namnugenot wrote on Aug 11
th, 2012 at 3:45pm:
[quote author=455D5B47280 link=1316224167/580#580 date=1344657832]
I reject your assumption I do not accept basic atmospheric science. What I reject is that AGW, as it put into practice, is actual science.
So explain your understanding of how carbon dioxide acts as a greenhouse gas. That's starting with basic atmospheric physics. I want to find out exactly where (and why) you depart from the science that is taught in every physics department in the world.
Quote:You see the beauty of AGW as a subject is that it is such a movable feast. It is an evolution of hypothesis and a selective and interpretive application of data to suit the observation that the earth is in a warming trend.
Not really. The observations are just confirmation of the consequences of the physical science. Don't get me wrong. The observations are certainly useful confirmations but they confirm the initial hypothesis which comes from the physical properties of the Carbon dioxide molecule, as well as the water molecule, methane, ozone, nitrous oxide etc..
Quote:It has been doing so for about the last 18k years and is not controversial or disputed by myself.
Incorrect. It was actually a cooling trend prior to industrialisation, but that's probably irrelevent anyway given that there is a physical basis to the science.
Quote:I also reject your view that the paleoclimate has nothing to offer science in illuminating the role of CO2.{/quote]
I didn't actually say that if you read my post. We can actually learn quite a bit from the paleoclimate without going back 150 million years plus in geological time, which is where the elevated levels of CO2 that you mention come in to play.
[quote]
I will however be on fairly solid ground in saying ancient CO2 obeyed the same physical laws as modern CO2. There is also I think general scientific agreement that CO2 was much higher, although as with all proxies this is far from exact, over most of the course of time that life has been reasonably widespread over the planet.
Of course it did, but there are many other factors apart from CO2. MOTR touched on the distribution of continents and the effects of ocean currents. I brought up the subject of solar output. There are many other factors that come into play, including the fact that there is less vegetation and less carbon sink, and the fact that we don't quite understand the orbital characteristics of the Earth say 150 million years ago and that a lot of the finer detail is missing in the older paleoclimate data. Many more proxies are available for the Quaternary period, such as lacustrine varve deposits, isotope analysis of ocean sediments and less reliable proxies such as tree ring data for even more recent data.
Quote:Even ice cores have been considered to have underestimated the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by looking at other proxies.
You've jumped several hundred million years ahead when talking about ice cores. They are only good for the last million years or so.
Quote:However there is no monopoly on truth here and in the long run it is irrelevant.
The conservation of energy is a good start to understanding the implications of increased atmospheric CO2.