Send Topic Print
What's for din dins? (Read 79071 times)
Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
What's for din dins?
Mar 26th, 2014 at 4:22pm

Tonight I've made veal saltimbocca (just have to put it in the oven for a short spell and it's ready - I'm waiting for a telephone call), avocado and tarragon in jelly, and a kale salad.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2015 at 10:40am by Agnes »  

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Re: What's for dinner?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 4:27pm

I was going to bake a banana cake, but then I realised that I would have to put it in the oven at the same time as the veal, or just after, so that can wait for tomorrow....

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 4:48pm

I LOVE veal saltimbocca! Veal, sage, prosciutto, hmmm! Tangy!

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 12:40pm

Sir George of the what now????????  Cheesy

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 1:32pm

Dinner tomorrow—pork, mushroom, fennel and rosemary sausages. If my as yet untried sausage making skills are as good as I fear then we will eat patties instead  Smiley Got a lovely piece of boneless feral boar and bought some slices lard in case sausages need a bit of fat to make them juicy. Also 2m of hog casings.

To go with the snags: potato wedges and dry roasted truss cherry tomatoes. When the wedges come out some pears stuffed with sultanas and chocolate chips will go in.

Looks like a good guide: http://lochac.sca.org/collegium/notes/How%20to%20make%20sausages.pdf

Should have enough snags I can cook some in the offset smoker, hmmmm. 105°C for 2-3 hours and a good half hour of hickory smoke (hickory chunks on top of the charcoal in the firebox.) Funnily enough—apricot and peach wood give a nice light smoky flavor in half the time it takes hickory! Lemon wood gives yet another flavor, rosemary wood yet another.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2014 at 2:32pm by St George of the Garden »  

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 4:54pm

Vegetarian meal tonight (that is if you consider eggs vegetarian).  I'm making a leek quiche and it will be going in the oven in a few minutes.  I have to keep the dairy components in the meal to a minimum, so I used buttermilk instead of cream and I made the pastry with margarine instead of butter.  Once it's in the oven I'll prepare the rest - lettuce and beetroot salad and steamed spinach.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 3:29pm

I eat a modified Atkins diet and last night my husband made buffalo chicken wings with a blue cheese dipping sauce. It was delicious.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm

I made a stir fry of some veg and included some cubes of green pawpaw.
It was ok, never had  green pawpaw before.

i had some pork chops cooked on a rack in the webber so they would be crispy and a lot of the fat would be melted out of them.
They worked perfectly.

My anti blood sugar diet of green leafy veg and lean meat is working well.

Keeping away from anything with flour, sugar, starch and fat.

I must keep reading this thread I am always on the lookout for meal ideas.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 12:33pm

miketrees wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm:
I made a stir fry of some veg and included some cubes of green pawpaw.
It was ok, never had  green pawpaw before.

Green Pawpaw has a neutral salad taste. It absorbs the flavours of other foods. If you don't like toufu, use green pawpaw instead. It's great with thai foods with a lot of chilli.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 2:44pm

Will do Muso

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 6:43pm

Tonight I've baked a leek and cheese pie, made a Salade Piemontese (salad greens, ham, tomato and egg dressed with mayonnaise) and steamed some asparagus.  I was going to bake a cake, but I ran out of time.....

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 7:16pm

noodle box tonight .... got to bludge one night a week

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 7:23pm

I did the slow cook soup yesterday with an antique crock pot.
Some lamb shoulder chops, green beans French lentils, whole garlic cloves, onion, lots of carrot, sweet potato, barley and at the last some diced zucchini. (tiny bit of curry powder)
I was running out of room in the pot, so I took some of the top layer out, mainly zucchini, but a tiny bit of the other vegs and I microwaved it.
Then I mixed the microwaved bits with a bit of soya sauce and blitzed it with the hand held blender.
I left the lid off  the pot and  reduced down until i could remix the blended bit.
I bought a fresh loaf of some yuppie light rye bread and verily it was a good feed.

It looks like Friday Pizza tonight

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 11:23am

miketrees wrote on Apr 11th, 2014 at 7:23pm:
I did the slow cook soup yesterday with an antique crock pot.
Some lamb shoulder chops, green beans French lentils, whole garlic cloves, onion, lots of carrot, sweet potato, barley and at the last some diced zucchini. (tiny bit of curry powder)
I was running out of room in the pot, so I took some of the top layer out, mainly zucchini, but a tiny bit of the other vegs and I microwaved it.
Then I mixed the microwaved bits with a bit of soya sauce and blitzed it with the hand held blender.
I left the lid off  the pot and  reduced down until i could remix the blended bit.
I bought a fresh loaf of some yuppie light rye bread and verily it was a good feed.

It looks like Friday Pizza tonight

That sounds yummy. It's perfect weather up here for a slow cooker meal; I will be using mine tomorrow.

Last night, my husband cooked feta and chilli meatballs that had a leek based tomato sauce with bok choy and snow peas on the side. It was delicious.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 1:35pm

Just got back from the shops with the supplies for tonight's dinner.  I'm going to lightly pan fry some swordfish, make an eggplant relish to go with it and a fennel radicchio and orange salad.

The shops were so busy - must be because of the school holidays - I was lucky to find a parking spot.  Next time I think I'll walk unless I'm getting something heavy.....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 40
Send Topic Print