Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power companies and their meters (Read 299 times)
bludger
Senior Member
****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 314
Gender: male
Power companies and their meters
Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:02am
 
I decided to have a small solar  power system installed.
After installation the electrician hooked it up to the old meter.
The beauty of this is when the solar is generating you get to use it first and the meter winds backwards.  When the sun goes down the grid power comes on and the meter winds forward.
Perfect! That's all I needed. Then they installed the smart meter and I was charged for the installation. This is a con which benefited the power companies at my expense.
Because now they charged me 32 cents a KW and paid me 31 cents a KW. Moreover i had to use their electricity all the time. Then this month they put up my bill by a dollar a week. BUT! my solar price remains the same so I am double whammied. What is worse is when the grid goes down, my solar generation is wasted- I can't use it myself. The grid inverter needs 240 volts to generate it. They send a leaflet with the bill which tells you how to save electricity, but if you do that the price goes up  to make up the loss of profits. This whole system is a shonk, a rort and a ripoff foisted on us by the government in collusion with the power companies.
It must be reversed and the whole lot put back in government hands along with the old meters.
Let me tell you an experience I had with these shonks. I received a flyer in the mail from power company 'A'. with an offer. I rang the number, Yes they will give me a very low price for my peak and off peak use , pay the same for my solar, 17.5 pensioner discount and 18% off if I paid on time.
I figured I would save $40 a month. I accepted.
The bill arrived $30 a month more than the old bill.
They charged me 5 cents KW more and 10 cents KW less for my solar. No discounts of any kind.
I took it to the omnbudsman and they reversed it back to my original company without loss to me.
When I spoke to the head honcho of company 'A' he told me it is the marketing companies they hire who cause all the trouble to  get their success bonus. They all do it he said.
This is why it is a RORT, A RIPOFF AND A SHONK.
I will not be voting labour or liberal ever again I am afraid it will be the green party or a decent independent.
Phew! thats better!
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member
*****
Offline


WE ARE BORG

Posts: 26594
Australia
Re: Power companies and their meters
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:09am
 
Okay - so why dont you install a bigger battery and do away with the power company entirely?Or is that not allowed or possible?

SOB
Back to top
 

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged
 
#
Gold Member
*****
Offline


A fool is certain: an
ignorant fool, absolutely
so

Posts: 2603
Re: Power companies and their meters
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:30pm
 
You are not alone, bludger. The power companies (and the state governments that still own most of them) are trying to prop up a dying business model. It isn't working, but they can't afford to acknowledge that. The way PV+storage economics is going, the shenanigans of state governments and power companies will only motivate individuals, businesses and entire communities to give the grid the flick.

Anyway, read this http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/solar-23763. Pay particular attention to the comments. Hope it cheers you up.  Smiley
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
bludger
Senior Member
****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 314
Gender: male
Re: Power companies and their meters
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 12:00pm
 
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:09am:
Okay - so why dont you install a bigger battery and do away with the power company entirely?Or is that not allowed or possible?

SOB

This grid inverter is not compatible  with batteries, it runs on 240 volts from the grid. It's a trap.
Batteries are extremely expensive but if I win lotto I'll go independent.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
bludger
Senior Member
****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 314
Gender: male
Re: Power companies and their meters
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 12:02pm
 
# wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:30pm:
You are not alone, bludger. The power companies (and the state governments that still own most of them) are trying to prop up a dying business model. It isn't working, but they can't afford to acknowledge that. The way PV+storage economics is going, the shenanigans of state governments and power companies will only motivate individuals, businesses and entire communities to give the grid the flick.

Anyway, read this http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/solar-23763. Pay particular attention to the comments. Hope it cheers you up.  Smiley

Well that cheers me up no end. Thankyou Smiley
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print