Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NSW Treasury chief quits (Read 9015 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

NSW Treasury chief quits
Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:16pm

NSW Treasury boss leaves jobAAP
April 28, 2011, 1:35 pm 5 CommentsSend

NSW Treasury secretary Michael Schur is leaving his position, the state government says.

Treasurer Mike Baird said on Thursday Mr Schur would leave the top public service job immediately, and by mutual agreement.

Mr Shur had been on leave since the coalition received a preliminary Treasury report on the budget and state finances a few days after it was elected to government on March 26.

"I would like to thank Mr Schur for the very significant contribution he has made serving the NSW public," Mr Baird said in a statement.

"He has led Treasury during a very difficult period that included dealing with the consequences of the global financial downturn.

"I genuinely wish him all the best for the future."

Mr Schur had been expected not to return to his job, after going on leave last month.

The government had expressed concerns about the way Treasury had operated under the previous 15-year-old Labor government.

It also claimed it had been left with a cumulative budget black hole of up to $5.2 billion over five years, and called in a former NSW Treasury head to audit the department's accounts.

That audit, released on Wednesday, found Treasury's budget assumptions for the four years from 2010/11 to 2013/14, as well as a review in December 2010 were based on information available at the time.

The audit was conducted by former Treasury secretary and now acting Treasury secretary Michael Lambert.

Mr Baird said Mr Lambert would remain in the position until it could be filled permanently.

He indicated the job would be advertised and a worldwide search undertaken to identify the best candidate.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: NSW Treasury chief quits
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:16pm

Interesting. "Mutual consent" - I like that.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:44pm

Disgracefull behaviour by the employer in this case.

They have made the employee take full responsibility for getting it right just because they wanted for it to be wrong.

While I am willing to give the Barrie Barrel government a fair go they have definatly made a substandard Liberal type beginning.

Frothing at the mouth getting it wrong then blaming someone else, I hope they can fix this before their term progresses too far or it may be their only term.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:20pm

Given the history of the Labor govt or govts in NSW, I am quite prepared to believe that their budgets were dodgy to an unacceptable degree.
I don't know whether this head of Treasury was complicit in making them so but the new govt appears to think so.
It is high time heads of Treasury had the power - in fact I don't know that they do not already - had the power to insist that the public financial statements are honest in substance as well as in fact & form.

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:20pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:44pm:

They have made the employee take full responsibility for getting it right just because they wanted for it to be wrong.

While I am willing to give the Barrie Barrel government a fair go they have definatly made a substandard Liberal type beginning.

Frothing at the mouth getting it wrong then blaming someone else, I hope they can fix this before their term progresses too far or it may be their only term.

Someone from the left falls on their sword and it's always assumed they were pushed from the right

goes to show there are no honour from the left

You got any proof of this or it's just bitter resentment from the left?

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:54pm

Maqqa wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:20pm:

Someone from the left falls on their sword and it's always assumed they were pushed from the right

goes to show there are no honour from the left

You got any proof of this or it's just bitter resentment from the left?

As usual the pot calls the Kettle black.

I have no issue with having all the doubts in the world over the state of the budget, after all the truth is that the Costello budgets and accounting were the exception not the rule when it comes to all government.

What i find typical is that an independent head of treasury has been incompetently used to try and make political gain by O'Farrell and if the public were not so relieved to be rid of labor they would feel sick that the government they elected with an obscene majority is not performing well in its initial stages and come to think of it got elected with no policy of any consequence.

The real worry is that the incompetent labor governments will only make way for unaccountable and arrogant conservative disasters. We really need to get things in perspective and get rid of the low socio "need a drama" attitude we have developed and begin focusing on what the future holds and what to do about it. Can you imagine what the reaction would be if the government wanted to build another Canberra considering the childish rubbish we see over the NBN?

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:09pm

woooosh couldnt wait could you dna...no surprises there.

so you dont think anyone is responsible for the fiasco thats called NSW..

you honestly think the chief of the treasury who has sat back and let the State get into this mess and not a thing working or going anywhere.. should retain his position and not in anyway be accountable... my god..

I bet there is no way would you be saying that if the boot was on the other foot...

if the libs had been in 15 years and left this god forsaken mess you would have wanted the whole lot gone..

you are still calling for heads after the wheat for oil..that went through an investigation..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:17pm

What i find typical is that an independent head of treasury has been incompetently used to try and make political gain by O'Farrell and if the public were not so relieved to be rid of labor they would feel sick that the government they elected with an obscene majority is not performing well in its initial stages and come to think of it got elected with no policy of any consequence.

xxx

this is the trouble they are no longer INDEPENDENT..

Henry was a prime example of that I am thinking..

and its a well known fact that the public service is just another branch of the ALP..

top bureaucrats need to stand up and be counted they get paid a hell of a lot... and they have to accept their share of responsibilty.... they sign off on everything that the govt spends..

I dont object to him going at all... I am sure he saw it coming and any decent person would do so anyway... he worked hand in glove with a bunch of crooks and for all we know encouraged them to sell the Peoples Power for peanuts. because the treasure chest was bleeding to death

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:04pm

cods wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:09pm:

I think the problem is that Barry could not wait - This was his first day on the Job, standing aside (puting on leave) a senior public servant who had got nothing wrong and doing it before he even had any of the facts.

You can not really defend this type of bullying behaviour can you?

Me not being able to wait has little impact but Barry doing the same thing affects peoples lives fairly dramatically.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:06pm

Maqqa wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:20pm:
[Someone from the left falls on their sword and it's always assumed they were pushed from the right

Who said he is from the left - I would think an unbiased public servant or just as likley a Liberal supporter. (now x liberal supporter).

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:13pm

so you dont think anyone is responsible for the fiasco thats called NSW..

you honestly think the chief of the treasury who has sat back and let the State get into this mess and not a thing working or going anywhere.. should retain his position and not in anyway be accountable... my god..

......if the libs had been in 15 years and left this god forsaken mess..

What Mess?

you are still calling for heads after the wheat for oil..that went through an investigation..

Where the people who set up the investigation were the ones who needed to be investigated and had set the terms of the investigation.

Yeah thet was going to get the right answers for sure.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:48pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:04pm:

I think the problem is that Barry could not wait - This was his first day on the Job, standing aside (puting on leave) a senior public servant who had got nothing wrong and doing it before he even had any of the facts.

You can not really defend this type of bullying behaviour can you?

Me not being able to wait has little impact but Barry doing the same thing affects peoples lives fairly dramatically.

what utter crap...

lol  find it interesting your are full of sympathy for a treasurer...

give him a go a fair go.. like the one you give Abbott you mean...lol

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:41pm

cods wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:48pm:
lol  find it interesting your are full of sympathy for a treasurer...

You mean an employee who has definitively been treated badly by an over zealous employer who had his information wrong.

Can you never look at the facts and just say hey that is wrong.

[ give him a go a fair go.. like the one you give Abbott you mean...lol

No not like Abbott or how you have given Labor leaders any latitude either Rudd or Gillard - I mean see how he performs, he has clearly started very badly though and he will not get away with too many more like this rubbish.

In Abbotts case it is a lot different - there we have a very much known quantity, we know where he stands on many issues, How he applies his honesty, how poor his past performance has been on occasion.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:04am

Dnarever wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:41pm:
lol  find it interesting your are full of sympathy for a treasurer...

You mean an employee who has definitively been treated badly by an over zealous employer who had his information wrong.

Can you never look at the facts and just say hey that is wrong.

[ give him a go a fair go.. like the one you give Abbott you mean...lol

No not like Abbott or how you have given Labor leaders any latitude either Rudd or Gillard - I mean see how he performs, he has clearly started very badly though and he will not get away with too many more like this rubbish.

In Abbotts case it is a lot different - there we have a very much known quantity, we know where he stands on many issues, How he applies his honesty, how poor his past performance has been on occasion.

sorry mate but the head of treasury is a little more than just another employee.... if you dont understand that then you do have a problem..

I believe the man resigned..maybe he was asked one or two to difficult questions who knows.. maybe he didnt want to work with the new govt...

its you that are jumping to conclusions and judging someone from the right of course..

however where you can honestly say the treasurer has nothing to answer for is a mystery to me... he is not running the local Bingo you know..

govt at any level is bigger than that.

I mean you even claim NSW isnt in a mess.. my god where have you been...and when books dont balance.. well who do you hold responsible..

believe it or not the Minister doesnt do the accounting.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 10:10am

cods wrote on Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:04am:
sorry mate but the head of treasury is a little more than just another employee.... if you dont understand that then you do have a problem..

At the end of the day in that relationship he is just another employee.

I believe the man resigned..maybe he was asked one or two to difficult questions who knows.. maybe he didnt want to work with the new govt...

He was put on indefinate leave which can only be considered a disciplinary measure and then he was completly vindicated by the report.

Anyone treated in that manner by the new cowboy in the job (one day) would understand that any trust in a working relationship had been destroyed.

Can you not just once stand up and admit the obvious truth that your mate just got it horribly wrong - its not that difficult.

however where you can honestly say the treasur
y
has nothing to answer for is a mystery to me... he is not running the local Bingo you know..

Their own report is saying that he got it right, it was barry who was wrong - don't you get it?

believe it or not the Minister doesnt do the accounting.

Yes Barry just showed us what happens when they try.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print