Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Noticable climate change? (Read 1306 times)
Winston Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Ministry of Truth

Posts: 1549
Oceania
Gender: male
Noticable climate change?
Apr 1st, 2014 at 1:03am
 
As I understand it, global warming is defined by a measured increase in average temperatures over time. According to my memory and perceptions, there seems to be a greater number of extreme weather events being reported since the climate change debate became mainstream somewhere in the 1990's.

I'm talking about record breaking temperature extremes, droughts, floods, hurricanes, bushfires and even earthquakes. I'm not an expert on the climate change debate, so I'm wondering to what extent these events are considered by the majority of the scientific community, to be a result of actual climate change or an over reporting of those events, due to the increased public interest in the subject.

I have been under the impression that noticable anthropogenic climate change would take place over a much longer time period than a human life. Much too gradually to be actually noticed without using sensitive equipment and recording data over a significant time frame, in order to differentiate from natural fluctuations. Unless of course there are specific periods in which those shifts reach tipping points which are within a human lifetime to observe and that we just happen to be experiencing one at this point in time.

No more than 20 years ago, I recall there being an awareness of the possibility of human influenced climate change, with the depletion of the ozone layer being a popular topic of discussion. But I had a clear impression that if humans were affecting the climate, that it would take a significant period of time and manifest in subtle ways, like species extinction and crop failure, rather than dramatic global weather events. Undecided
Back to top
 

Big Brother is watching you
 
IP Logged
 
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member
*****
Offline


WE ARE BORG

Posts: 26594
Australia
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 3:39am
 
The "drought" in australia isnt so much because it doesnt rain but because when it does rain we dont get the water because coka cola is taking all our groundwater.

SOB
Back to top
 

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged
 
King FriYAY II
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 2109
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 9:48am
 
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 3:39am:
The "drought" in australia isnt so much because it doesnt rain but because when it does rain we dont get the water because coka cola is taking all our groundwater.

SOB


Posting drunk at 3.30 am will make you write garbage like this.

Roll Eyes


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
miketrees
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 6492
Gender: male
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 1:40pm
 
WS, I have seen changes.

Also dont forget the rise in CO2 has been happening for a long time, we may be past the subtle change window.

My text book at school showed CO2 increases measured in Hawaii well away from large industrial areas, that was at least 45 years ago.

I think the discussion we should be having is not if climate change is happening.
It should be since we seem incapable of slowing the carbon output what else can we do to cool the planet?

If we did cool the planet, does that mean the oceans would not be able to contain as much CO2.

CO2 increase in the oceans will not be stopped by cooling the planet .

I am glad I am old and just about fuct, its your problem brats.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Doctor Jolly
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 3808
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 2:11pm
 
miketrees wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 1:40pm:
WS, I have seen changes.

Also dont forget the rise in CO2 has been happening for a long time, we may be past the subtle change window.

My text book at school showed CO2 increases measured in Hawaii well away from large industrial areas, that was at least 45 years ago.

I think the discussion we should be having is not if climate change is happening.
It should be since we seem incapable of slowing the carbon output what else can we do to cool the planet?

If we did cool the planet, does that mean the oceans would not be able to contain as much CO2.

CO2 increase in the oceans will not be stopped by cooling the planet .

I am glad I am old and just about fuct, its your problem brats.


Being old is a poor excuse.

You last legacy to the people who will come after you is to do your best to right the wrongs of your generation.

Dont waste your remaining years.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Attack is invisible: awareness is no escape!
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 2:57pm
 
Winston Smith wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 1:03am:
As I understand it, global warming is defined by a measured increase in average temperatures over time. According to my memory and perceptions, there seems to be a greater number of extreme weather events being reported since the climate change debate became mainstream somewhere in the 1990's.

I'm talking about record breaking temperature extremes, droughts, floods, hurricanes, bushfires and even earthquakes. I'm not an expert on the climate change debate, so I'm wondering to what extent these events are considered by the majority of the scientific community, to be a result of actual climate change or an over reporting of those events, due to the increased public interest in the subject.

I have been under the impression that noticable anthropogenic climate change would take place over a much longer time period than a human life. Much too gradually to be actually noticed without using sensitive equipment and recording data over a significant time frame, in order to differentiate from natural fluctuations. Unless of course there are specific periods in which those shifts reach tipping points which are within a human lifetime to observe and that we just happen to be experiencing one at this point in time.

No more than 20 years ago, I recall there being an awareness of the possibility of human influenced climate change, with the depletion of the ozone layer being a popular topic of discussion. But I had a clear impression that if humans were affecting the climate, that it would take a significant period of time and manifest in subtle ways, like species extinction and crop failure, rather than dramatic global weather events. Undecided

You can't be blamed for spreading FUD... It's a Natural human instinct and despite appearances I am not being facetious ..

No, no ... I'm just being funny  Cheesy ....climate change is akin to a titration test 'cept no one knows all the rules !

**
attack is invisible: awareness is no escape!
  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 2:58pm
 
...ready for battle awaiting The Final Command....
Huh
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member
*****
Offline


WE ARE BORG

Posts: 26594
Australia
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:47am
 
King FriYAY II wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 9:48am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 3:39am:
The "drought" in australia isnt so much because it doesnt rain but because when it does rain we dont get the water because coka cola is taking all our groundwater.

SOB


Posting drunk at 3.30 am will make you write garbage like this.

Roll Eyes




Are you saying that coka cola isnt taking all our groundwater?

SOB
Back to top
 

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged
 
gizmo_2655
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 16010
South West NSW
Gender: male
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 12:09pm
 
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:47am:
King FriYAY II wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 9:48am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 3:39am:
The "drought" in australia isnt so much because it doesnt rain but because when it does rain we dont get the water because coka cola is taking all our groundwater.

SOB


Posting drunk at 3.30 am will make you write garbage like this.

Roll Eyes




Are you saying that coka cola isnt taking all our groundwater?

SOB


Are you saying that Coca Cola uses groundwater, rather than tap water to make soft drinks?
Back to top
 

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat
 
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21603
Gender: male
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 11:03am
 
gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 12:09pm:
Are you saying that Coca Cola uses groundwater, rather than tap water to make soft drinks?



try these -

'One of Coca-Cola Amatil's (CCA) bottled water product is made from water extracted from near the world heritage listed Springbrook National Park.'

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/03/12/3961951.htm

'Coca-Cola Charged with Groundwater Depletion and Pollution in India'

http://environment.about.com/od/waterpollution/a/groundwater_ind.htm
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
miketrees
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 6492
Gender: male
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 1:35pm
 
Are you saying that Coca Cola uses groundwater, rather than tap water to make soft drinks?

This is known as City Slicker Syndrome.

The disconnect between city people and reality.

You may remember it from other classic statements like, we don't need farmers, we get our food from the shops.

While on one level shops will still get food, but wherever they get it by definition it will still be a farmer producing it.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
gizmo_2655
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 16010
South West NSW
Gender: male
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 2:14pm
 
miketrees wrote on Apr 3rd, 2014 at 1:35pm:
Are you saying that Coca Cola uses groundwater, rather than tap water to make soft drinks?

This is known as City Slicker Syndrome.

The disconnect between city people and reality.

You may remember it from other classic statements like, we don't need farmers, we get our food from the shops.

While on one level shops will still get food, but wherever they get it by definition it will still be a farmer producing it.


Of course mike. It makes sense that Coca Cola would build an individual bore, pumping station and filtration system at each and every bottling plant in Australia, rather than just connect to the existing, already filtered, domestic/commercial water supply...
Back to top
 

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 3:36pm
 
miketrees wrote on Apr 1st, 2014 at 1:40pm:
WS, I have seen changes.

Also dont forget the rise in CO2 has been happening for a long time, we may be past the subtle change window.

My text book at school showed CO2 increases measured in Hawaii well away from large industrial areas, that was at least 45 years ago.

I think the discussion we should be having is not if climate change is happening.
It should be since we seem incapable of slowing the carbon output what else can we do to cool the planet?

If we did cool the planet, does that mean the oceans would not be able to contain as much CO2.

CO2 increase in the oceans will not be stopped by cooling the planet .

I am glad I am old and just about fuct, its your problem brats.

It's a regulation versus big business lobbyist problem: the simpleton consumer slash voter can't work out that they are the ones being lobbied against by the sheep clothed planet accountants due to Hollywood and MTV making them accept pulp fiction like pavlovs conditioned subjects!

Money s getting funnier and funnier: all this tap and go stuff is spreading to the gay as metrosexual mobile phone with no end in sight!

Synergistic systems don't decay, they collapse... So I have heard!

Yes, Mike, you must keep helping to warn us all cos we've only got one mudball  Wink
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
miketrees
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 6492
Gender: male
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 4:08pm
 
Yes, Mike, you must keep helping to warn us all cos we've only got one mudball

Have I just been damned with faint praise?

I have trouble understanding Earthlings
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Noticable climate change?
Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 4:18pm
 
miketrees wrote on Apr 3rd, 2014 at 4:08pm:
Yes, Mike, you must keep helping to warn us all cos we've only got one mudball

Have I just been damned with faint praise?

I have trouble understanding Earthlings

I'm no curse, mate: I give a hoot!
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print