Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World (Read 6306 times)
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #30 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 10:01pm
 
Lets hope so., it really should be the Death

Look forward to the back-end of Abbott.  Grin  Can't be long now.

Haven't been trying too hard to follow latest developments.   Unlike most of the serious posters  - I just cannot spend that same time.


Was rather excellent though... Smiley Smiley to see 'Bang Bang' losing face!!!!Hard as he tried not too.!!  Grin

A TOUGH COOKIE OUR PM!!!!


And where are all the whining  haters now? on this Board???
Staying pretty quiet, far as I can see.  Mind you - I might log on for long spans, but I can't spend too much time on this thing...so - if I've missed anything interesting - let  me know  Pls? Maybe there 's a topic of interest re Obama/Gillard/Bang Bang I've missed.
Im a bit mystified  - why is the focus around the Pacific Power all about economics, on this board? What have I missed./?
Economic policy is like politics......... a distraction, a buffer Zone , a riot barrier.

'take care of the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves'.






Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #31 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:09pm
 
gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
Riiiiight...
And of course you can tell us where it was done (the geographic location that receives sunlight for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year), what date or dates it happened, and who deigned and built it.....Can't you????



Of course you can't receive solar energy 24 hours  Grin However, you can store it, and various storage technologies have become routine overseas.

If (it's a big if) we could construct a world-wide HVDC grid, then 24 hour solar would be possible without even bothering about storage.

Now that's not too much of a pipe dream (don't take that wrong Jalane), because there are HVDC transmission lines 2000 km long. The longest so far is 2400km.

The advantage of HVDC is the low transmission losses and relatively low currents involved. (Think Ohms Law) A fairly thin conductor will work ok, but the switching circuits wear out very quickly.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #32 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 7:43pm
 
'If (it's a big if) we could construct a world-wide HVDC grid, then 24 hour solar would be possible without even bothering about storage.

Now that's not too much of a pipe dream (don't take that wrong Jalane), because there are HVDC transmission lines 2000 km long. The longest so far is 2400km. '
- Muso

No probs... Smiley

Since I don't know what HVDC stands for.  Is it  High VoltageDC   ?? as opposed to AC/DC?

Huh

So we just need to develop better switching mechanisms?
Like those converters we use to change between diff volt.?
Shouldn't thing it will take long to solve that... given the exponential increase in tech these days.

But, after all, what do I know.??   SFA really. Smiley
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #33 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:36pm
 
Oh yeah  
Been meaning to ask

I have not installed solar power -- I thought because I have no nth facing roof, and i have bulk tall trees around, that it wouldn't be efficient.

But I've been re-thinking.

This is real basic I know Embarrassed but if solar panels still collect on cloudy days,  .. just less efficiently, then surely  shading by trees is not proscriptive.  Is that so?

And my house gables face east and west, but the whole roof is in sun for much of the day.
Not a big roof mind you, galvanised - 15' ......

Would solar power suit my situation.  I've discussed it with a few people, but Smiley they weren't enthusiastic.

Why not?   Words of wisdom Muso??
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #34 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:03am
 
Emma wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:36pm:
Oh yeah  
Been meaning to ask

I have not installed solar power -- I thought because I have no nth facing roof, and i have bulk tall trees around, that it wouldn't be efficient.

But I've been re-thinking.

This is real basic I know Embarrassed but if solar panels still collect on cloudy days,  .. just less efficiently, then surely  shading by trees is not proscriptive.  Is that so?

And my house gables face east and west, but the whole roof is in sun for much of the day.
Not a big roof mind you, galvanised - 15' ......

Would solar power suit my situation.  I've discussed it with a few people, but Smiley they weren't enthusiastic.

Why not?   Words of wisdom Muso??


It would probably work out as too expensive, but look into it yourself.  I think the government subsidy is going soon too.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #35 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 5:42pm
 
muso wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:09pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
Riiiiight...
And of course you can tell us where it was done (the geographic location that receives sunlight for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year), what date or dates it happened, and who deigned and built it.....Can't you????



Of course you can't receive solar energy 24 hours  Grin However, you can store it, and various storage technologies have become routine overseas.

If (it's a big if) we could construct a world-wide HVDC grid, then 24 hour solar would be possible without even bothering about storage.

Now that's not too much of a pipe dream (don't take that wrong Jalane), because there are HVDC transmission lines 2000 km long. The longest so far is 2400km.

The advantage of HVDC is the low transmission losses and relatively low currents involved. (Think Ohms Law) A fairly thin conductor will work ok, but the switching circuits wear out very quickly.

hvdc IS ALREADY IN aUSTRALIA!  Cheesy Grin Grin
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #36 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 7:55am
 
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 5:42pm:
muso wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:09pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
Riiiiight...
And of course you can tell us where it was done (the geographic location that receives sunlight for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year), what date or dates it happened, and who deigned and built it.....Can't you????



Of course you can't receive solar energy 24 hours  Grin However, you can store it, and various storage technologies have become routine overseas.

If (it's a big if) we could construct a world-wide HVDC grid, then 24 hour solar would be possible without even bothering about storage.

Now that's not too much of a pipe dream (don't take that wrong Jalane), because there are HVDC transmission lines 2000 km long. The longest so far is 2400km.

The advantage of HVDC is the low transmission losses and relatively low currents involved. (Think Ohms Law) A fairly thin conductor will work ok, but the switching circuits wear out very quickly.

hvdc IS ALREADY IN aUSTRALIA!  Cheesy Grin Grin


Yes it is. The link between Tasmania and Victoria is HVDC for example.  It's "only" 400kV.  A Global network would need to work on 1000kV.

It's not a limitation of technology. It's just a question of having the insight to construct a global network. It could be possible to justify it on the back of conventional energy generation, but there is minimal solar electricity to share at the moment. It's a small proportion.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
gizmo_2655
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 16010
South West NSW
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:31am
 
muso wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 7:55am:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 5:42pm:
muso wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:09pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
Riiiiight...
And of course you can tell us where it was done (the geographic location that receives sunlight for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year), what date or dates it happened, and who deigned and built it.....Can't you????



Of course you can't receive solar energy 24 hours  Grin However, you can store it, and various storage technologies have become routine overseas.

If (it's a big if) we could construct a world-wide HVDC grid, then 24 hour solar would be possible without even bothering about storage.

Now that's not too much of a pipe dream (don't take that wrong Jalane), because there are HVDC transmission lines 2000 km long. The longest so far is 2400km.

The advantage of HVDC is the low transmission losses and relatively low currents involved. (Think Ohms Law) A fairly thin conductor will work ok, but the switching circuits wear out very quickly.

hvdc IS ALREADY IN aUSTRALIA!  Cheesy Grin Grin


Yes it is. The link between Tasmania and Victoria is HVDC for example.  It's "only" 400kV.  A Global network would need to work on 1000kV.

It's not a limitation of technology. It's just a question of having the insight to construct a global network. It could be possible to justify it on the back of conventional energy generation, but there is minimal solar electricity to share at the moment. It's a small proportion.


It would also involve making agreements between countries to sell power to each other at a reasonable 'set' rate....
Back to top
 

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat
 
IP Logged
 
skippy.
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 20882
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 3:02pm
 
Emma wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:36pm:
Oh yeah  
Been meaning to ask

I have not installed solar power -- I thought because I have no nth facing roof, and i have bulk tall trees around, that it wouldn't be efficient.

But I've been re-thinking.

This is real basic I know Embarrassed but if solar panels still collect on cloudy days,  .. just less efficiently, then surely  shading by trees is not proscriptive.  Is that so?

And my house gables face east and west, but the whole roof is in sun for much of the day.
Not a big roof mind you, galvanised - 15' ......

Would solar power suit my situation.  I've discussed it with a few people, but Smiley they weren't enthusiastic.

Why not?   Words of wisdom Muso??

Your panels don't have to be on the roof, you could build a small structure just for your panels, I have a neighbour that did just that.
Back to top
 

  freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 6:22pm
 
I've thought about that too,  but having made some enquiries it seems east/west orientation is acceptable.  But no way for south.

I was actually hoping to get a system that can be 'switched' so that it can just be used to power my house. Everyone says that would require buying solar batteries.  V exp. 
Mainly because living in bush, should a fire take out power, and having no town water, there is no way to access my water supply if a fire came thru. 

Have to keep thinking about it for now, thanks anyway.
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
skippy.
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 20882
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #40 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 7:22am
 
Emma wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 6:22pm:
I've thought about that too,  but having made some enquiries it seems east/west orientation is acceptable.  But no way for south.

I was actually hoping to get a system that can be 'switched' so that it can just be used to power my house. Everyone says that would require buying solar batteries.  V exp.  
Mainly because living in bush, should a fire take out power, and having no town water, there is no way to access my water supply if a fire came thru.  

Have to keep thinking about it for now, thanks anyway.

You can do that too, I have another neighbour that has sell back to the grid solar power as well as a battery bank for themselves should they get a power outage, which is very common here. I live in the bush too, I live on stand alone solar with just batteries,and yes the batteries can be expensive but if you spend some time looking around there are some bargains on E bay and the like, I ended up getting some ex Telstra batteries that had only ever been trickle charged and they cost a tenth of the price had they been brand new.
If you live in the bush,do you have water tanks or a dam?
I'd invest in a fire fighter pump if you do, or a  generator.
Back to top
 

  freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
WWW  
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #41 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 3:07pm
 
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:31am:
It would also involve making agreements between countries to sell power to each other at a reasonable 'set' rate....


Yes, but that's not exactly a sticking point. It already happens in Europe. With Solar, it could even be easier. All you'd need is some kind of power swap deal with opposite hemispheres.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #42 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 3:19pm
 
Emma wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 6:22pm:
I've thought about that too,  but having made some enquiries it seems east/west orientation is acceptable.  But no way for south.

I was actually hoping to get a system that can be 'switched' so that it can just be used to power my house. Everyone says that would require buying solar batteries.  V exp.  
Mainly because living in bush, should a fire take out power, and having no town water, there is no way to access my water supply if a fire came thru.  

Have to keep thinking about it for now, thanks anyway.


As far as I know, you can go with either grid connected (you don't use any of the Solar Power) or Standalone (you use all the Solar power). I don't think that there is a switched option. If I'm wrong, I'd be delighted if somebody would correct me. The standalone systems are much more expensive in Urban areas, but not too bad in Rural areas, because the government still subsidises that. You can claim Renewable Energy Certificates (REC's) Of course you still have to buy batteries, regulators and an inverter or two.

The grid connect systems are cheap everywhere because of the government REC's.  It's funded by large users of electricity who have to pay a levy.  
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #43 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:29pm
 
If you live in the bush,do you have water tanks or a dam?
I'd invest in a fire fighter pump if you do, or a  generator. 
Thanks Skip.

Yep have a dam, a creek and 2 5000Gallon water tanks. Have thought about the water pump/ generator options - can't decide, and don't know enough at the mo.

I think I'd prefer ALL THREE.  Smiley Wink
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
gizmo_2655
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 16010
South West NSW
Gender: male
Re: Wind, Water, and Solar Power for the World
Reply #44 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 11:16pm
 
muso wrote on Nov 24th, 2011 at 3:07pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:31am:
It would also involve making agreements between countries to sell power to each other at a reasonable 'set' rate....


Yes, but that's not exactly a sticking point. It already happens in Europe. With Solar, it could even be easier. All you'd need is some kind of power swap deal with opposite hemispheres.


Yes, but the countries in Europe are under a common government ( the EU) and the distances involved are much smaller..
Back to top
 

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print