Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Abbott Undermining The Economy (Read 584 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Is Abbott Undermining The Economy
Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:25am

Carbon tax fears are curtailing growth

UNCERTAINTY is prompting people to "keep their money in their wallets", Treasurer Jack Snelling has told business leaders.

Mr Snelling says there is uncertainty over the nation's leadership and a lack of understanding about how the carbon tax will affect household budgets.

While quick to state his Government's support for a price on carbon, Mr Snelling told a Committee for Economic Development of Australia breakfast in Adelaide yesterday any reform of that scale "creates uncertainty".

"Australian households, they don't know what it's really going to mean for them, they don't know what it's going to mean for their utility bills, they don't know what it's going to mean for their household budgets," Mr Snelling said.

"So with all that uncertainty, of course, again, they're not going to go out and commit to a large financial transaction."

Mr Snelling also named "federal political uncertainty" as a factor holding back spending, adding: "Any retailer will tell you that when a federal election is called, people keep their money in their wallets, they don't go out and spend. We have essentially been in federal political election mode for the past 18 months with the hung parliament."

Business SA chief Peter Vaughan believed the full impact of the carbon tax "remains to be seen".

He said: "The only certainty ... is that prices are going to go up and business competitiveness will take a major hit."

Restaurant and Catering SA chief executive Sally Neville said the carbon tax was a "real question mark" for business and consumers.

"They don't know what everything's going to cost after July, quite frankly," she said. "That will only become clear as we move through the second half of the year."

Opposition treasury spokesman Iain Evans said Mr Snelling's comments showed the practical impact of the carbon tax had not been explained well enough by the Commonwealth.

"What he's really saying is that he is suffering because the public don't understand their federal counterpart's policies," he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/carbon-tax-fears-are-curtailing-growth/story-...

Figure 1:  Approximate costs of climate action (green) and inaction (red) in 2100 and 2200. Sources: German Institute for Economic Research and Watkiss et al. 2005

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:31am by ____ »  

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Re: Is Abbott Undermining The Economy
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:31am

The Greens & The ALP are doing much worse...they are committing conspiracy against the constitution of Australia and showing flagrant contempt for the will of the people.  The relevant legal authorities need to act now.

I condemn Male Violence Against Women
The Government Supports Gynocide
There Is Something Dreadfully Wrong With Men

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:56am

Haha Abbott is attempting to undermine anything and everything he can.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:04am

Clearly Greg Combet needs to be investigated for his comments yesterday to determine if there has been a crime committed against the people of Australia and if he is a fit and proper person to sit in the parliament.

I condemn Male Violence Against Women
The Government Supports Gynocide
There Is Something Dreadfully Wrong With Men

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:13am

Interesting how Abbott is supposedly dragging the economy down, I didnt realise he had more power than the 70 odd ALP members talking it up.

Powerful man that OPPOSITION leader Tony.

Or maybe the fact Europe is on the brink of collapse and the ASX has tumbled in the last month has a LOT MORE to do with it.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:13am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:56am:

SOB

Article doesn’t even mention Abbott. Did you read it? I thought you didn’t trust the media?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:35am

FriYAY wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:13am:

SOB

Article doesn’t even mention Abbott. Did you read it? I thought you didn’t trust the media?

I doubt you are that stupid so you are pretending. the article is about abbotts fear campaign on the carbon tax. You have been picking @ me in several threads now.This is the first time that you have even been anywhere near the topic with it. Got a headache maybe? Take a bex.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:50am

Another F#(king moron post from the resident moron

The research was published in 2005 and chances are data used was well before that date.

It does not take into account the fact that Australia emits 1.3% of the World's total human carbon emissions

And yet we allow this sort of research linked to the LIBs but ignore the 63% that rejects the carbon tax. And the 57% that wants the carbon tax repealed.

Even as a leftie you could see the absurdity in Green's post!!!!!

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:14pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:35am:
FriYAY wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:13am:

SOB

I doubt you are that stupid so you are pretending. the article is about abbotts fear campaign on the carbon tax. You have been picking @ me in several threads now.This is the first time that you have even been anywhere near the topic with it. Got a headache maybe? Take a bex.

SOB

Mr Snelling says there is uncertainty over the nation's leadership and a lack of understanding about how the carbon tax will affect household budgets.
>
>
any reform of that scale "creates uncertainty".
>
>
"Australian households, they don't know what it's really going to mean for them, they don't know what it's going to mean for their utility bills, they don't know what it's going to mean for their household budgets," Mr Snelling said.
>
>
"federal political uncertainty" as a factor holding back spending,
>
>
Business SA chief Peter Vaughan believed the full impact of the carbon tax "remains to be seen".

He said: "The only certainty ... is that prices are going to go up and business competitiveness will take a major hit."
>
>
Restaurant and Catering SA chief executive Sally Neville said the carbon tax was a "real question mark" for business and consumers.

>>>>>

All understandable.

And all opinions can be reached with out one comment from Abbott.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:16pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:50am:

The research was published in 2005 and chances are data used was well before that date.

It does not take into account the fact that Australia emits 1.3% of the World's total human carbon emissions

And yet we allow this sort of research linked to the LIBs but ignore the 63% that rejects the carbon tax. And the 57% that wants the carbon tax repealed.

And Abbotts solution of throwing billions of taxpayer dollars at the biggest polluters will cost nothing?
Is the money coming from Abbotts magic pudding?
Pull the other one..it plays jingle bells.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:58pm

so it has finally twigged to Snelling that we are 'in election mode'??? that ALWAYS happens with unstable minority govts. And that is because we are only one death/resignation/cross the floor away from an election. No surprise here.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:01pm

adelcrow wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:16pm:
Maqqa wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:50am:

And Abbotts solution of throwing billions of taxpayer dollars at the biggest polluters will cost nothing?
Is the money coming from Abbotts magic pudding?
Pull the other one..it plays jingle bells.

Biggest polluters of the 5% reduction of the 1.3%?

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print