Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD (Read 944 times)
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Jun 18th, 2011 at 3:30am
 
I'm hoping someone can clear up a few queries I have -  so call me lazy.

Concerning  Blood Groups, and/or Types.

I know there are several major groups  A B O A+ A- B+ B-   -  at least I think I know this.
Please advise if this so, and the relative % of each group across the planetary population, if known.
 
I also know that there are rarer types  - RH eg. ...(. the only one I know.) That these rarer types can indicate a greater likelihood that the person develops disorders not common to the general population. Is that so?

I know that Group O are universal donors, - the only blood type that does not compromise the system of the recipient, regardless of their own blood type,  and that the use of Plasma has reduced the importance of blood-typing in emergency procedures..
Please advise if this is essentially correct, or not.

Do Blood types appear in different populations, in different percentages?

EG. Would a Mexican population - be likely, or not, to reflect the same distribution of blood types as a Spanish pop.?
Would a Kalahari Bush tribe, display the range of human blood types that the people of a Welsh village do? Or the Inuit?


I think I know that blood type is not dictated by racial or cultural background, but i'm not sure why.
 [b]Is this so?[/b]

Do some groups of people NOT possess common Blood types?.

????? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Sorry - my ignorance is profound.!!



Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member
*****
Offline


MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Posts: 26966
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 10:36pm
 
Good question: go ask it at Dr Karls SelfServiceScienceForum on the ABC site!
Back to top
 

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 12:21am
 
thanks Death 
I'll do that. Smiley
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Enquiring mind
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 104455
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 4:13pm
 
Science has no real answers to these questions, but on the fringes of science, there's speculation.

Some believe blood types to have a diet/evolutionary function. Type O: hunter-gather/high protein diets (30,000 years old), type A: cultivator/vegetarian diets (20,000 tears old), type B: nomadic/flexible diets (10,000 years old), type AB: unknown/somewhere between A and B (1000 years old).

Peter D'Adamo has a popular diet book: Eat Right for your Type.

There's no real proof though. I had a chat with him on his web forum. I found the people who follow his diet to be quite cult-like and defensive.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 5:36pm
 
WOW  -- thanks Karnal!! Smiley

Had no idea this was such an unknown. I assumed, I guess, that if we have mapped the Human Genome - we must know about our blood!!,,....
Doesn't that make you think??
We can produce nano-tech, nuclear fission, create life, read individual cells right down to the micro and beyond,.. and yet we haven't any real clue about ourselves,  what we are doing,  or where we're headed.. It seems a sort of try anything pot-luck approach to science - like enough monkeys typing away at random for long enough will write the ".........." (add ur own)

Personally I think the new humans are already among us - that evolution mainly operates in leaps and bounds - followed by a slow crawl.
But for most of us,  we are just simply ignorant specialists, who rely so unknowingly on existing societal structures, that the shock from the effects of our dabbling in things beyond our ken  will be fatal.  If old age doesn't get us first.

Cool

Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
buzzanddidj
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 14248
Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Gender: male
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:05pm
 
Back to top
 

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'


- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:21pm
 
Thanks for that I've saved it.

And then I wrote a dfgr ( a damned smacking good reply) and - did something   and it is gone. Cry Cry

I digressed to Land for Wildlife- think we need a topic!!!! cant repeat that all again

Then said   - in summary -  Angry Angry Angry Angry bugger  Sad

Interest in blood due to issues of nationality and susceptibility of types to blood/brain disorders.

CONCLUSION-??
Blood type cannot dtermine nationality  or , as a rule, susc. to disease, 'cept for the factors. And thats genetics creeping in, isn't it?

We are all brothers and sisters -- its not us and them --- ITS JUST US!! Smiley
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Emma
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 9853
OZ
Gender: female
Re: Questions re Human Biology - specifically BLOOD
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:31pm
 
Oh and thanks for the subtle editing - no probs - noticed it a couple of times before ( at least!)

I do wonder at it sometimes though,  and the substitutions  ??  funny!!    Is it only on General Board -  are the other boards - Member -run - subject to diff rules  -- ie are there mods overseeing some boards 'religiously' Smiley and others not at all - or much??

Just getting to know you, getting to know the things you do... dah da da da dahh da da da........! Grin
Back to top
 

live every day
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print