muso wrote on Nov 18
th, 2013 at 3:50am:
Chimp_Logic wrote on Nov 17
th, 2013 at 9:23pm:
The only physiological difference between men and women in terms of brain function is that the female brain has a greater capacity in the left-right brain hemisphere interface
Kind of explains why women can carry out many tasks at the same time - generally better than men.
And apart from the obvious hormonal differences, there is no scientific evidence I am aware of that shows men and women think differently about issues.
Soren, for all his faults, will have a field day with this, and he'll be right. My life experience helps me tell the difference. There are distinctive personality differences.
Don't get me wrong though. They are subtle differences that make very little difference in practice. I'm not claiming significant advantages (but you are....hmmm. )
I
also think that you're trying to applying phase diagrams inappropriately - In other words in non-equilibrium cases. In the Antarctic situation, there are all sorts of complex dynamic effects at play. Surface effects, non laminar flow, Venturi effects etc. We have katabatic winds at speeds in excess of 200km/hr. It's not a neat quasi-equilibrium laboratory experiment where everything fits neatly into boxes. You're not making allowances for kinetics and fluid dynamics.
that's all I am saying anyway
...
describe the mechanism by which frozen water goes from a solid state to a gaseous state, at pressures above the Triple point (ie in this case at atmospheric pressure)
You yourself describe a monolayer of water molecules and characterise this layer as a liquid. (more explanation please)
The process that is described is not strictly sublimation. Maybe Pseudo-sublimation or the process is so slow that it appears that a liquid phase is avoided and frozen ice directly turns into water vapour.
Remember you are operating at ambient pressures that are two orders of magnitude higher than the minimum pressure needed for sublimation to occur (for water)
(I know a researcher who worked for CSIRO in the past and has carried out research in Antarctica. I may whip out an email to her this week, if I can track her down)