Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alpha mine furphie (Read 833 times)
Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Alpha mine furphie
Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:26pm

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/mine-threat-to-barrier-reef-pm-2...

GINA Rinehart's $6.4 billion Alpha coal mine faces delays after becoming caught in a ''green-tape'' battle between the federal and Queensland governments over the protection of the Great Barrier Reef.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard wrote to Queensland Premier Campbell Newman last night expressing ''deep concern and disappointment'' about his state's environmental assessment of the proposed mega-mine and its associated rail line, which the federal government has branded flawed.

The stoush appears to raise doubts about planned reforms aimed at streamlining environmental approval of projects by shifting more responsibility to state governments.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Ms Gillard wrote that the assessment by the Queensland Coordinator-General - provided to the Commonwealth for final approval - contained ''unacceptable'' deficiencies that could put the reef in jeopardy.

''I am surprised at the inadequacy of Queensland's assessment of this project,'' she wrote.

Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke declared he was ''stopping the clock'' on environmental approval of the Galilee Basin project because of the state's ''shambolic'' effort.

Mr Newman hit back, demanding Ms Gillard pull her ''rogue'' minister into line and accusing Mr Burke of ''playing for Green votes in Sydney and Melbourne''.

The stand-off followed the weekend release of a United Nations report that expressed ''great concern'' at the ''unprecedented scale of coastal development'' proposed to service Queensland's coal boom.

Ms Gillard took issue with Queensland's claim that no green turtles, dugongs and dolphins would be affected.

These species lived in waters likely to be affected by run-off from earthworks and a railway loop that terminates 495 kilometres of new train track delivering coal to the port at Abbot Point, ''including sediments and nutrients flowing into the Great Barrier Reef''.

The federal government will now deal directly with Hancock Coal, the owner of the proposed mine, to finish the environmental assessment.

Queensland Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney last night released a letter from Coordinator-General Barry Broe rejecting the Commonwealth's complaints. He said his work was sufficient for Mr Burke to make a decision.

He wrote that the federal government had ''not provided any evidence or facts to support their assertions that the expert advice is not valid''.

Several matters raised by Mr Burke's department were ''simply differences of opinion''. The effects of the railway loop construction on sea life had been ''addressed adequately'' in Hancock Coal's environmental impact statement.

Greens environment spokeswoman Larissa Waters said the stoush showed the danger of the federal government devolving power to the states on environmental approvals.

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Re: Alpha mine furphie
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:27pm

The Alpha Mine process have been going on for years - under the Labor government.

Newman has only been in the chair for a few months and now he's totally blamed for this?

Bourke and Gillard seems to be sooooo desperate that they will try to find or manufacture dirty to get the attention off their incompetence

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:29pm

As you've said many times..its the fault of whoever is in govt.
Newman can wear it

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:30pm

I say trash the reef..Gina is way more important  Grin

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:31pm

adelcrow wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:29pm:
Newman can wear it

Laborites don't know better - but Gillard and Bourke should know better yet they are willing to exploit your stupidity for their gains

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:34pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:31pm:
Newman can wear it

Laborites don't know better - but Gillard and Bourke should know better yet they are willing to exploit your stupidity for their gains

We dont need the Reef its delicate ecosystems or the tourist dollars it brings in..Gina is way more important

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:58pm

Gillard has made a fool of herself.  Trying to make a fight where there isnt one.

"Mr Newman has told ABC Local Radio that he would be happy for the Commonwealth to take over the approval process if necessary.

"I don't care particularly how it's done, he [Tony Burke] can actually approve the project as far as I'm concerned, but approve it he must, subject to conditions," Mr Newman said.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:59pm

Verge wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:58pm:
Gillard has made a fool of herself.  Trying to make a fight where there isnt one.

"Mr Newman has told ABC Local Radio that he would be happy for the Commonwealth to take over the approval process if necessary.

"I don't care particularly how it's done, he [Tony Burke] can actually approve the project as far as I'm concerned, but approve it he must, subject to conditions," Mr Newman said.

"Must approve it"..I think not

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:14pm

adelcrow wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:59pm:

Gillard approved the 1,700 EMA for this already  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:15pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:14pm:

Gillard approved the 1,700 EMA for this already  Grin Grin Grin

So whats your problem?

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:17pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:27pm:
The Alpha Mine process have been going on for years - under the Labor government.

Newman has only been in the chair for a few months and now he's totally blamed for this?

Bourke and Gillard seems to be sooooo desperate that they will try to find or manufacture dirty to get the attention off their incompetence

So are you saying it is the OPPOSITIONS fault? Who is governing Queensland anyway? Sounds like Newman needs to stop telling us how good he is and actually start showing us.

"When our military goes to war it should be for purposes and objectives clearly in Australia’s interests, not merely because the Americans want some company" - Malcolm Fraser (2012 Whitlam Oration)

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:19pm

Gist wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:17pm:

So are you saying it is the OPPOSITIONS fault? Who is governing Queensland anyway? Sounds like Newman needs to stop telling us how good he is and actually start showing us.

It just is

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:19pm

They have already approved the workers for it.  Its going to happen, Tony Bourke is just trying to get in a dick swinging contest.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:21pm

Gist wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:17pm:

Newman has been showing leadership through this.  He isnt the one taking to the airways to make his position known, and has merely been the responder to it.

Bourke is just trying to belittle them to take the heat off the ALP for approving the workers.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:13pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:31pm:
Newman can wear it

you forget macca

DESPERATE TIMES means DESPERATE ACTIONS>.. or in the case of gillard

DESPERATE WORDS..

very little action...but thats okay after 5 years.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print