Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Banks Need To Be Pulled Into Line. (Read 1165 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Banks Need To Be Pulled Into Line.
May 23rd, 2012 at 8:54am

Banks 'need to be pulled into line'
May 23, 2012

THE head of one of the nation's biggest unions believes Australian banks should be forced to mirror the movements of Reserve Bank interest rates when setting their own lending rates.   Huh

Paul Howes, national secretary of the Australian Workers' Union, said the nation's banks were operating like ''a de facto cartel'', gouging customers. His comments came as National Australia Bank chief executive Cameron Clyne gave up the argument that overseas costs were what made the banks not pass on all of the rate cuts handed out by the Reserve Bank. ''What is happening in Europe is not having an impact on our cost of funding,'' he said. He pointed instead to the competition to attract deposits by offering the best rates.

Speaking at the National Press Club yesterday, Mr Howes said it was time for an ''active'' Commonwealth government to ''pull the financial services sector back into line''.

He asked why banks felt they could brazenly ignore Reserve Bank rate cuts when they were simultaneously reliant on the federal government to licence them. The Reserve Bank cut the official cash rate by 50 basis points this month, but retail banks on average passed on 37 basis points of the reduction to customers.

''That the banks have declared their independence from the Reserve Bank of Australia, and said effectively that we will ignore [those] policy settings … means the current system isn't working,'' Mr Howes said.

Mr Howes said it was time the government put an end to ''the protection racket that allows banks to record massive profits while sacking staff and gouging consumers''.    Sad

Banks last night questioned whether Mr Howes' comments were intended to distract from other issues surrounding the union movement.

Commenter
        Hawker
        May 23, 2012, 8:05AM

I agree. Banks provide an essential service to our economy with fractional reserve lending and fund creation. However, they are playing us all for fools with this continual line of "if you DON'T LET US DO WHATEVER WE WANT WE WILL GO BANKRUPT AND AUSTRALIA WILL CRASH AND BURN, I SAYS, BURN AND BE CONDEMNED TO FUNCTION LIKE A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY!!!!1111"    Sad

Banks function just fine overseas without gouging their customers for the sake of their shareholders. A government that steps up regulation to protect customers and staff just encourages innovation: the banks will have to find new, creative ways of making profit that don't treat customers and staff like annoying barriers to profit or cash cows.   Sad

Don't buy into all that fear crap.

Commenter
        Asynca
        May 23, 2012, 8:19AM

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/banks-need-to-be-pulled-into-line-20120522-1z394.html#ixzz1vdpZX5mf

IP Logged

angeleyes
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Banks Need To Be Pulled Into Line.
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:03am

Paul Howes, national secretary of the Australian Workers' Union

Another liar.

Tell me what Howes said about the carbon tax and Aussie jobs imcrookonit

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:07am

You should have watched the press club.   Wink

IP Logged

angeleyes
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:15am

Quote:
You should have watched the press club.   Wink

To see another liar in action? No thanks.

EXACTLY a year ago tomorrow, Australian Workers Union national secretary Paul Howes told The Australian he would pull his union's support for the Gillard government's carbon dioxide tax if it hit Australian workers.
"If one job is gone, our support is gone," Howes warned.

What an empty threat that proved to be.

Howes (pictured) was supported at the time by CFMEU president Tony Maher, who said Howes was correct.
"It shouldn't cost a job and we won't stand by if it costs jobs," Maher said

The Daily Telegraph
•  April 13, 2012 12:00AM

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:20am

I wonder how many jobs have gone due to the carbon tax?.  ( That hasn't started yet. )     Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:37am

Banks have no obligation to get in line, we have given them their power and allowed them to control us.
It is our the peoples obligation to stop them, monitor them and tell them where to go.
A normal society would have already done so.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:38am

bobbythefap1 wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:37am:
Banks have no obligation to get in line, we have given them their power and allowed them to control us.
It is our the peoples obligation to stop them, monitor them and tell them where to go.

Such as?
Name me a country that isnt a dictatorship that has pulled their banks into line.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:41am

The banks are making billions and still cry poor.

Super profits tax seems in order.
Also, tax on incomes over $1mil at 50% sounds appropirate as well.

Sadly, the ALP doesnt have the balls, just empty threats.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2012 at 7:52pm

Quote:
Banks 'need to be pulled into line'
May 23, 2012

THE head of one of the nation's biggest unions believes Australian banks should be forced to mirror the movements of Reserve Bank interest rates when setting their own lending rates.   Huh

Paul Howes, national secretary of the Australian Workers' Union, said the nation's banks were operating like ''a de facto cartel'', gouging customers. His comments came as National Australia Bank chief executive Cameron Clyne gave up the argument that overseas costs were what made the banks not pass on all of the rate cuts handed out by the Reserve Bank. ''What is happening in Europe is not having an impact on our cost of funding,'' he said. He pointed instead to the competition to attract deposits by offering the best rates.

Speaking at the National Press Club yesterday, Mr Howes said it was time for an ''active'' Commonwealth government to ''pull the financial services sector back into line''.

He asked why banks felt they could brazenly ignore Reserve Bank rate cuts when they were simultaneously reliant on the federal government to licence them. The Reserve Bank cut the official cash rate by 50 basis points this month, but retail banks on average passed on 37 basis points of the reduction to customers.

''That the banks have declared their independence from the Reserve Bank of Australia, and said effectively that we will ignore [those] policy settings … means the current system isn't working,'' Mr Howes said.

Mr Howes said it was time the government put an end to ''the protection racket that allows banks to record massive profits while sacking staff and gouging consumers''.    Sad

Banks last night questioned whether Mr Howes' comments were intended to distract from other issues surrounding the union movement.

Commenter
        Hawker
        May 23, 2012, 8:05AM

I agree. Banks provide an essential service to our economy with fractional reserve lending and fund creation. However, they are playing us all for fools with this continual line of "if you DON'T LET US DO WHATEVER WE WANT WE WILL GO BANKRUPT AND AUSTRALIA WILL CRASH AND BURN, I SAYS, BURN AND BE CONDEMNED TO FUNCTION LIKE A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY!!!!1111"    Sad

Banks function just fine overseas without gouging their customers for the sake of their shareholders. A government that steps up regulation to protect customers and staff just encourages innovation: the banks will have to find new, creative ways of making profit that don't treat customers and staff like annoying barriers to profit or cash cows.   Sad

Don't buy into all that fear crap.

Commenter
        Asynca
        May 23, 2012, 8:19AM

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/banks-need-to-be-pulled-into-line-20120522-1z394.html#ixzz1vdpZX5mf

BANKS RUN ECONOMIES SO THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE!!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:01pm

There is no need to force the banks. Just shop around.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:38pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:01pm:

What about the new 5th pillar?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/bankers-beware-fifth-pillar-on-its-way-20101201-1...

Quote:
WAYNE SWAN is poised to unveil controversial measures to create a fifth pillar of the banking system using the muscle of the $73 billion credit union and building society industry.

It is a move that would create a new force in banking and put downward pressure on home lending rates.

The Treasurer's plan would address rising pressure on the government to rein in the big four banks following their super-sized interest rate increases last month.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/bankers-beware-fifth-pillar-on-its-way-20101201-18gp2.html#ixzz1vgxvY1X3

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #11 - May 24th, 2012 at 10:58am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:38am:

Such as?
Name me a country that isnt a dictatorship that has pulled their banks into line.

HOW ABOUT YOU DONT ACT LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO AND ACTUALLY RESPOND TO THE BULK OF MY POST NOT JUST ONE TINY PART OF IT.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - May 24th, 2012 at 11:11am

Bobby. wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:38pm:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/bankers-beware-fifth-pillar-on-its-way-20101201-1...

Quote:
WAYNE SWAN is poised to unveil controversial measures to create a fifth pillar of the banking system using the muscle of the $73 billion credit union and building society industry.

It is a move that would create a new force in banking and put downward pressure on home lending rates.

The Treasurer's plan would address rising pressure on the government to rein in the big four banks following their super-sized interest rate increases last month.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/bankers-beware-fifth-pillar-on-its-way-20101201-18gp2.html#ixzz1vgxvY1X3

Bump to FD

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #13 - May 24th, 2012 at 11:19am

Bobby. wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:38pm:

Quote:

Interesting, seems like a good temporary solution.
I have always recommended credit unions, and people are never disappointed
But there is no doubt that if this group gains as much power and monopoly as the big 4 it will be corrupt, if it isnt from the start.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2012 at 3:57pm

bobbythefap1 wrote on May 24th, 2012 at 10:58am:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:38am:

Such as?

HOW ABOUT YOU DONT ACT LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO AND ACTUALLY RESPOND TO THE BULK OF MY POST NOT JUST ONE TINY PART OF IT.

DRAH has still got its capitals on…… Roll Eyes Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print