing 1km over the limit ....

I've definately been caught doing bugger all over..

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

fractalign

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:25pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:57am:

If they want to raise revenue they should be booking people for going under the speed limit as there are ten times as many crawlers as speeders.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 4:36pm

Wow. On this level of ignorance alone I hope to never see you get a drivers licence.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 6:03pm

Rider wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 4:36pm:

Wow. On this level of ignorance alone I hope to never see you get a drivers licence.

fair go, it used to be the norm  before speed cameras and radars .... police used to give 10% leeway ... which in my opinion was fair ... especially since they used to use their speed as a guide to your speed  .

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:28pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 6:03pm:

fair go, it used to be the norm  before speed cameras and radars .... police used to give 10% leeway ... which in my opinion was fair ... especially since they used to use their speed as a guide to your speed  .

Yeah......we'll you don't get to interpret the speed limit. Traffic cops today are simply robots. They couldn't spell discretion let alone apply it so they just police for the lowest common denominator ...
Ever since I sold my motorbikes I no longer get stung....they can photograph my Lycra clad bum as much as they like  Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:50pm

Rider wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:28pm:

Yeah......we'll you don't get to interpret the speed limit. Traffic cops today are simply robots. They couldn't spell discretion let alone apply it so they just police for the lowest common denominator ...
Ever since I sold my motorbikes I no longer get stung....they can photograph my Lycra clad bum as much as they like  Grin

that's the whole point, the 10% leeway was at a time when they did have to interpret the speed, before speed radars were used  .... that's why they had the leeway. The car's speedo's isn't accurate enough to give you a definite speed ...

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 12:05am

What about arsehole drivers that are turning right across two lanes of traffic and they wait in the middle of the road blocking anyone turning left from getting past them.

IP Logged

Grand Duke Imam Gandalf

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 11:39pm

I am too busy being a Smart Ass intimidating people so they get banned by backward little old ladies like Annie Anthrax with Free Divers Divers BALLS in my mouth.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:24pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:50pm:
Rider wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:28pm:

that's the whole point, the 10% leeway was at a time when they did have to interpret the speed, before speed radars were used  .... that's why they had the leeway. The car's speedo's isn't accurate enough to give you a definite speed ... 

It is still used in NSW, to a point. They make allowance for the possibility that YOUR speedo isn't accurate.
I think it's 5km over the limit before they will book you.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print