Foolosophy wrote on Mar 12
th, 2011 at 11:34pm:
muso wrote on Mar 12
th, 2011 at 10:57pm:
Have fun Foolosophy. My approach of attempting to explain the science from all angles is clearly not working.
Explain the science from all angles?
What do you mean? Care to elaborate?
Read the rest of the thread. It's a difficult process because I was trying to get some buy-in at each stage. First of all I explained how the greenhouse effect actually works in terms of greenhouse gases dispersing long wave infrared radiation that would otherwise have escaped into space, then I discussed the actual quantities of carbon dioxide produced using coal and oil production figures in giga tonnes, and demonstrated that it was of the same order of the increasing CO2 in the atmosphere (taking into account that a proportion is absorbed into ocean sinks etc).
We have at least one poster here who can follow the scientific argument quite well.
In my experience ridiculing somebody's position on the matter is probably counter productive, and we just end up with a slanging match, making it difficult for somebody else. We need to demonstrate how the science backs it up, and it's possible to do that using neutral, non-emotive language and without resorting to "appeal to authority". (eg. 2000 Climate scientists can't be wrong, or "what are your qualifications in climate science?")
Unless you're getting into the details of climate sensitivity and the derivation of radiative forcing equations, it can all be explained by basic science. Now feel free to continue as you are, but I just offered a more constructive approach, although it does take some effort.
Other people read these threads. A lot of people in the general community are confused by the various views that are put across. You just have to look at the newspaper reports to see that. An example was an article that asked (paraphrased) "What do you tell your kids about Climate Change with all the confusing information that's going around?"
Our challenge is to explain it in simple indisputable terms, one mouthful at a time. Now I know that takes a bit more time and effort, but I think it's worth it.
Please don't take this as a criticism. I was there once.