Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Telstra to cut 12,000 jobs (Read 1255 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Telstra to cut 12,000 jobs
Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:51am

Anyone hear about this on the news ??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/30/3025610.htm

Quote:
Telstra stays mum on job cut plans

Telstra has conceded it will cut staff numbers, but refused to confirm a report that it could be by as much as 6,000.

The telco is on a $1 billion drive to reverse sliding revenues, with its market share and fixed telephone line business in decline.

It has named improving customer satisfaction as its number one goal, but says to do that it will require fewer staff.

The Australian Financial Review newspaper says it understands Telstra is going to slash 6,000 jobs or 15 per cent of its workforce over the next three years, citing unnamed well-placed sources.

In a statement, Telstra says it has not confirmed the number of affected employees, but says it will be reducing management bureaucracy and increasing the number of online self-service systems for customers.

After yesterday's investor briefing, Telstra shares closed two cents lower at $2.68.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Telstra to cut 12,000 jobs
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:02am

<<increasing the number of online self-service systems for customers.>>
................................................................................

oh oh! I thought that was running at maximum capacity already.

Tell it to the machine, real people don't want to hear about your problems.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:07am

Nail, you do realise that 6000 and 12000 are not the same amount?

IP Logged

Binary Ninja

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:25pm

they are still advertising positions within Telstra

Suck it up Princess's Labor are in
IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:29pm

Binary Ninja wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:25pm:
they are still advertising positions within Telstra

Within Telstra, or within Telstra 'Industry Partners'???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:35pm

Telstra/Telecom  has always been badly run and has never had a customer focus.
It has been a very long time since I have had the misfortune to deal with this greedy, pampered and unprofessional company and I hope to see them completely disappear from this countries business landscape.
My advice to Telstra employees...GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN  Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:39pm

adelcrow wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:35pm:
Telstra/Telecom  has always been badly run and has never had a customer focus.
It has been a very long time since I have had the misfortune to deal with this greedy, pampered and unprofessional company and I hope to see them completely disappear from this countries business landscape.
My advice to Telstra employees...GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN  Smiley

No, when they were Telecom/PMG...they were very customer focused...because  they were Government owned, and didn't need to worry about profit....

It was only after the beginning of Privatisation that Telecom/Telstra became Profit focussed....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:22pm

BigOl64 wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:07am:

Yes I do but I heard 12,000 on the news on the radio this morning so it depends on who you get the story from.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 3:25am

Telstra?
rip-off.

never been any good since the take-over.
j.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 7:21am

Sir lastnail wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:22pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:07am:

Yes I do but I heard 12,000 on the news on the radio this morning so it depends on who you get the story from.

for those who are new to rusty you will learn that he only broadcasts doom and gloom.. so 12000 looks far better in his eyes..much more morbid... I havent noticed all those little Telecom vans that used to run the streets of late. have they all gone as well??..lets face it telecommunications are the future, everything to do with  it will be hands off, its the way of the world now. get used to it rusty and crook.

I am awaiting the day they invent a washing machine that irons and folds all at the same time....bliss.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 9:49am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:39pm:

No, when they were Telecom/PMG...they were very customer focused...because  they were Government owned, and didn't need to worry about profit....

It was only after the beginning of Privatisation that Telecom/Telstra became Profit focussed....

Are you serious?

At least when they privatised the drones that worked for Telstra had to feign a smile. 

Telstra should be allowed to die a natural death.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 8:55am

qikvtec wrote on Oct 1st, 2010 at 9:49am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:39pm:

No, when they were Telecom/PMG...they were very customer focused...because  they were Government owned, and didn't need to worry about profit....

Are you serious?

At least when they privatised the drones that worked for Telstra had to feign a smile.  

Telstra should be allowed to die a natural death.

Sure I'm serious...
Before privatisation, how long did it take between reporting a fault, and the linesman showing up???
About 24 hours, in my experience...

Now, after privatisation.......it can take up 2 weeks (or several months in some cases)......
Bacially, there were more technical staff, and no one worried about overtime.......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 10:02am

codswal wrote on Oct 1st, 2010 at 7:21am:
for those who are new to rusty you will learn that he only broadcasts doom and gloom.. so 12000 looks far better in his eyes..much more morbid... I havent noticed all those little Telecom vans that used to run the streets of late. have they all gone as well??..lets face it telecommunications are the future, everything to do with  it will be hands off, its the way of the world now. get used to it rusty and crook.

I am awaiting the day they invent a washing machine that irons and folds all at the same time....bliss.

then why don't you back me up when I post positive threads about renewable energy or electric vehicles ??

I suggest you don't read or respond to anything i post you idiot.

I'm just posting what was on the national news. Are you going to tell us that the whole media is doom and gloom as well ?

learn to debate issues properly instead of attacking the messenger or go back to yahoo forum where there is no more negative posts about anything.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print