Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Airline Chiefs Comments Are Ridiclous. (Read 724 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

The Airline Chiefs Comments Are Ridiclous.
Feb 7th, 2012 at 5:41am

JETSTAR will be sold or killed off if Senator Nick Xenophon succeeds in his push for strict new workplace laws to be forced on Qantas.   Huh

And the flag carrier could also be pushed to the brink if the proposals become law, executives at Qantas say.

Chief Alan Joyce and his counterpart at subsidiary Jetstar, Bruce Buchanan, each told a Senate committee yesterday that the proposed laws would make the airlines uncompetitive.

Senator Xenophon has proposed that Qantas be forced - under the so-called Qantas Sale Act - to conduct most of its heavy maintenance onshore.

He has also called for rules compelling Jetstar to pay foreign cabin crew local wages when flying between Australian cities, on routes such as Singapore-Darwin-Cairns.

Mr Joyce and Mr Buchanan said the moves would make Qantas and its offshoot uncompetitive, wiping out rather than saving jobs in aviation and tourism.

"Having Jetstar compete against its competitors under restrictions that its competitors do not have, I think, will result in the failure of Jetstar in the long run or we would have to release Jetstar from the coverage of the Qantas Sale Act by selling it," Mr Joyce said.

That would mean dismantling the Qantas Group and put Qantas itself in danger, the airline's chief said.

He said if foreign-based crews had to be paid Australian wages, it would cause the Qantas Group to withdraw connecting services from Europe and Asia into Cairns and Darwin, affecting 66 flights weekly.

Senator Xenophon dismissed the airline chiefs' comments as "ridiculous" when labour rates between Australian cities made up a "miniscule" difference in flight costs.   Wink

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Airline Chiefs Comments Are Ridiclous.
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 5:59am

I think our wages are way out of control..

along with CEO remunerations as well..

we all know that other countries like India and China have much longer working weeks and far far less pay..

how on earth do we compete with that?????

the answer is "we dont!"

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:02am

So then, what is the answer?.  If they want to cut peoples wages, then lets start at the top.   Wink

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 7:03am

I would sell it as well. It would not be as profitable, so why bother with it. They will get a windfall from its sale, as the buyer would not be linked to qantas, so what the new law is trying to do would not apply to them.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 7:49am

cods wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 5:59am:

we all know that other countries like India and China have much longer working weeks and far far less pay..

the answer is "we dont!"

it might susprise you to learn that you are wrong. Australians work harder and longer than most countries (OECD report). indians etc actually work short weeks and are considered lazy. have you ever wondered why a country with a billion people can be so backward? work ethic.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 12:19pm

cods wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 5:59am:

the answer is "we dont!"

Our politicians gave their answer to this very subject when they voted themselves a massive pay rise last year.

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print