Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Indian mynah eradication program (Read 5492 times)
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #30 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:18am
 
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:14pm:
.........I've seen a few
noisy mynahs
lately after a long absence.........   MANTRA

Thats WRONG.Mantra.

You mean Noisy Miners ,  as in the quote by Frances  previously.


Yes. I assumed she was talking about the Australian native miner. I didn't realise the names were spelt differently.

I'm up north a bit from Sydney and quite a few of the larger native birds have returned to the area possibly because of their diminishing habitat elsewhere. The large birds also have a better chance of survival against domestic predators - cats and dogs.

Birds are my favourite animal and there isn't much we can do to protect them unless we keep a vigilant eye on our own gardens. Growing trees and plenty of large shrubs helps.


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
John Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 78311
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #31 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:19am
 
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:19pm:
well I don't know about that JS.
Depends on what you want to believe I guess.. I also heard some pollie claim that it was under control, with some 'end-date' in sight  ....
Huh
but I live in an area which has just been notified of it's first 'fire-ant' nest(s) within the last 6mths..or so...

and in the last 2-3 mths helicopters have been active, in this and surrounding areas..with associated Roadside Signs  advising of fire-ant heli-searches as recently as last week.

So.. I wouldn't believe the hype... if we fail, life will definitely change in the Great Australian Outdoors.!!

But as for the Indian Mynah...  it will have just as profound an impact,  JUST it won't be as noticeable to the average aussie... for a long while. I think eradicating Indian Mynahs, is just as important as eradicating fire ants,  BUT ...that is not where the money is being spent.



searching for ants with helicoptors? .... who thought of doing that .....
Back to top
 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
 
IP Logged
 
magpie
Full Member
***
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 119
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #32 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:28am
 
John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:19am:
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:19pm:
well I don't know about that JS.
Depends on what you want to believe I guess.. I also heard some pollie claim that it was under control, with some 'end-date' in sight  ....
Huh
but I live in an area which has just been notified of it's first 'fire-ant' nest(s) within the last 6mths..or so...

and in the last 2-3 mths helicopters have been active, in this and surrounding areas..with associated Roadside Signs  advising of fire-ant heli-searches as recently as last week.

So.. I wouldn't believe the hype... if we fail, life will definitely change in the Great Australian Outdoors.!!

But as for the Indian Mynah...  it will have just as profound an impact,  JUST it won't be as noticeable to the average aussie... for a long while. I think eradicating Indian Mynahs, is just as important as eradicating fire ants,  BUT ...that is not where the money is being spent.



searching for ants with helicoptors? .... who thought of doing that .....

the helicoptor hire company..
Back to top
 

pansi1951 wrote: Israel's heart is blackened by the blood of innocent Palestinian children. Karma awaits you, Israel. Your day of reckoning is fast approaching.
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #33 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:47pm
 
Some smarty  Wink
There is a special 'Bio-Security' taskforce who's job it is to seek and destroy fire-ants... to eradicate them.!!

The helicopters use specialised heat-seeking equipment, like a radar from the air, sort of., 

fire ant nests apparently have a particular 'heat-signature' unlike native ant nests.

Fascinating isn't it.  ?

I hope they succeed, because we really don't want these ants getting established in Australia.
The wee beasties originate in the Sth American rainforest I think,  and spread north till they now reside in much of the southern US, as well.

And now here.  But so far, I believe, only parts of SEQ are infested.... the idea is to stop them here, before they can spread.  It is sort of a 'horror movie'. Sad
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
John Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 78311
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #34 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:24pm
 
Emma wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:47pm:
Some smarty  Wink
There is a special 'Bio-Security' taskforce who's job it is to seek and destroy fire-ants... to eradicate them.!!

The helicopters use specialised heat-seeking equipment, like a radar from the air, sort of., 

fire ant nests apparently have a particular 'heat-signature' unlike native ant nests.

Fascinating isn't it.  ?

I hope they succeed, because we really don't want these ants getting established in Australia.
The wee beasties originate in the Sth American rainforest I think,  and spread north till they now reside in much of the southern US, as well.

And now here.  But so far, I believe, only parts of SEQ are infested.... the idea is to stop them here, before they can spread.  It is sort of a 'horror movie'. Sad


you live and learn ..... thanks ...
Back to top
 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
 
IP Logged
 
Frances
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 3577
In a Castle in the Hills
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #35 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:56pm
 
Here's a link to some rather interesting information about fire ants: http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/4790_4547.htm

...
Back to top
 

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #36 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 9:17pm
 
thanks for that info frances. Smiley

they are a fearsome enemy.
as I said, no other country invaded by these ants have successfully beaten them.

Lets hope we are the first... and that we develop methodology which works elsewhere also.
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
John Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 78311
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #37 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 9:19pm
 
Emma wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 9:17pm:
thanks for that info frances. Smiley

they are a fearsome enemy.
as I said, no other country invaded by these ants have successfully beaten them.

Lets hope we are the first... and that we develop methodology which works elsewhere also.


maybe we can feed them canetoads? or mynah birds?
Back to top
 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print