Send Topic Print
Freedom of Speech (Read 1209 times)
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Freedom of Speech
May 31st, 2012 at 10:44am

So most here seem to think free speech means you are free to speak your mind as long as its a socially acceptable opinion. Or @ least an opinion that the listener likes.

Quote:
Freedom of speech is the political right to communicate one's opinions and ideas via speech. The term freedom of expression is sometimes used synonymously, but includes any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, as with libel, slander, obscenity and incitement to commit a crime.

First paragraph out of wikipedia. I am not a supporter of free expression so much because that can be destructive but free speech doesnt hurt anyone.

SOB
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2012 at 10:56am by Sir Spot of Borg »  

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Freedom of Speech
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:46am

Poll

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:53am

Freedom is not free.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:56am

Well ppl seem to want to discuss it in other threads. Seem to be silent now though.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2012 at 11:07am

I don't think that "freedom of speech" exists in any country.

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2012 at 11:08am

falah wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 11:07am:
I don't think that "freedom of speech" exists in any country.

Nope. However (for now) it exists in some places on the internet. This is why ACTA etc are being brought in.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2012 at 2:52pm

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2012 at 3:21pm

The pertinent point…..

“the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, as with libel, slander, obscenity and incitement to commit a crime”

You CAN NOT say what eve you want.

You have shown incredible obstinacy in the face of fact, kudos.

Wink

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #8 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:07pm

I never said it was absolute in any country.

On the other hand there are places where you can have your own opinion without being "gagged" online and even in the real world (domain in sydney for 1 place).

There is no reason certain opinions should be banned from any forum online or even in real life. Everyone should have the right to say what they think.

Obviously I comply buy the rules here and dont swear but the "judgmental" rules are too obscure to grasp. PP got banned for being "anti-semite" according to some. Was that the actual reason? If so why is that punishable by banning and not saying the same thing about muslims?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:13pm

The cure for people who believe in absolute free speech is to put them in charge of something for a while, preferably a group of people.

I can give you an example from another discussion board I frequent.
There was this member who was a full-blown anarchist (or so he was forever claiming). He was forever slandering and disrupting threads everywhere. He was eventually banned for this very reason. In an act of defiance he decided to create his own forum. What then happened was some of the aggrieved members he trolled on the previous discussion board decided to join up to his new forum and do to that forum what he did to the previous forum. In the end this self-confessed 'anarchist' ended up censoring and banning those disruptive members because his forum couldn't operate or attract new members under the 'anything goes' rules.

This is also applicable to other areas. Imagine having to run a business with an employee content on abusing customers and fellow employees all day. The business just couldn't operate.

Most anarchists have never been in a position of power or responsibility so they've never had to actually deal with the practicalities of everyday life.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:28pm

you are obviously calling me an anarchist. I said in the Op that i am not so keen on freedom of expression just speech.

Also I run a forum. It has been going for about 10 years. I also have several chatrooms and some are free speech and some are not (gotta comply to some restrictions when theres kids around). Before the internet I ran a BBS so I have been around a while. Obviously your analogy is flawed. Try coming up with an argument instead of trying to analyse and insult me somehow - its not working.

I do not kick ppl out of the forum for having objectionable opinions. Ppl are free to say what they like. We do have an area to put whining though.

Tell me. Where does it stop? If one opinion is banned then another then another sooner or later we wont be able to say anything. How would you like to not be able to say bad stuff about gillard because ppl objected to hearing your opinion? We need differing opinions to keep a board running anyway.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:28pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 4:07pm:
I never said it was absolute in any country.

SOB

Correct, you said....

"Ever heard of free speech? Free speech is where everyone is allowed to speak their mind no matter if others disagree"

Which even your OP...

"In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, as with libel, slander, obscenity and incitement to commit a crime"

Disagrees with.

Freedom of speech has limitations.

Get over it.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:37pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 4:13pm:
The cure for people who believe in absolute free speech is to put them in charge of something for a while, preferably a group of people.

I can give you an example from another discussion board I frequent.
There was this member who was a full-blown anarchist (or so he was forever claiming). He was forever slandering and disrupting threads everywhere. He was eventually banned for this very reason. In an act of defiance he decided to create his own forum. What then happened was some of the aggrieved members he trolled on the previous discussion board decided to join up to his new forum and do to that forum what he did to the previous forum. In the end this self-confessed 'anarchist' ended up censoring and banning those disruptive members because his forum couldn't operate or attract new members under the 'anything goes' rules.

Ha! Good example.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:37pm

Quote:
Disagrees with.

Freedom of speech has limitations.

Get over it.

you obviously have selective eyesight. Thats about 3 times now you have just skipped over the bits where I say that there is still free speech on the internet.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:41pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 4:28pm:
you are obviously calling me an anarchist. I said in the Op that i am not so keen on freedom of expression just speech.

Also I run a forum. It has been going for about 10 years. I also have several chatrooms and some are free speech and some are not (gotta comply to some restrictions when theres kids around). Before the internet I ran a BBS so I have been around a while. Obviously your analogy is flawed. Try coming up with an argument instead of trying to analyse and insult me somehow - its not working.

I do not kick ppl out of the forum for having objectionable opinions. Ppl are free to say what they like. We do have an area to put whining though.

Tell me. Where does it stop? If one opinion is banned then another then another sooner or later we wont be able to say anything. How would you like to not be able to say bad stuff about gillard because ppl objected to hearing your opinion? We need differing opinions to keep a board running anyway.

SOB

You're obviously a highly insecure and sensitive individual. I wasn't singling you out, I merely brought forth an example where absolute freedom of speech cannot work.

If I had more time on my hands and was a more childish person, I'd join your forums and pollute it and disrupt it with the most vulgar insults possible. I'd insult every member and attempt to drive all current and potential members away. You'll then realize that some 'opinions' aren't worth having around.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print