Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Indian mynah eradication program (Read 5496 times)
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #15 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:00pm
 
agreed.!!
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:37pm
 
Much more importance needs to be given to these foul birds.

I see them a lot in Bris suburbs, and they are extending more and more in to the SE Queensland ecosystem, which is already in a bad state due to excessive tree-clearing and the ozzie dream being developed throughout SEQ. Koalas are in dire straits here,  I've not heard one in yrs now (never could spot them in the trees).. but I do have lots of bird, reptile and marsupial diversity, along with the smaller things... Smiley... and more and more mynah's.

I know them well, ..as a kid in NZ they were really dominant, and I recall their calls very well... they are in residence on neighbouring properties, altho the native birds are , with my help, keeping them off my place...They thought that they'd take  space at my place once, when I  was away for a few weeks... when I got back and saw the dirty birds ,  I moved them on quick smart..

You CAN keep them off you own place, if you take action..!!  they are very smart,
..and if you make it uncomfortable for them they WILL keep away...like..next door. BUGGERS.!!

How??
Interested?/ 
I have tried to engage some few neighbours in chasing them off, but not enough,.... and as Council literature pointed out , in a pamphlet released here recently, it is a good idea to advise your local council of where you see them,  ..rather than chase them off to be someone else's problem. THING with that is, you ring the Council and the operator seems not to understand, for a while, and then can't get anyone as they're all out in the field, etc.

I followed up on the traps with the Council, who eventually were able to tell me,  that the plans for the traps were available from another society.. to do with birds..??

Needless to say I continue  discouraging them from my own place, and spreading the word to anyone who'll listen..

Smiley
Do you know how to piss them off from your place?  I'll tell you.... assuming your circumstances aren't significantly diff in scale than mine,  it should work OK. Smiley





Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:38pm
 
Emma wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 10:43pm:
While I agree that larger aggressive Australian native birds can 'handle' small infestations of local Mynahs,   it's the bigger picture that is important.

Mynahs accrue in such numbers, over time, that native birds become overwhelmed.

Drive across this country, and you will see them all over... where they never were before.


The traps haven't always proved successful. They don't only just trap mynahs, they catch doves, lorikeets, wattle birds etc. also. I'm not sure whether other species can even be separated from the mynahs before they're euthanised by gas.

Quote:
Saying local species will handle and wipe them out .. is a bit like saying
Australians taking on solar power en masse will solve the climate change problem.


I can only speak for the changes occurring locally and the mynah birds are certainly not as prolific as they used to be. Native species obviously can't wipe them out, but they can help drive them away under the right conditions.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #18 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:06pm
 
not knowing your area I can't comment on your local problem.

The traps I refer to are apparently specifically intended for mynahs. It is claimed that native birds like those you mentioned  and magpies, inquisitive as they are, , won't enter the traps and be caught, due to the design.

Mynahs apparently have particular behaviours, and characteristics not shared by native birds,  and these traps utilise those differences. Nor do they harm the birds.
So they say, tho I can't confirm that because I don't have one nor have I used one...

like I said I focus on my immediate location...  the bigger problem is just that... a bigger problem than I can affect, except locally.

So I chase them away...  OK?? Smiley

Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Frances
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 3577
In a Castle in the Hills
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #19 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:49pm
 
mantra wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:38pm:
Native species obviously can't wipe them out, but they can help drive them away under the right conditions.

Where I am it looks like the noisy miners have just about done that.  Things are obviously different in Brisbane though.

Mind you they're not all gone - I did see two Indian mynas today.....
Back to top
 

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #20 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:01pm
 
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:06pm:
So I chase them away...  OK?? Smiley



If you can be bothered doing that often enough - it helps a bit. They're easily frightened.


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:06pm
 
Frances wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:49pm:
mantra wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:38pm:
Native species obviously can't wipe them out, but they can help drive them away under the right conditions.

Where I am it looks like the noisy miners have just about done that.  Things are obviously different in Brisbane though.

Mind you they're not all gone - I did see two Indian mynas today.....


I've seen a few noisy mynahs lately after a long absence. It's possible they can drive the others away. Perhaps some of our native birds are getting better at defending their territory.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #22 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:07pm
 
Not a matter of being bothered.  It's important to me to protect the creatures that live on the land I hold, small as it is..

Mynahs are a huge threat.

They have a much wider habitat -type affinity than our natives.... they adapt and multiply....   

..and you can see them as far west as St George  at least, and Roma,  and most places inbetween.

Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
John Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 78311
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #23 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:14pm
 
the govt. should relax the laws about slug guns and sling shots .... the local kids would soon take care of the little fkers whilst at the same time getting out from behind the TV or PC, exercising and having fun.....
Back to top
 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #24 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:14pm
 
.........I've seen a few
noisy mynahs
lately after a long absence.........   MANTRA

Thats WRONG.Mantra.

You mean Noisy Miners ,  as in the quote by Frances  previously.
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #25 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:20pm
 
John Smith wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:14pm:
the govt. should relax the laws about slug guns and sling shots .... the local kids would soon take care of the little fkers whilst at the same time getting out from behind the TV or PC, exercising and having fun.....



There's an idea JS Smiley

Altho I'd leave it at Shanghais.....  you don't even need to hit the beggars,  you just need to keep lofting rocks their way until they get the idea, and go somewhere else... Smiley Smiley
And it's fun, seeing how close you can get to 'em in the trees, on the ground...   but they're smart... they post look-outs.!! Smiley
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
John Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 78311
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #26 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:24pm
 
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:20pm:
John Smith wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:14pm:
the govt. should relax the laws about slug guns and sling shots .... the local kids would soon take care of the little fkers whilst at the same time getting out from behind the TV or PC, exercising and having fun.....



There's an idea JS Smiley

Altho I'd leave it at Shanghais.....  you don't even need to hit the beggars,  you just need to keep lofting rocks their way until they get the idea, and go somewhere else... Smiley Smiley
And it's fun, seeing how close you can get to 'em in the trees, on the ground...   but they're smart... they post look-outs.!! Smiley


yes but that just moves them onto the next street ... I'd rather be rid of them, unless we can move them back to India what the point of just moving them from one suburb to another ....
Back to top
 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #27 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:45pm
 
well that is really my point/.... after all..

perhaps I should be clearer... I think that it should be a major focus of environmental protection to have a concerted effort to get rid of them, and that's not possible on a local basis.
Further,  .. that how ever much local Councils are aware of the issue,  they're never going to have enough funds to set-up an effective campaign.  There are lot's of people aware of the problem,but no really concerted effort to do anything about them.

Unlike another unfolding problem here in SEQ,... which is the continuing discovery of large
'fire ant' colonies.  The Q Govt claims it will beat them,  but no other nation in the world has,  and if we fail up here, it won't be long, just like cane toads , before these enviro disasters spread .  There have been  major on-going attempts at the eradication of fire-ants, since they were first discovered, maybe a decade (?) or so ago, around the port of Brisbane. They are now using helicopters with special heat-sensing equip to try and locate nests.!!

Now, they are found in widely separated and increasing areas.
They haven't made it down to the Gold Coast  YET,  and are slowly advancing west towards the Darling Downs,  a major food growing region in Australia.

Now  NOT EVERYONE would want to tackle a fire-ants nest,  as they have been fatal to humans......
and Cane Toads???  they're in ... done deal.. too late...

but we could all work on Mynah birds.....  the Indian Mynah bird..... because we all see them everyday, whether we notice or not.!!

Cheers.
Smiley Smiley


Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
John Smith
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 78311
Gender: male
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #28 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:06pm
 
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:45pm:
well that is really my point/.... after all..

perhaps I should be clearer... I think that it should be a major focus of environmental protection to have a concerted effort to get rid of them, and that's not possible on a local basis.
Further,  .. that how ever much local Councils are aware of the issue,  they're never going to have enough funds to set-up an effective campaign.  There are lot's of people aware of the problem,but no really concerted effort to do anything about them.

Unlike another unfolding problem here in SEQ,... which is the continuing discovery of large
'fire ant' colonies.  The Q Govt claims it will beat them,  but no other nation in the world has,  and if we fail up here, it won't be long, just like cane toads , before these enviro disasters spread .  There have been  major on-going attempts at the eradication of fire-ants, since they were first discovered, maybe a decade (?) or so ago, around the port of Brisbane. They are now using helicopters with special heat-sensing equip to try and locate nests.!!

Now, they are found in widely separated and increasing areas.
They haven't made it down to the Gold Coast  YET,  and are slowly advancing west towards the Darling Downs,  a major food growing region in Australia.

Now  NOT EVERYONE would want to tackle a fire-ants nest,  as they have been fatal to humans......
and Cane Toads???  they're in ... done deal.. too late...

but we could all work on Mynah birds.....  the Indian Mynah bird..... because we all see them everyday, whether we notice or not.!!

Cheers.
Smiley Smiley




I thought they had gotten the spread of fire ants under control? I too am in SE Qld, and I haven't seen any   .... I know there was a big campaign against them a few years ago... but it's quietened down somewhat now .
Back to top
 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Indian mynah eradication program
Reply #29 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:19pm
 
well I don't know about that JS.
Depends on what you want to believe I guess.. I also heard some pollie claim that it was under control, with some 'end-date' in sight  ....
Huh
but I live in an area which has just been notified of it's first 'fire-ant' nest(s) within the last 6mths..or so...

and in the last 2-3 mths helicopters have been active, in this and surrounding areas..with associated Roadside Signs  advising of fire-ant heli-searches as recently as last week.

So.. I wouldn't believe the hype... if we fail, life will definitely change in the Great Australian Outdoors.!!

But as for the Indian Mynah...  it will have just as profound an impact,  JUST it won't be as noticeable to the average aussie... for a long while. I think eradicating Indian Mynahs, is just as important as eradicating fire ants,  BUT ...that is not where the money is being spent.

Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print