Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan. (Read 4205 times)
Prevailing
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 7169
Stop Men
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:01pm
 
We can send the Bill to the Greens & the Meritocracy..take it out of their Super... Cool Cool
Back to top
 

I condemn Male Violence Against Women
The Government Supports Gynocide
There Is Something Dreadfully Wrong With Men
 
IP Logged
 
...
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 23673
WA
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:01pm
 
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
I'm gonna have to agree with SOB on this one, even though I believe his intent was tinged with malice.

"Hero" is a word used far too freely these days, so as to strip it of all meaning. 

They may have performed heroic deeds, we don't know, but simply being in the army does not make one a hero by default.  The same must be said to the "but what about the real heroes" crew - No, doctors, teachers or sick children aren't heroes either, unless they, as an individual, perform deeds or display qualities worthy of the term.  We haven't heard (or at least I haven't) the circumstances of his death - merely dying doesn't make you a hero, it's what you do in life that make you one. 

Until such time as evidence comes to light of their heroism, These guys will be just another workplace death to me, no more or less heroic than someone who falls over the edge of their fishing boat and drowns, or gets caught in machinery at the factory they work in.   





Spoken like a true civilian, the ability to pass judgement on those who serve is easy from the  safety of your couch.


When a civilian has to do their job all while being shot at by someone bent on killing you, then you can have an opinion of what it means to be a hero, until then it's best to be quiet.





yeah I knew you'd get all up in arms about that.  Would it further raise your hackles if I pointed out that I did excatly the opposite of 'pass judgment' while you did judge them heroes, by virtue of choosing to enlist of the army?  I bet it will. Touchy dam subject, but it needed to be said.

I'd expect there to be a higher instance of actual heroes in the armed forces, but that doesn't mean they're all heroes.

Back to top
 

In the fullness of time...
 
IP Logged
 
BigOl64
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 14438
Townsville QLD
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:12pm
 
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:01pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
I'm gonna have to agree with SOB on this one, even though I believe his intent was tinged with malice.

"Hero" is a word used far too freely these days, so as to strip it of all meaning. 

They may have performed heroic deeds, we don't know, but simply being in the army does not make one a hero by default.  The same must be said to the "but what about the real heroes" crew - No, doctors, teachers or sick children aren't heroes either, unless they, as an individual, perform deeds or display qualities worthy of the term.  We haven't heard (or at least I haven't) the circumstances of his death - merely dying doesn't make you a hero, it's what you do in life that make you one. 

Until such time as evidence comes to light of their heroism, These guys will be just another workplace death to me, no more or less heroic than someone who falls over the edge of their fishing boat and drowns, or gets caught in machinery at the factory they work in.   





Spoken like a true civilian, the ability to pass judgement on those who serve is easy from the  safety of your couch.


When a civilian has to do their job all while being shot at by someone bent on killing you, then you can have an opinion of what it means to be a hero, until then it's best to be quiet.





yeah I knew you'd get all up in arms about that.  Would it further raise your hackles if I pointed out that I did excatly the opposite of 'pass judgment' while you did judge them heroes, by virtue of choosing to enlist of the army?  I bet it will. Touchy dam subject, but it needed to be said.

I'd expect there to be a higher instance of actual heroes in the armed forces, but that doesn't mean they're all heroes.




I actually passed judgement on you.

They didn't just join the friggen army, they died while under fire and as a fully fledged civilian with absolutely no understanding of what that is like, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant..


FFS, think just a little bit before posting again.


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
adelcrow
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 20133
everywhere
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:17pm
 
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:12pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:01pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
I'm gonna have to agree with SOB on this one, even though I believe his intent was tinged with malice.

"Hero" is a word used far too freely these days, so as to strip it of all meaning. 

They may have performed heroic deeds, we don't know, but simply being in the army does not make one a hero by default.  The same must be said to the "but what about the real heroes" crew - No, doctors, teachers or sick children aren't heroes either, unless they, as an individual, perform deeds or display qualities worthy of the term.  We haven't heard (or at least I haven't) the circumstances of his death - merely dying doesn't make you a hero, it's what you do in life that make you one. 

Until such time as evidence comes to light of their heroism, These guys will be just another workplace death to me, no more or less heroic than someone who falls over the edge of their fishing boat and drowns, or gets caught in machinery at the factory they work in.   





Spoken like a true civilian, the ability to pass judgement on those who serve is easy from the  safety of your couch.


When a civilian has to do their job all while being shot at by someone bent on killing you, then you can have an opinion of what it means to be a hero, until then it's best to be quiet.





yeah I knew you'd get all up in arms about that.  Would it further raise your hackles if I pointed out that I did excatly the opposite of 'pass judgment' while you did judge them heroes, by virtue of choosing to enlist of the army?  I bet it will. Touchy dam subject, but it needed to be said.

I'd expect there to be a higher instance of actual heroes in the armed forces, but that doesn't mean they're all heroes.




I actually passed judgement on you.

They didn't just join the friggen army, they died while under fire and as a fully fledged civilian with absolutely no understanding of what that is like, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant..


FFS, think just a little bit before posting again.




What rubbish..wrap it anyway you want but all your doing is defending our pollies for using any excuse to kill our young people..
Back to top
 

Go the Bunnies
 
IP Logged
 
BigOl64
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 14438
Townsville QLD
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:23pm
 
adelcrow wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:17pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:12pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:01pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
I'm gonna have to agree with SOB on this one, even though I believe his intent was tinged with malice.

"Hero" is a word used far too freely these days, so as to strip it of all meaning. 

They may have performed heroic deeds, we don't know, but simply being in the army does not make one a hero by default.  The same must be said to the "but what about the real heroes" crew - No, doctors, teachers or sick children aren't heroes either, unless they, as an individual, perform deeds or display qualities worthy of the term.  We haven't heard (or at least I haven't) the circumstances of his death - merely dying doesn't make you a hero, it's what you do in life that make you one. 

Until such time as evidence comes to light of their heroism, These guys will be just another workplace death to me, no more or less heroic than someone who falls over the edge of their fishing boat and drowns, or gets caught in machinery at the factory they work in.   





Spoken like a true civilian, the ability to pass judgement on those who serve is easy from the  safety of your couch.


When a civilian has to do their job all while being shot at by someone bent on killing you, then you can have an opinion of what it means to be a hero, until then it's best to be quiet.





yeah I knew you'd get all up in arms about that.  Would it further raise your hackles if I pointed out that I did excatly the opposite of 'pass judgment' while you did judge them heroes, by virtue of choosing to enlist of the army?  I bet it will. Touchy dam subject, but it needed to be said.

I'd expect there to be a higher instance of actual heroes in the armed forces, but that doesn't mean they're all heroes.




I actually passed judgement on you.

They didn't just join the friggen army, they died while under fire and as a fully fledged civilian with absolutely no understanding of what that is like, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant..


FFS, think just a little bit before posting again.




What rubbish..wrap it anyway you want but all your doing is defending our pollies for using any excuse to kill our young people..



And you would know this because of your vast experience in the ADF?


If this was about the pollies the OP would have a reference to pollies and not dead soldiers this is nothing more than an opportunity for you and your deadsh1t mates to troll the dead.


Show some respect or bugger off


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
...
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 23673
WA
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:24pm
 
When everyone is a hero, noone is. 

Back to top
 

In the fullness of time...
 
IP Logged
 
adelcrow
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 20133
everywhere
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:25pm
 
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:23pm:
adelcrow wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:17pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:12pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:01pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
... wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
I'm gonna have to agree with SOB on this one, even though I believe his intent was tinged with malice.

"Hero" is a word used far too freely these days, so as to strip it of all meaning. 

They may have performed heroic deeds, we don't know, but simply being in the army does not make one a hero by default.  The same must be said to the "but what about the real heroes" crew - No, doctors, teachers or sick children aren't heroes either, unless they, as an individual, perform deeds or display qualities worthy of the term.  We haven't heard (or at least I haven't) the circumstances of his death - merely dying doesn't make you a hero, it's what you do in life that make you one. 

Until such time as evidence comes to light of their heroism, These guys will be just another workplace death to me, no more or less heroic than someone who falls over the edge of their fishing boat and drowns, or gets caught in machinery at the factory they work in.   





Spoken like a true civilian, the ability to pass judgement on those who serve is easy from the  safety of your couch.


When a civilian has to do their job all while being shot at by someone bent on killing you, then you can have an opinion of what it means to be a hero, until then it's best to be quiet.





yeah I knew you'd get all up in arms about that.  Would it further raise your hackles if I pointed out that I did excatly the opposite of 'pass judgment' while you did judge them heroes, by virtue of choosing to enlist of the army?  I bet it will. Touchy dam subject, but it needed to be said.

I'd expect there to be a higher instance of actual heroes in the armed forces, but that doesn't mean they're all heroes.




I actually passed judgement on you.

They didn't just join the friggen army, they died while under fire and as a fully fledged civilian with absolutely no understanding of what that is like, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant..


FFS, think just a little bit before posting again.




What rubbish..wrap it anyway you want but all your doing is defending our pollies for using any excuse to kill our young people..



And you would know this because of your vast experience in the ADF?


If this was about the pollies the OP would have a reference to pollies and not dead soldiers this is nothing more than an opportunity for you and your deadsh1t mates to troll the dead.


Show some respect or bugger off




Like I said..wrap it anyway you want but all your doing is defending our pollies and disrespecting those dying for their mistakes
Back to top
 

Go the Bunnies
 
IP Logged
 
adelcrow
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 20133
everywhere
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:30pm
 
Ol64..you're younger than me so u never served in any wars..bathing in the reflected glory of others?
Back to top
 

Go the Bunnies
 
IP Logged
 
Soren
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 25654
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm
 
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:19am:
cods wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:00am:
I am so sad.. none of it makes any sense anymore.. but they died HEROS in my book anyway..

R.I.P. I wish it was more.


How exactly are they heroes?

SOB



Exactly the way you are not.




The Afghan unit the traitorous, cowardly sh!thead belonged to should be decimated.


Back to top
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:33pm by Soren »  
 
IP Logged
 
adelcrow
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 20133
everywhere
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #24 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:33pm
 
Soren wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:19am:
cods wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:00am:
I am so sad.. none of it makes any sense anymore.. but they died HEROS in my book anyway..

R.I.P. I wish it was more.


How exactly are they heroes?

SOB



Exactly the way you are not.




What does Tony Abbott think about our kids dying in Afghanistan and Iraq.."sh!t happens"
Back to top
 

Go the Bunnies
 
IP Logged
 
Soren
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 25654
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #25 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:37pm
 
adelcrow wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:33pm:
Soren wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:19am:
cods wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:00am:
I am so sad.. none of it makes any sense anymore.. but they died HEROS in my book anyway..

R.I.P. I wish it was more.


How exactly are they heroes?

SOB



Exactly the way you are not.




What does Tony Abbott think about our kids dying in Afghanistan and Iraq.."sh!t happens"



Is Abbott in charge of government policy now? Why don't you ask what 'shake that fat arse, Julia' Julia thinks?

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
imcrookonit
Ex Member
*



Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:40pm
 
Was Mr Abbott not a senior minister in the Howard government, when Australia got involved in the illegal Iraq war?.    Sad
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Soren
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 25654
Gender: male
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #27 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:41pm
 
Quote:
Was Mr Abbott not a senior minister in the Howard government, when Australia got involved in the illegal Iraq war?.    Sad



Hasn't Labor been in power for 5 years?


They have touched (and buggered up ) everything else.


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member
*****
Offline


WE ARE BORG

Posts: 26594
Australia
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #28 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:50pm
 
Soren wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:19am:
cods wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:00am:
I am so sad.. none of it makes any sense anymore.. but they died HEROS in my book anyway..

R.I.P. I wish it was more.


How exactly are they heroes?

SOB



Exactly the way you are not.




The Afghan unit the traitorous, cowardly sh!thead belonged to should be decimated.




Dying doesnt make someone a hero. Nor does volunteering in peacetime to go to another country to kill ppl all for some political agenda.

SOB
Back to top
 

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged
 
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member
*****
Offline


WE ARE BORG

Posts: 26594
Australia
Re: Australian Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan.
Reply #29 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:51pm
 
Soren wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:37pm:
adelcrow wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:33pm:
Soren wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:19am:
cods wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:00am:
I am so sad.. none of it makes any sense anymore.. but they died HEROS in my book anyway..

R.I.P. I wish it was more.


How exactly are they heroes?

SOB



Exactly the way you are not.




What does Tony Abbott think about our kids dying in Afghanistan and Iraq.."sh!t happens"



Is Abbott in charge of government policy now? Why don't you ask what 'shake that fat arse, Julia' Julia thinks?



Abbott is the one always mouthing off on TV though.

SOB
Back to top
 

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print