Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
UK Papers Fake Muslim Stories (Read 12120 times)
falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

UK Papers Fake Muslim Stories
Feb 8th, 2012 at 6:01am

British papers spread anti-Muslim propaganda

He also noted that statistics about immigrants in the country were being changed to present a negative picture of them.

A former Daily Star journalist has repeated accusations that a number of British daily newspapers put pressure on journalists to fabricate anti-Muslim stories.

Richard Peppiatt, who worked as a full-time freelance journalist at the Daily Star for two years, claimed that editors forced journalists to fabricate news that suggested Muslims and immigrants were threatening national security.

He said the fabricated stories were mainly related to Muslims, depicting them as a threat to British society. The defamatory stories became more widespread after the bombings in London on June 7, 2005 -- often referred to as 7/7 -- and the Sept. 11, 2001 attack on the United States.

“Especially since 7/7 and, to a degree, since 9/11, Muslims have certainly been painted as the ‘cartoon baddy.' Definitely in the tabloids. Someone always has to be blamed, you can't just leave it up in the air when something happens; somebody always needs to take the blame. Sadly it's the Muslims that have been chosen to be portrayed as the ‘baddies',” he told Cihan in a phone interview.

Peppiatt noted that it was not possible for Muslims to take action against the publication of derogatory articles because it is only possible for an individual who has been mentioned by name to make a complaint to the Press Complaints Commission (PCC), the regulatory body for UK magazines and newspapers. However, if a group or a religion is targeted it is difficult to file a complaint.

“It was therefore challenging for Muslims to complain as there was no one individual being affected by the articles. However, it clearly does affect individuals as it affects the way people behave towards each other in society. I certainly came to understand that what we print in the media has a direct effect on the lives of individuals; this can lead to violence on the streets, based on what we write,” Peppiatt told Cihan.

He also noted that statistics about immigrants in the country were being changed to present a negative picture of them.

“[There was fabrication in the Daily Star] regarding the number of jobs immigrants are taking and the numbers arriving in Britain. It is in stories about that where the statistics were de-contextualized and sensationalized to make the scenario look much worse than it actually it is.

They will mention how many come and not how many have left. There have been cases in which there has been a net drop in immigration figures, but that was never mentioned as it did not fit the narrative of painting immigrants in a bad light. There was no fair perspective and no consideration that immigrants are trying to get a better life. This was done on purpose, as the editors wanted to present a negative perspective on immigration,” he said.

Peppiatt made his first confessions on the issue last November when he spoke to the Leveson Inquiry, chaired by Lord Justice Leveson at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, which is currently looking at the culture, practices and ethics of the British press in general. The inquiry was launched following the News International phone hacking scandal.

“…This naturally led to fabrication in order to fulfill an unrealistic quota. Much more insidious was when this same philosophy was applied to stories involving Muslims and immigrants, when yet again a top down pressure to unearth stories which fitted within a certain narrative (immigrants are taking over, Muslims are a threat to security) led to casual and systemic distortions. In short, ethical concerns were always subservient to financial ones,” Peppiatt told the Leveson Inquiry.

Regarding the reasons why he made the confessions, Peppiatt told Cihan that for a long time he had not been happy about the stories he was asked to write. “The only way to combat what the sensationalists were writing was to be sensationalist myself, to embarrass them publically. Leaving quietly would not have made a difference. It was a gamble that may have embarrassed them into changing their behavior a little bit,” he added.

http://www.worldbulletin.net/?aType=haber&ArticleID=85428

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Re: UK Papers Fake Muslim Stories
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 6:17am

More lies from other newspapers

A cross in the Coptic Church in Cairo’s Zabaleen neighborhood, where Copts work as the capital’s unofficial garbage collectors. (NOW Lebanon)

“We don’t feel as safe as before,” said Georges Nader, an Egyptian Copt who lives in Cairo. A year after the revolution that led to the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, Nader said that the number of Egyptians Copts fleeing the country was on the rise.

“Half of my family is in Canada or the US, and they are trying to get us out of the country too. We are just waiting for the right opportunity,” the 25-year-old told NOW Lebanon.

Last fall, the Egyptian Coptic Church’s lawyer Naguib Gibrael estimated that some 100,000 Christian families had left the country in the preceding months, and that since Mubarak’s ouster, sectarian strife has escalated in the country.

A little over a year ago, 21 Copts died in an attack on a church in Alexandria, while last spring, another 15 were killed in Imbaba when three Coptic Orthodox churches were burned.

It wasn’t until last October, however, that violence peaked, with a new group behind the hostilities: Egypt’s Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF). The military body, which assumed power in the wake of Mubarak’s fall, responded to a peaceful Coptic demonstration against churches being burned by setting the security services on protesters, resulting in 27 deaths. None of those responsible for the killings have been brought to justice.

Josette Abdullah, a Cairo-based clinical psychologist, said that even though she as a Copt has never experienced threats or discrimination in Egypt, Christians’ current fears are understandable.

“Even with my name, which is clearly not Muslim, I have never encountered any problems, and from my personal experience, in addition to historically speaking, Egypt has shown relatively few signs of sectarian violence,” she said. “But lately, it seems to be about wreaking havoc, and whoever is behind the instigation is willing to create tension between religions or other groups in society.”

Though on paper, Egyptian Christians and Muslims are equal by law, many admit that Copts, who make up approximately 10 percent of the country’s population, are often discriminated against. Between 2008 and 2010, the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR) recorded 52 cases of Coptic-Muslim conflict. Many fear that with the new Islamist majority in parliament, things will only get worse.

“At first, Islamic figures will come across as protectors of their Christian brothers, but that is solely about reeling in support,” said Georges al-Sanady, a 25-year-old engineer from Cairo. Sanady says that after paying lip service to equality, the Islamists in power will try to enforce Sharia law.

“It will not happen overnight, but Christians are not buying this, regardless of their social class,” he said.

Coptic Priest Philopateer Gameel echoed Sanady’s fears.

“Post-revolution, the situation has in fact deteriorated,” he said, pointing to the elections, which he insists were rigged.  According to Gameel, religious rhetoric was used as propaganda during Friday prayers in mosques, as well as in some churches, “which proves the extent to which authorities manipulate and attract voters through religion,” he said.

But at the very least, one positive outcome of the revolution is greater freedom of expression.

“We are voicing concerns now, and have more freedom do so,” said Ra’fat Basta, a political and human rights activist, and a representative of the Shabab Maspero group.

“Both Christians and non-Christians, Islamists, are making themselves heard,” said Gameel.

He added that ultimately, it was not fair to only deem Christians the victims of pre-and post-revolution corruption and state-sanctioned violence, which are problems facing the country as a whole.

“Many moderate Muslims, especially those with significant investments in the country, such as in the tourism industry and free trade, are also fearing harassment in their personal life and work,” he said.

“This is where moderate Muslims and Christians are on par. They all share these same concerns.”

Nadine Elali contributed reporting to this article.

To read more: http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=359158&MID=0&PID=0#ixzz1ljGg5ev2
Only 25% of a given NOW Lebanon article can be republished. For information on republishing rights from NOW Lebanon: http://www.nowlebanon.com/Sub.aspx?ID=125478

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:09am

Adamant,

I don't think you've necessarily posted lies there, but your article doesn't really say anything. Apart from a Coptic man feeling he doesn't like the direction Egypt took after the revolution, the article doesn't really say anything.

Is that all you could find?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:18am

"Josette Abdullah, a Cairo-based clinical psychologist, said that even though she as a Copt has never experienced threats or discrimination in Egypt..."

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:44pm

I was chatting to a friend of mine in Egypt about the situation over there. She's a Coptic journalist. She used to work for BBC Arab Service. I made the comment that now that the elections are over she must feel a lot safer. She had been telling me before about the police brutality and how a friend of hers was torured.

Her reaction was "Nooo - It's terrible here - worse now that ever. The country is in a real mess. Pray for Egypt."

I just hope she keeps safe. I'm not one of these Muslim bashers, so please bear that in mind.

- and I agree that Copts never used to suffer any discrimination.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:07pm

muso wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:44pm:
I was chatting to a friend of mine in Egypt about the situation over there. She's a Coptic journalist. She used to work for BBC Arab Service. I made the comment that now that the elections are over she must feel a lot safer. She had been telling me before about the police brutality and how a friend of hers was torured.

Her reaction was "Nooo - It's terrible here - worse now that ever. The country is in a real mess. Pray for Egypt."

I just hope she keeps safe. I'm not one of these Muslim bashers, so please bear that in mind.

The only time I have experienced religious discrimination in the workplace came not from redneck Aussies, but from an Egyptian Copt.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:45pm by falah »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 6:50pm

falah wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:07pm:

The only time I have experience religious discrimination in the workplace came not from redneck Aussies, but from an Egyptian Copt.

Well she is not a bigot. she has many muslim friends.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:26pm

Falah-

Do you believe everything you read in the newspaper?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:27pm

muso wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 6:50pm:
falah wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:07pm:

The only time I have experience religious discrimination in the workplace came not from redneck Aussies, but from an Egyptian Copt.

Well she is not a bigot. she has many muslim friends.

Falah has stated on another forum that it would be good if the  remaining Coptic Christians of Egypt were forced to pay the jizya tax. "Inshallah" was his term!

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:33pm

Adamant wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:27pm:
Falah has stated on another forum that it would be good if the  remaining Coptic Christians of Egypt were forced to pay the jizya tax. "Inshallah" was his term!

There has been a lot of talk in Egypt about imposing this discriminatory tax on non muslims with most wanting it.

I would say it is similar to paying protection money to the mafia.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:33pm:

There has been a lot of talk in Egypt about imposing this discriminatory tax on non muslims with most wanting it.

The jizya would likely be much less than the income tax most people pay in Australia. In an islamic state, Muslims must pay the alms tax which is 2.5% on most wealth - this is not due on Christians. Christians are also exempted from compulsory military service in the Islamic state. Through the payment of the jizya Christians enjoy the security of the Islamic state without having to do military service. Women, children and the elderly do not pay the jizya.

Historically, one of the reasons that Christians welcomed Islamic government was because the jizya was much lower than taxes they paid under their Christian governments.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:04pm

Quote:
The Sun left its readers in no doubt as to why the outrage had been committed. Local Muslims were waging a vendetta against four British soldiers who hoped to rent the house on their return from serving their country in Afghanistan. The paper quoted an army source saying that: "these guys have done nothing but bravely serve their country – yet they can't even live where they want in their own".

But there was one very big problem with The Sun story. There was no Muslim involvement of any kind. It is true that a house had been vandalised in Montagu Road, part of the comfortable and prosperous Windsor suburb of Datchet – as The Windsor Express had reported the previous day. It also looks very likely that the attack was connected with the potential arrival of four household cavalry officers.

The average house price in Montagu Road is around £600,000 and there is an air of almost rural tranquillity. As far as we could discover, no Muslims lived in the area. To all intents and purposes Montagu Road was a white, gated community. The Sun claim that a "Muslim hate mob" could have arrived unnoticed and committed vandalism without being observed was nothing short of preposterous. Furthermore, the police denied any Muslim connection.

But Islamophobia As this pamphlet will illustrate, it can be encountered in the best circles: among our most famous novelists, among columnists from The Independent and Guardian newspapers, and in the Church of England. Its appeal is wide-ranging. "I am an Islamophobe, and proud of it," writes Guardian columnist Polly Toynbee, then writing for The Independent. "Islamophobia?" The Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle rhetorically asks in the title of a speech, "Count me in." Imagine Liddle declaring: "Anti-Semitism? Count me in", or Toynbee announcing that she was "an anti-semite and proud of it". This just wouldn't happen and for very good reasons. Anti-semitism is recognised as an evil, noxious creed and its adherents barred from mainstream society and respectable organs of opinion. Not so Islamophobia.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/the-shameful-islamophobia-at-the-heart-o...

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:08pm

falah wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:48pm:

The jizzya

What?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:30pm

Roll Eyes

Pay no attention to Soren. He might be in his early 60s, but he's still going through a very long puberty.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:59pm

falah wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:48pm:

The jizya would likely be much less than the income tax most people pay in Australia. In an islamic state, Muslims must pay the alms tax which is 2.5% on most wealth - this is not due on Christians. Christians are also exempted from compulsory military service in the Islamic state. Through the payment of the jizya Christians enjoy the security of the Islamic state without having to do military service. Women, children and the elderly do not pay the jizzya.

Historically, one of the reasons that Christians welcomed Islamic government was because the jizzya was much lower than taxes they paid under their Christian governments.

You are a fantasist and a scheme/planner deceiver.

You are suggesting, implying, insinuating, slyly as always, that Christians paid less tax than Muslims because they didn't have to pay the 2.5 % alms tax. You are a mendacious, dishonest man.

Tell us how much tax a Muslim paid, all told, and how much a non-Muslim.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print