Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
People Thinking Australia is Racist = A Good Thing (Read 2361 times)
Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
People Thinking Australia is Racist = A Good Thing
Jul 15th, 2012 at 8:43pm

Whether you agree with the idea that Australia is racist, I think there's a more important question.

Is it really such a bad thing for people to think your country is racist, that you're a disgusting, revolting, despicable bigot?

I was reading comments posted on the page on abc.net.au entitled "Racism in Australia," about how some people were disappointed after coming here and finding that our race relations were worse than in Canada or the USA. It's been a while since the first reported attacks on Indian students and the "Jackson Jives" on "Hey, Hey It's Saturday!"

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/31004.html

The initial reaction of many would be to deny this and argue that this perception was wrong, that things aren't really that bad. The more I thought about it, however, the more I wondered if it really mattered.

Is it really that dangerous for people to think Australia is a racist country, whether or not it's true? I very much doubt it's going to lead to more Australians getting bashed up overseas. You may encounter people who say some unflattering and unhelpful comments to you like, "you're a bigotted, racist Australian," but nothing that would put your life in immediate danger.

The more important thing, however, is whether negative perceptions of Australia are really a danger to this country. If people think Australia is racist, they might think twice before coming here. That would be a good thing for our politicians, who want to limit the number of people coming here.

Telling people this is a great country would leave many people disappointed if instead of friendly, welcoming people they get insults and abuse. If we tell them it's such a horrible place to live in, then yay, we'd get to keep this wonderful land to ourselves and not share it. Spreading negative propaganda is a great way to protect this country from invasion. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Re: People Thinking Australia is Racist = A Good Thing
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:03pm

If your race is superior - racism is a good thing.

If you are of an inferior race and you are racists - bad thing.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 10:11am

Noone should ever apologise for being what they are.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:32pm

People should be allowed to come here and judge for themselves without being influenced otherwise. The benefits of trying to influence people's opinions and perceptions of this country are not great enough to justify the need for such influence. We should simply let nature dictate people's thoughts.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 5:27pm

Soren wrote on Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:03pm:
If your race is superior - racism is a good thing.

If you are of an inferior race and you are racists - bad thing.

It is so, my friend. The Pakistani race has a proud tradition of superior curries.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 5:38pm

Pakistani Race?   You must mean west Indian.

IP Logged

brumbie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:17pm

Mnemonic wrote on Jul 15th, 2012 at 8:43pm:
Whether you agree with the idea that Australia is racist, I think there's a more important question.

Is it really such a bad thing for people to think your country is racist, that you're a disgusting, revolting, despicable bigot?

I was reading comments posted on the page on abc.net.au entitled "Racism in Australia," about how some people were disappointed after coming here and finding that our race relations were worse than in Canada or the USA. It's been a while since the first reported attacks on Indian students and the "Jackson Jives" on "Hey, Hey It's Saturday!"

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/31004.html

The initial reaction of many would be to deny this and argue that this perception was wrong, that things aren't really that bad. The more I thought about it, however, the more I wondered if it really mattered.

Is it really that dangerous for people to think Australia is a racist country, whether or not it's true? I very much doubt it's going to lead to more Australians getting bashed up overseas. You may encounter people who say some unflattering and unhelpful comments to you like, "you're a bigotted, racist Australian," but nothing that would put your life in immediate danger.

The more important thing, however, is whether negative perceptions of Australia are really a danger to this country. If people think Australia is racist, they might think twice before coming here. That would be a good thing for our politicians, who want to limit the number of people coming here.

Telling people this is a great country would leave many people disappointed if instead of friendly, welcoming people they get insults and abuse. If we tell them it's such a horrible place to live in, then yay, we'd get to keep this wonderful land to ourselves and not share it. Spreading negative propaganda is a great way to protect this country from invasion. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Why does everybody keep saying we are racist when we are not even a race?..do you mean the australian aboriginals when you say australian?..because if you are talking about the whities then surely we have to be some sort of a race to be racist?

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:28pm

brumbie wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:17pm:
Why does everybody keep saying we are racist when we are not even a race?..do you mean the australian aboriginals when you say australian?..because if you are talking about the whities then surely we have to be some sort of a race to be racist?

You're right. We are not a race. But the outsiders obviously think differently. What are we to do about that? Beat them into submission? Nah. We can't do anything and it's relatively harmless anyway. It's just a bit of embarrassment. That's all.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:10am

... wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 5:38pm:

Do not be so racist.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:16am

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:10am:
... wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 5:38pm:

Do not be so racist.

Pakistani isn't a race - you're just muslims from west India.  I got nothing against curries.

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:34pm

Unfortunately, I already join the country. So racist is unacceptable. The people like me have to against racist like you when we look Australia as our new home.

Mnemonic wrote on Jul 15th, 2012 at 8:43pm:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print