http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3873461.htm#transcriptLES GALLAGHER: Thanks Tony. I'd like to ask if any of the business people on the panel supports the carbon tax.
TONY JONES: Carol Schwartz?
CAROL SCHWARTZ: I think that when you think back to 2007/2008, there was an absolute consensus in this country about the need to deal with carbon emissions. The fact is that Australia is the second largest polluter per capita globally of carbon and I don't think that any of us are very proud of that. And I think that the carbon tax, although a good - well, sorry was meant to be the first stage of the Emission Trading Scheme and Julia Gillard herself has said that, by calling it a carbon tax she actually created a big problem for herself, a political problem. So all of a sudden, the consensus that had been gained was actually lost and it became a political football. I actually think that had she said, "This is the first stage of the carbon trading scheme and we are then moving into the global market for carbon", I think that it would have been much more successful and I think that we, as a nation, would have been very happy to accept that.
TONY JONES: John Symond, let's hear you on that. I mean the carbon tax, of course, was named that by Julia Gillard when asked a question about it. Do you think the carbon tax or a carbon price is still a good idea?
TONY JONES: No. I think there needs to be a price on carbon but I think the way it was structured as a carbon tax was the wrong way to go and I still firmly believe that is the wrong way to go but there needs to be a price on carbon.
TONY JONES: Graham Bradley? There needs to be a price on carbon?
GRAHAM BRADLEY: Well, I'm not quite so convinced what we put in place here was a good idea and the way it was implemented. We had one of the highest taxes on carbon of any country in the world. Much, much higher than the Europeans. Much, much higher than any other country has put in place and that's been a huge impost on Australian industry. It's lost us jobs. It’s sent overseas jobs. It's closed smelters. It's had quite an impact on the Australian economy and that's why I think there has been a popular mandate for the repeal of that tax. It was too far, too soon without the backing of an international agreement.
TONY JONES: The Australian Industry Group says that we shouldn't expect prices to drop once the carbon tax is axed, if it is axed, because most businesses did not pass on the cost of the carbon tax. Is that true in your experience?
GRAHAM BRADLEY: Look, there is a lot of factors that go to make electricity prices go up, as they have, you know, significantly for most Australians’ households and businesses over recent times. For example, the carbon tax was just one of them. There is also the price of gas, there’s also the cost of linking renewable energy and wind farms into our system and the capital cost associated with that. So it would be wrong to expect a sudden and dramatic reduction in all costs across the economy by abolishing just one of the factors that's affected that.
TONY JONES: Elizabeth?
ELIZABETH PROUST: It was a broken promise and it looked and felt like a broken promise. The price was too high. But I don't know anybody who doesn't believe that climate change is real and we do need to deal with our emissions. The problem, I think, as Carol has pointed out, the consensus about it broke down and broke down early, so that it became a divisive issue, both in the community and between the political parties and getting back to some kind of consensus is now going to be hard.
TONY JONES: Do you agree with both Carol and John there still should be a carbon price?
ELIZABETH PROUST: There should be a carbon price and an Emission Trading Scheme and I don't think there is many people in business who would disagree with that.
TONY JONES: See, the Coalition is going to find that surprising, because their basic argument is we will get rid of the carbon tax and business confidence will go back up again.
ELIZABETH PROUST: Well, I think that’s, again, another difference between being in Opposition and being in Government. It is easy in opposition to have the, you know, stop the boats, end the carbon tax, but when you get into government you actually have to do something about the fundamental causes of those issues.
TONY JONES: Do you think business is actually saying this to government at the highest levels? Because we now have a coalition government and it’s absolutely set on having no carbon tax, no carbon price, no Emissions Trading Scheme and yet we hear a kind of consensus on this table that there should be a carbon price and an Emissions Trading Scheme?
CAROL SCHWARTZ: Tony, can I just say one thing? I want to agree with Elizabeth and I was at a number of international conferences - I don't know, five, seven years ago - where each CEO of multinational companies were saying they were already putting a price on carbon. That's the way that they were costing their businesses. They were putting a price on carbon and I believe that a number of the Australian businesses do as well.
[continued ...]