Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Close encounters...with precious native fauna (Read 588 times)
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Close encounters...with precious native fauna
Aug 19th, 2011 at 5:06pm
 



Sssshhhh....I'm hunting Bandicoot - out the back of a Semi-local fast food restaurant...

We used to have lots of them in our backyards and local parks where I grew up in Sydney (in Howard's former Bennelongland) - but they were mostly killed-off or driven out by domestic pets...

I hear that they've been having somewhat of a resurgence in parts of Sydney and environs over the past few years...

A couple of years ago, I discovered one? which hung out near the waiting bay of a Maccas on the Central Coast - collecting food scraps in short and quick dashes out from a landscaped garden bed. I saw it on several occasions over a period of months - then not again until I've recently seen some more around here...in 3 different spots in the same large carpark...

They're quite cute and it's nice to know that they're making a comeback!

I hope that this little colony of Bandicoots are not gonna be baited and killed off by accident - as there's been a growing rabbit colony hanging about in the evenings in the grassed area of the adjacent carpark...until very recently...

Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Close encounters...with precious native fauna
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 6:40pm
 
Equitist wrote on Aug 19th, 2011 at 5:06pm:
Sssshhhh....I'm hunting Bandicoot - out the back of a Semi-local fast food restaurant...

We used to have lots of them in our backyards and local parks where I grew up in Sydney (in Howard's former Bennelongland) - but they were mostly killed-off or driven out by domestic pets...

I hear that they've been having somewhat of a resurgence in parts of Sydney and environs over the past few years...

A couple of years ago, I discovered one? which hung out near the waiting bay of a Maccas on the Central Coast - collecting food scraps in short and quick dashes out from a landscaped garden bed. I saw it on several occasions over a period of months - then not again until I've recently seen some more around here...in 3 different spots in the same large carpark...

They're quite cute and it's nice to know that they're making a comeback!

I hope that this little colony of Bandicoots are not gonna be baited and killed off by accident - as there's been a growing rabbit colony hanging about in the evenings in the grassed area of the adjacent carpark...until very recently...


Saw a Kookaburra the other day: two infact!

Hadn't seen one for )*&'n years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
Equitist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9632
NSW
Re: Close encounters...with precious native fauna
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:24pm
 




I do hope you are joking - especially if you live outside a metropolitan area!

Where I live, I rarely go more than a day without seeing at least one Kookaburra - in my backyard!

Wink

Back to top
 

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Close encounters...with precious native fauna
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:43pm
 
Equitist wrote on Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:24pm:
I do hope you are joking - especially if you live outside a metropolitan area!

Where I live, I rarely go more than a day without seeing at least one Kookaburra - in my backyard!

Wink


Nup, this was not even 5 kms from Perth City: haven't seen any for atleast a decade... the two I saw the other day with Dad were small but Kookaburras atleast!

They're small birds i s'pose but I haven't seen one for so long: I DID REMARK THEY WERE SAMLL THO!!!
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print