Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
She Was Too Proud To Go On The Dole. (Read 4169 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

She Was Too Proud To Go On The Dole.
Feb 26th, 2011 at 12:17pm

A 21-YEAR-OLD woman committed three armed robberies because she was too proud to go to Centrelink for support, the Supreme Court in Launceston was told yesterday.   Sad

Cassandra Lee Yost, of Edward St, East Launceston, pleaded guilty to stealing $1450 at knifepoint in three separate armed robberies late last year.

She was apprehended after a relative identified her from video surveillance publicised by Tasmania Police.

Defence counsel Frances McCracken said Yost had been a good student who completed Year 12 with top marks.

She said she had been constantly employed since leaving school but lost her job last August.

Yost had planned to live off her savings but was unable to get a job.  Sad

An addiction to alcohol caused her to accumulate a debt of $3500 from associates.  Sad

"She was misguidedly too proud to apply to Centrelink for support," Ms McCracken said.  Sad

She said Yost was physically threatened by associates about the debt and could see no way out of her situation and began keeping a knife and a wig in her handbag.

She said Yost had vomited after each of the robberies.

Crown prosecutor Alan Hensley said Yost had used a kitchen knife to rob a store at Ravenswood on November 17, stealing $350.

On December 1, she stole $110 cash and two bottles of wine.

On December 11, she stole $1000 from an IGA store.

Chief Justice Ewan Crawford ordered a pre-sentence report and remanded her in custody for sentence on April 15 at 4pm.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: She Was Too Proud To Go On The Dole.
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 12:21pm

One does wonder, how many other people are unemployed, that are not on the dole?.  The ones that are not even counted in the official unemployment numbers.  The ones that might be to proud, to go on the dole, like this poor woman.   Sad

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 12:36pm

This is just another of so many stories of drug addiction.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:59pm

She's better off in jail than doing the stupid job agency 'courses' associated with unemployment benefits. A roof over her head plus full board and colour tv, a/c heating for Tassie, and she has the opportunity to study a real course that might lead to a job on release, and she might dry out along the way.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:09pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:59pm:
She's better off in jail than doing the stupid job agency 'courses' associated with unemployment benefits. A roof over her head plus full board and colour tv, a/c heating for Tassie, and she has the opportunity to study a real course that might lead to a job on release, and she might dry out along the way.

I must agree partially with that pansi....

I've only ever managed to find one job, through job agency courses....in something like 5 years ( in total) in the unemployment system....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:28pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:09pm:

I've only ever managed to find one job, through job agency courses....in something like 5 years ( in total) in the unemployment system....

I was half joking gizmo. I hate to see young people in jail, but she would have a better chance of getting her future sorted than she has through the job network........it's a scam. Imagine the hundreds of thousands of people they put through courses in any given year, and imagine how few get a job out of it.

I know of one middle aged lady who has been doing the courses for four years, all sorts of courses, she must have done the same course more than once.....and still no job, she said you could count on one hand the number of interviews she's had........but the job agencies never give up hope, they still push her into one after another.

Anyone would assume that she is the most well educated unemployed person in the country.....but she's not, simply because the courses are not worth shite.

Would they put a young fellow through a welding or bricklaying course? no way, they might all get jobs out of it, then they've just put themselves out of a job.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:11pm

Different country I know but I went into the dole office many years ago now when I took 6 months off from finishing school and going to uni.

I went in to ask if I could claim anything.

I was only in there for about 20 mins but it has to be 20 of the most depressing minutes of my life.

Talk about a room full of failure and depression - I felt quite down after walking out.

PS - They told me I was entitled to 50 pounds per week until I started uni.
I told them not to bother and I got a summer job instead.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:38pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:28pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:09pm:

I was half joking gizmo. I hate to see young people in jail, but she would have a better chance of getting her future sorted than she has through the job network........it's a scam. Imagine the hundreds of thousands of people they put through courses in any given year, and imagine how few get a job out of it.

I know of one middle aged lady who has been doing the courses for four years, all sorts of courses, she must have done the same course more than once.....and still no job, she said you could count on one hand the number of interviews she's had........but the job agencies never give up hope, they still push her into one after another.

Anyone would assume that she is the most well educated unemployed person in the country.....but she's not, simply because the courses are not worth shite.

Would they put a young fellow through a welding or bricklaying course? no way, they might all get jobs out of it, then they've just put themselves out of a job.

the jails would probably teach her to rob banks!!!!!! and do hard drugs instead of the grog

isnt it about time these bloody lawyers put a bit of shame on these people instead of excuses like" ashamed to go to centrelink".. got to admit thats a new one!

its crap and we all know it.. these people I am truly sorry for but I am more sorry for the victims that were robbed and had a knife stuck in the faces.

how about making excuses for them poor buggers.or at least a bit of sympathy..

the pendulum has swung the complete opposite way now.

and the law is completely on the villains side I just know I would never ever want to be a victim as there would be no justice in this country for me and it would just eat away at me..

pansi I dont put the responsibility on the system the system is trying to do the right thing.. it is up to people to follow the course that their is work out there for.. its changing times.. we cant all be doing the thing we expect to do... we have to change.. because if we dont we lose out.

whats wrong with her she cant get a job waitressing or even cleaning.. to proud?

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:17pm

Who knows what is wrong.  The fact remains though, she said that for some reason, she couldn't get a job.  Yes I know its hard to believe, with jobs on every street corner, is it not?.   Sad

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:27pm

Depression and alcohol issues may have contributed to this .. by the sounds of things.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:28pm

Quote:
One does wonder, how many other people are unemployed, that are not on the dole?.  The ones that are not even counted in the official unemployment numbers.  The ones that might be to proud, to go on the dole, like this poor woman.   Sad  

There are a great many Aussie women (including young mothers) who are prostituting themselves (often to total strangers, but also to regulars/live-ins) because they cannot survive independently on either Centrelink benefits or the low wages that women are paid...

These vulnerable women find themselves with no alternative but to expose themselves (and often their children) to disease and/or day-to-day abuse and violence just to survive in our increasingly-inequitable economy...

If/when they do go to Control-link, they are treated as second-class citizens and demeaned, harassed, intimidated, scrutinised  and intruded-upon at every step of the way - not just by Control-link staff but also by their Job Network parasite proxies...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:29pm

Look we all face tough times in life.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:31pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:29pm:
Look we all face tough times in life.

This is true .. but some people face harder times than others Andrei.

Also .. some can handle hard times a tad better than others (and for all sorts of different reasons).

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:34pm

.. whereas some cannot (as this case clearly demonstrates).

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:41pm

I'm sure if she had to choose between a cleaning job and armed robbery, she would take the job. Sometimes there is no choice. Have you seen people standing on the highway with a sign saying "work wanted". That would be hard to do.

Sometimes no work means no work whatsoever.

How about public servants given $300 each for health initiatives, so they can join a gym or take yoga classes, no proof needed, sure they'll all do the right thing....it's seriously a weird world.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print