Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How does Whinefart bring in 1700 foreign workers ? (Read 1259 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

How does Whinefart bring in 1700 foreign workers ?
May 26th, 2012 at 11:22am

Has Labor lost the plot or what !!

Isn't there anyone in Australia suitable for the job ?

What are all of these skilled migrants that we have been bringing in over the years qualified to do and now we need another 1700 that we supposedly don't already have !!

This must be noddy land Sad

Quote:
Prime Minister Julia Gillard was not consulted on the decision to bring more than 1,700 foreign workers to work on a major mine project in Western Australia.

The workers have been granted visas under the first Enterprise Migration Agreement to work at Gina Rinehart's $9 billion Roy Hill iron ore project.

Immigration minister Chris Bowen signed off on the deal but Ms Gillard was not informed about it until Wednesday after her return from the United States.

But Labor MP Nick Champion has told ABC News 24's Weekend Breakfast the Enterprise Migration Agreement (EMA) was discussed by cabinet and caucus last year.

"This process went through cabinet, it went through cabinet and caucus last year in actual fact," he said.

"It's fair to say most of the caucus want Australians to be trained up and skilled first but we have to accept that with these massive projects we just simply won't undertake them without both foreign capital and foreign labour."

Mr Champion says it is in the national interest to develop the projects with foreign workers.

"Sure, there's up to 1,700 foreign workers coming in under this agreement. But 6,000 Australian jobs will be created because of it. So, you know, we do have to be careful to see the whole picture here."

Skills Minister Chris Evans says the deal is a necessary step to manage the workforce.

"There'll be thousands and thousand of jobs available in Australia," he said.

"First preference will go to Australians, who want to work in these projects, that are often in very remote areas, but the EMA is part of managing that massive investment pipeline and peak construction activity."

He told ABC Radio's AM the move is a sensible economic solution.

"Tens of thousands of Australians will get job opportunities in construction of these projects in the next few years," he said.

"But we will need overseas labour to supplement that and it's better that it comes in temporarily than permanently because those jobs will be part of a peak activity, which won't last and the temporary top-up of foreign labour is the sensible economic solution."

'Gobsmacked'

But the Government is facing an angry backlash from unions and within its own ranks over the move.

Labor backbencher Doug Cameron says he is gobsmacked and bemused by the decision, and does not believe Labor's caucus will be comfortable with it either.

"I'm gobsmacked. In the week where Australian workers are being marched off the job in Kurri Kurri and Tullamarine that we're marching Chinese workers onto Roy Hill. It just defies logic to me," he said.

Outspoken MP Bob Katter also faulted the Government's move, branding it a ludicrous decision which erodes confidence in the national economy.

"These people are so lacking in patriotism and so committed to looking after the interests of corporations that invariably are foreign owned or foreign financed, that they have agreed to fly in people from overseas," Mr Katter said.

"They will undermine our awards and they will take your jobs, and I don't just mean in mining - it'll spread beyond that.

"The Australian people will not stand for this."

When the only backers of Bowen's foreign workers decision are Clive & Gina it's clear it's a bad call - even Twiggy is opposed.

Australian Workers Union national secretary Paul Howes, via Twitter
The AMWU says the move sets a dangerous precedent and is a slap in the face for the domestic workforce.

"The respect we believe all employees should have for Australian workers I think is going out the window," union secretary Andrew Dettmer said.

"What we will be seeing is employers like Gina Rinehart and others, Clive Palmer, BHP, trying to import more compliant and complacent work forces, ones who don't have a commitment to the local economy, who don't have a commitment to the local community, and of course are only coming here for the dollar.

The CMFEU's national secretary Dave Noonan says the announcement has been mired in "spin and nonsense", and claims there are plenty of avenues for Ms Rinehart to hire overseas workers in specific roles without offering local workers the jobs first.

He says his union has been flooded with calls, emails and texts from concerned members, and it represents a "sell-out" of Australian jobs.

"The project would create many more jobs for Australian workers if Australians were given the opportunity to apply for them first.

"Australia's migration policy has been handed over holus-bolus to Gina Rinehart."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-26/gillard-not-consulted-on-move-to-import-wo...
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2012 at 1:49pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: How does Winefart bring in 1700 foreign workers ?
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2012 at 11:33am

Jobs for Aussies not foreign workers.

Shame on labor!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2012 at 11:38am

Labior must have formed the policy from Winefarts poem Cheesy LOL

Quote:
Our Future

The globe is sadly groaning with debt, poverty and strife
And billions now are pleading to enjoy a better life
Their hope lies with resources buried deep within the earth
And the enterprise and capital which give each project worth
Is our future threatened with massive debts run up by political hacks
Who dig themselves out by unleashing rampant tax
The end result is sending Australian investment, growth and jobs offshore
This type of direction is harmful to our core
Some envious unthinking people have been conned
To think prosperity is created by waving a magic wand
Through such unfortunate ignorance, too much abuse is hurled
Against miners, workers and related industries who strive to build the world
Develop North Australia, embrace multiculturalism and welcome short term foreign workers to our shores
To benefit from the export of our minerals and ores
The world's poor need our resources: do not leave them to their fate
Our nation needs special economic zones and wiser government, before it is too late.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/02/15/3431797.htm

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2012 at 11:44am

I've got one thing to say.

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE

Gina owns Julia.

Next step Australia.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

glee

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2012 at 11:47am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 11:44am:

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE

Gina owns Julia.

Next step Australia.

Sad, isn't it!  I was just telling my mum the story of a friend of mine who has just packed up and moved to WA for a job interview in the mines.  No guarantee of work - just the interview.  Now if she is willing to do that I am certain there are 1700 more like her around the country.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2012 at 12:49pm

glee wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 11:47am:

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE

Gina owns Julia.

Next step Australia.

Sad, isn't it!  I was just telling my mum the story of a friend of mine who has just packed up and moved to WA for a job interview in the mines.  No guarantee of work - just the interview.  Now if she is willing to do that I am certain there are 1700 more like her around the country.

yep and I bet your friend will be sidelined in favour of the foreign workers Sad Not only that if your friend did get a job she would have to pay ripoff rents just to live there Sad

these are the future job prospects for the youth Sad

Like I said this must be noddy land !!

IP Logged

glee

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2012 at 12:57pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 12:49pm:

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE

Gina owns Julia.

Next step Australia.

yep and I bet your friend will be sidelined in favour of the foreign workers Sad Not only that if your friend did get a job she would have to pay ripoff rents just to live there Sad

I  know you are most probably right, but for her sake I hope you are wrong.  I'll let you know how she goes.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2012 at 1:01pm

glee wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 12:57pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 12:49pm:

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE

Gina owns Julia.

Next step Australia.

I  know you are most probably right, but for her sake I hope you are wrong.  I'll let you know how she goes.

her only saving grace is this bit of spin from the pollies

Quote:
"Sure, there's up to 1,700 foreign workers coming in under this agreement. But 6,000 Australian jobs will be created because of it. So, you know, we do have to be careful to see the whole picture here."

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2012 at 1:11pm

The 6,000 Aussie jobs created is a con. They always feed us this crap, 10,000, 120,000, 250,000 jobs created. What a con.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Re: How does Whinefart bring in 1700 foreign workers ?
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2012 at 4:32pm

its racist to oppose immigration and foreign workers.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2012 at 4:50pm

JC Denton wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 4:32pm:

No it's not.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2012 at 6:37pm

and it's racist to ignore workers here Sad

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - May 26th, 2012 at 6:48pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 6:37pm:

Hi Nail,
we're a soft touch for foreigners here.
They take our jobs & we give them $5,000 for every baby they pop out.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2012 at 7:17pm

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 6:48pm:

Hi Nail,

and we allowed them to buy up and land bank properties here whilst jacking up the prices Sad and whose hair brain idea was that ?

try and do that in china or japan !! lets see who are the racists then !!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2012 at 7:24pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 7:17pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 6:48pm:

Hi Nail,

and we allowed them to buy up and land bank properties here whilst jacking up the prices Sad and whose hair brain idea was that ?

try and do that in china or japan !! lets see who are the racists then !!

Hear hear Nail,
the government is allowing China to buy all our land!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print